Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Thanks for that. I assume the east side of the Swampy marsh (SST and Swede Ridge) is snow free? I know they are deadfall free.
    Swede Ridge has a patch of snow right at the bottom of Redline (aka Heart Attack Hill) but is otherwise clear. East side of Swampy Loop is all clear, with the water crossing running a bit high. I didn't go on SST.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Whats the word on Tumalo Ridge trail?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by drunberg View Post
    Whats the word on Tumalo Ridge trail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Tumalo Ridge clear of snow and tree fall.
    Sector 16 clear of snow, obstructed by 80 downed trees. Avoid.
    Upper Whoops clear of snow and tree fall.
    Skyliners clear of snow and tree fall.
    According to Dry Side from a week ago, it seems fine

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hiked Swampy Lakes yesterday and the south side of the trail system is clear up to the Swampy Shelter and up to flagline tie. Thanks COTA and Cogwild. Don't know what South Fork is like, but assuming elevation descends, it may be clear . Attempted to hike through the snowbanks along the swampy/flagline tie for a Swampy Loop and lost the trail with BIG snow banks. Not recommended for another week or two. Anything North facing may be covered still with snow.

Afric Pepperbird
    Still two downed trees on Tiddlywinks, on the one short little "more difficult" black diamond (according to the sign) bypass up near the Tiddlywinks and Kiwa intersection. Someone once mentioned the name of this section of trail, but I've forgotten it.

I'm sure it was just overlooked when Tiddlywinks was cleared. But be careful, as this is a fun, fast little section of trail with boulder drops and sharp corners. The two trees come upon you very quickly!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This isn't a condition report, but I wanted to rave about Tyler's from top to bottom.

Last night was the first time I had hit the newly opened single track section on upper/middle Tyler's. Although loose and dusty on top it was SOOO well designed. Fun rock sections, great flow, and FAST!

Thanks for all the hard work COTA and all who volunteer on our local trails.

Afric Pepperbird
    This isn't a condition report, but I wanted to rave about Tyler's from top to bottom.

Last night was the first time I had hit the newly opened single track section on upper/middle Tyler's. Although loose and dusty on top it was SOOO well designed. Fun rock sections, great flow, and FAST!

Thanks for all the hard work COTA and all who volunteer on our local trails.
    It is a great trail. But I highly, highly recommend accessing it via Kiwa Trail. Today, I accessed it via Larsen's, and the loooong, boring climb up the dirt road "access route". Boy, that must be the most boring section of trail in the COTA portfolio. Sure is sweet coming down, though.

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It is a great trail. But I highly, highly recommend accessing it via Kiwa Trail. Today, I accessed it via Larsen's, and the loooong, boring climb up the dirt road "access route". Boy, that must be the most boring section of trail in the COTA portfolio. Sure is sweet coming down, though.
    I'm Planning on riding the full Tyler's with my brother in a week and a half when he is visiting. I'm familiar with and have ridden some other Wanoga trails and really enjoy them. I have planned to access Tyler's via Dinah Moe Hum as I haven't ridden that one either. Dirt Farmer, would you still recommend via Kiwa Trail over the DMH option? And if so, any particular reason?

thanks
    Last edited by scn; 06-05-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you are coming from Edison you would get to the top of Tyler's from DMH. If you are coming from the Wanoga area you take Twinks to Kiwa.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    I'm Planning on riding the full Tyler's with my brother in a week and a half when he is visiting. I'm familiar with and have ridden some other Wanoga trails and really enjoy them. I have planned to access Tyler's via Dinah Moe Hum as I haven't ridden that one either. Dirt Farmer, would you still recommend via Kiwa Trail over the DMH option? And if so, any particular reason?

thanks
    You'll like the entire Tyler's trail. Dinah Moe Hum is good too ... got a pretty steep (1 mile???) climb section going out. Once you get on it, seems to me you're going away from Tyler's and toward Edison sno park. I could be wrong, but I think you pick up Tyler's at about the time that Kiwa hits Dinah Moe Hub. If you started at Edison, you could climb DMH to Tyler's. I like Tiddlywinks and Tyler's better than Kiwa and DMH, but they're all fun.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Depends on what kind of rider you are, or what you are looking for. I did both last week and I'll give you a hint, I rode from DMH the first time and Kiwa the 2nd time. If you like miles and climbing and a great view, start at Edison and do DMH. If you are more into descending and AM riding, just cut over from Wanoga. Save your legs, save some time, and have energy for Tyler's. Both ways end up at the same junction where Tyler's starts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Depends on what kind of rider you are, or what you are looking for. I did both last week and I'll give you a hint, I rode from DMH the first time and Kiwa the 2nd time. If you like miles and climbing and a great view, start at Edison and do DMH. If you are more into descending and AM riding, just cut over from Wanoga. Save your legs, save some time, and have energy for Tyler's. Both ways end up at the same junction where Tyler's starts.
    The view at the summit of DMH is really nice, great spot for a break. I like riding out of Winoga to that spot and then turning it around and heading down Tyler's and if you want some miles and climbing, come back up Storm King toward Winoga.

Afric Pepperbird

thanks
    I suppose it depends on where you start (or park).

A good ride would be to start from Wanoga TH, ride T'winks, head up Kiwa, then take Dinah-Moe to Edison son-park. Take a quick lunch break here. Then, when returning on Dinah-Moe, catch the TT cutoff and have fun. Will you be catching a shuttle where TT meets Conklin road? If not, and you really want to put in the miles, then just take Funner on back to Wanoga and your car (assuming you drove).

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    I think cutting over from Wanoga via TW and Kiwa will end up being the choice. We could save energy for another run on lower TW after doing the whole of Tyler's. Thanks for everyone's input. I initially thought that the Kiwa route would be just as long and as much ascending as from Edison and DMH, but I think that the mtb project information on the Kiwa Trail is incorrect. That section isn't a 5.3 mile trail when looking at the map, more like 2, if I am reading correctly.

Nat
    mtbr member
    ...the Kiwa Trail is incorrect. That section isn't a 5.3 mile trail when looking at the map, more like 2, if I am reading correctly.
    It's pretty short from where it starts on Tiddly. It felt like less than 2 miles the last time I rode it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I think cutting over from Wanoga via TW and Kiwa will end up being the choice. We could save energy for another run on lower TW after doing the whole of Tyler's. Thanks for everyone's input. I initially thought that the Kiwa route would be just as long and as much ascending as from Edison and DMH, but I think that the mtb project information on the Kiwa Trail is incorrect. That section isn't a 5.3 mile trail when looking at the map, more like 2, if I am reading correctly.
    I definitely do not think that section is 5.3 miles ... seemed more like 2-3 and I rode it a few days ago. A great loop when you're done with that and get to the paved road is to pedal over to storm king and then pedal up from there. You can connect with Tyler's again or go up further to Funner or Twinks. The climb up storm king is steady, but not that steep.

mtbr member
    MTBproject has the route correct but the distance wrong. I actually had them change it months ago as they had it mislabeled between DMH and Kiwa. They just never fixed the distance i guess. It' only around a mile i think.

mtbr member

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread

Just arrived in Bend for a few days and was planning on riding. How is this fire influencing the area. Not sure how close it is to Phil's, one of the places I was planning on riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner View Post
    Just arrived in Bend for a few days and was planning on riding. How is this fire influencing the area. Not sure how close it is to Phil's, one of the places I was planning on riding.
    A lot of smoke blowing right into Phil's area. View from my house scary. This fire's raging. Wind is putting the smoke right into Phil's. As long as the winds are blowing south, you might want to find some trails to ride up in Sisters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner View Post
    Local news story here.

The headline says, "residents advised to be prepared for possible evacuation." Not sure if that's click bait/sensational writing to get views or it's that serious. I guess when the fire is 0% contained (according to story) anything is possible and you don't want to be lazy/complacent with a wild fire.

Be careful out there and stay alert.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    Local news story here.

The headline says, "residents advised to be prepared for possible evacuation." Not sure if that's click bait/sensational writing to get views or it's that serious. I guess when the fire is 0% contained (according to story) anything is possible and you don't want to be lazy/complacent with a wild fire.

Actually, residents who live on Skyliners road (near the most awesome Skyliners trailhead) have already been evacuated. I hope for their safety (in addition to hoping to ride there Tuesday).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Let's all hope that Mrazek doesn't get torched! That would be a very sad day indeed.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I'm more worried about my house right now. We're in the level II pre-evac zone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I'm more worried about my house right now. We're in the level II pre-evac zone.
    I hear ya on that one ... I'm in level 1. Yesterday could really see where the fire is, now with smoke everywhere, can't see anything. If it keeps moving south, it puts a lot of trails at risk starting with Mrazek, then pretty much everything NW of Skyliners. Would be really sad if it gets up into Happy Valley and Tumalo Falls. Hot and dry for two more days ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Here's a good link of latest tracking of where the fire is. Looks like it hasn't gotten into Shevlin Park yet but it's moving in that direction.

Wildfire Map & Satellite Images | Wildfire Disaster Interactive Map

mtbr member
    May 2014

Smoke in Sisters

Decided to drive out to Peterson Ridge this morning. Smoke is worse out there. 75yd. visibility. (Guess I'll grab the road bike and head East.

Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    Local news story here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Actually, residents who live on Skyliners road (near the most awesome Skyliners trailhead) have already been evacuated. I hope for their safety (in addition to hoping to ride there Tuesday).
    Smoke will be pretty heavy for I'd imagine about a week or so. Best bet for riding may be to head down to Oakridge instead.

mtbr member
    MSLKauai - looks like the satellite image that you'd posted was a snapshot of an earlier coverage (i.e. when it was 250acres). Here's another satellite image of the 6,000 acre blaze:

https://twitter.com/alanbrandtphoto/...207488/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai View Post
    Here's a good link of latest tracking of where the fire is. Looks like it hasn't gotten into Shevlin Park yet but it's moving in that direction.

Wildfire Map & Satellite Images | Wildfire Disaster Interactive Map
    jjMarS

mtbr member

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread

Best wishes for those directly affected by the fire. My minor trip interruption is nothing in comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This is a serious bummer. Can't believe it's that dry up there already & not a good indicator of the impending fire season. Stay safe out there guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Damm....I leave Bend for two weeks and this happens. I don't know what's worse, not being there or being there.

mtbr member
    Wtf, it looks like it jumped tumalo creek from the webcam view?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Peddled in the Mckenzie River area today. On the slog up FSR 1933 the views of sister were partially shrouded by the smoke. Good clear riding over there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    In case any have not seen the update...

ALL trails north of Century (Cascade Lakes Hwy) are closed until further notice. This includes the Phil's network, Sector 16, S. Fork, Swampy area, etc.

Those trails out of Wanoga/ Conklin Rd. (Funner, Twinks, Storm King, Tyler's, etc.) are all still open.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

ALL trails north of Century (Cascade Lakes Hwy) are closed until further notice. This includes the Phil's network, Sector 16, S. Fork, Swampy area, etc.

Those trails out of Wanoga/ Conklin Rd. (Funner, Twinks, Storm King, Tyler's, etc.) are all still open.
    I've got a good view of the fire zone from my house and it looks dramatically better today than on Saturday night. Gotta be really smokey though on anything out of Winoga. Heading down to Oakridge tomorrow instead.

Afric Pepperbird

I have no doubt this is true, but where did you find this information? I cannot see it here:

Central OR Fire Info

I only ask because I'd like to ride the Swampy Lakes/South Fork area wednesday.

COTA member
    I drove up Cascade Lakes Highway today and noticed tape across Forest roads and single track trails on the North Side. Smoke seems much reduced today. The fire did not cross Skyliners so it seems a bit extreme to close the greater Phil's area. Hopefully the closure will be lifted soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That area is closed for good reason. A fire of this magnitude can move quickly and when fanned by winds will easily jump a road.

mtbr member
    Thanks to everyone for all the updates. Did any parts of Mrazek burn? I know Shevlin Park is closed but I'm wondering if or how much of the trail has been affected.

And please keep the updates coming, including how bad the smoke is. I was planning on going to Bend the next couple weekends...but it looks like I should stay away this weekend even if the fire is contained. Too bad I have non-refundable plans.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all the updates. Did any parts of Mrazek burn? I know Shevlin Park is closed but I'm wondering if or how much of the trail has been affected.

And please keep the updates coming, including how bad the smoke is. I was planning on going to Bend the next couple weekends...but it looks like I should stay away this weekend even if the fire is contained. Too bad I have non-refundable plans.
    From the Geomac site, it appears a small portion of lower Mrazek was caught in the burn. There is likely also damage to the trail from firefighting equipment .

The smoke was not bad yesterday and that is true this morning as well. I can't really detect any smoke outside as a matter of fact. We live on the west side of town about 4-5 miles from the southern most tip of the fire.

All the trails north of Century are closed, including Phils, so certainly don't come to Bend until they are open again. Smoke, however, shouldn't be a deterrent IMO.

Nat
    mtbr member
    It feels remarkably normal outside, probably deceptively so. Where did all the smoke go? Evacuation warning levels are still in effect.

The Bulletin's interactive map shows that the fire crossed Mrazek on only a small portion, perhaps only a quarter-mile at the most right after it crosses the Brooks Scanlon logging road as the singletrack comes out of Shevlin Park. If the map is accurate, then the damage to the Mrazek trail should be minimal.

Are the trails out of Wanoga open? I did not read of any closure on the south side of Century Drive.

mtbr member
    just trails n of century is closed, so wanoga is open.

sounds like they may revisit status tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good example of why they made the right decision closing the Phil's Trail Complex!

New blaze extinguished;

A helicopter flies over a new fire spotted this afternoon south of Skyliners Road and about 1 1/2 miles west of Phil's Trailhead near Bend. Two helicopters dropping water helped firefighters keep the blaze to about a quarter of an acre.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    From KTVZ:

BREAKING: Tuesday's fire S of Skyliners Road also deemed suspicious; reward fund up to $14,500 in 'potential arson'

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    From KTVZ:

BREAKING: Tuesday's fire S of Skyliners Road also deemed suspicious; reward fund up to $14,500 in 'potential arson'
    I sure hope it wasn't intentional - that's just crazy stupid.

COTA member
    Saw this on FB..

Two Bulls Area Closure near Phil’s Trail to Reduce
    Change will occur at midnight

BEND– As of midnight tonight the Deschutes National Forest Bend-Ft. Rock Ranger District will reduce the area closure that has been in place since Sunday in response to the Two Bulls Fire west of Bend.
    Beginning at 12:01 a.m. tonight (Thursday morning) closed Forest Service Roads that surround the closure area include:
    Forest Roads
    • Forest Road 4601 North of the junction with Forest Road 4603
    • Forest Road 4602 North of the junction with Forest Road 4601
    • Forest Road 4606 North of the junction with Forest Road 4601 and South of the junction with Forest Road 4608.

Forest Service System Trails
    • Mrazek Trail No. 32
    • Tumalo Creek Trail No. 49
    • Farewell Trail No. 26

This closure includes all roads and trails within the closure area.

For more information, contact the Bend-Fort Rock Ranger District at 541-383-4000.

Afric Pepperbird
    Saw this on FB..
    Good. I'm having Swampy/South Fork withdrawals! I had to bike the Wanoga area the last two days, and since I've hit it quite a bit recently, it is becoming a tad boring! Can only do so many T'winks/Kiwa/Dinah-Moe/Edison out and backs before it gets stale. And Funner and TT/Larsen's have already become stale for me. They're already getting dusty. I need a respite for a couple of months.

mtbr member
    Note you have to go out and back on southfork - starting at the top

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Note you have to go out and back on south fork - starting at the top

I'm hoping by my next day off (Tuesday), it'll all be good.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Note you have to go out and back on southfork - starting at the top
    Isn't Tumalo Creek trail open between South Fork and Skyliner TH?

Isn't Tumalo Creek trail #49 the hiker-only trail off of the Brooks-Scanlon logging road near the south end of Shevlin Park?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep, that's what I thought when I read it. Makes sense as they are all on the North side of the creek. Is N Fk anywhere near getting open? Would be odd to gave Farewell closed but N Fk open.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Isn't Tumalo Creek trail open between South Fork and Skyliner TH?

Isn't Tumalo Creek trail #49 the hiker-only trail off of the Brooks-Scanlon logging road near the south end of Shevlin Park?
    Yes. I will certainly ride between Skyliner trail and South Fork.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I hate the thought that these fires may have been intentionally set. Fires from carelessness are bad enough, but arson takes it to another level.

mtbr member
    Good news that they've got fire contained and some trails are open, but still a bummer that Mrazek is out of commission. I often camp at Tumalo SP and roll out of the tent at sunrise and ride to Mrazek before my wife wakes up. I'll have to come down to help out with some trail clean up this summer since I ride there so often.

Is there a lot of smoke around?

Also, does anyone have any good route suggestions this time of year to rack up 80-100 miles? Obviously there will be loops and OABs but I need to get some mileage and elevation to prep for TOE and HC100. I don't want to take the thread off topic so feel free to PM me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Good news that they've got fire contained and some trails are open, but still a bummer that Mrazek is out of commission. I often camp at Tumalo SP and roll out of the tent at sunrise and ride to Mrazek before my wife wakes up. I'll have to come down to help out with some trail clean up this summer since I ride there so often.

Also, does anyone have any good route suggestions this time of year to rack up 80-100 miles? Obviously there will be loops and OABs but I need to get some mileage and elevation to prep for TOE and HC100. I don't want to take the thread off topic so feel free to PM me.
    Lots of good long route options. I would recommend...

Up Ben's- Up Upper Whoops- Sucktor 16- Down Tumalo Ridge- Tumalo Creek- Up South Fork- Swede Ridge- SST- drop down to Wanoga snopark- Twinks- Kiwa- Down Tyler's- Conklin Rd- Up lower Storm King- Down COD- Marvin's- back to the TH.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Eco...where did you read about Mrazek being out of commission?

COTA member
    .where did you read about Mrazek being out of commission?
    here

Nat
    mtbr member

I can't detect any smoke whatsoever. Other than the trail closures things seem quite normal.

If you want an extended loop and don't mind driving a little extra, I would HIGHLY recommend doing the Round Mountain/Lookout Mountain loop in the Ochocos outside of Prineville.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Sucktor 16
    So I see you like that trail as much as I do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So I see you like that trail as much as I do.
    Ha! I appreciate that its there, but I think of it more of a way to access the high country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Have you all seen those photos of the fire taken at night? Shocking! We are lucky Mrazek didn't get really chewed up!

Smoke hasn't been a problem in town.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Looks like the Incident Management Team on the Two Bulls fire has a pretty good page up on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/TwoBullsFire

I've noticed this with other recent wildfires -- and I think it's a good way to get high-quality information from an official source.

The IMT on the Slide Fire near Flagstaff did the same thing a few weeks ago.

https://www.facebook.com/SlideFireInfo

Hope the trails are rideable soon. We've visited Bend a couple of times and enjoyed the trails and city.

-db-
    Flagstaff, AZ

Freeride Recumbent

Waldo Lake?

Anyone know if the trail around Waldo Lake is clear?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Haole View Post
    Anyone know if the trail around Waldo Lake is clear?
    Very highly doubtful! That's usually a late July ride.

COTA member
    Just read Tumalo Falls re-opened. I wonder what the state of North Fork is. Should be just about snow free at this point.

mtbr member
    Was snowing at bachelor this morning.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4

Freeride Recumbent
    Very highly doubtful! That's usually a late July ride.
    Because of snow? Or downed trees?
    Thanks.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Haole View Post
    Because of snow? Or downed trees?
    Thanks.
    Yes and yes

Nat
    mtbr member
    And mosquitos.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Anyone get some NF yet?

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    6/13/14 pm update: Just a reminder from the USFS and Two Bulls Fire: Tumalo Creek Canyon (hiking) trail, Mrazek & Farewell trails remain closed until further notice.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just read that the fire is 100% contained. Furthermore, it seems the usual sites will no longer provide updates. Is Farewell open now?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    Just read that the fire is 100% contained. Furthermore, it seems the usual sites will no longer provide updates. Is Farewell open now?
    Last I read is that the southern half of Shevlin Park will open Monday, so hopefully Farewell will, too (even though they're run by different agencies, and are miles apart)

COTA member
    I was able to ride from Swampy parking lot..

Flagline Tie->Flagline->South Fork->North Fork->NF 370->Farewell->Tumalo Creek->Tumalo Ridge->Swede Ridge->Swampy

This afternoon. A bit of snow at the top of North Fork. Some tree fall on Flagline Tie and North Fork. 3.5 hours of ride time.

mtbr member

Flagline Tie->Flagline->South Fork->North Fork->NF 370->Farewell->Tumalo Creek->Tumalo Ridge->Swede Ridge->Swampy

This afternoon. A bit of snow at the top of North Fork. Some tree fall on Flagline Tie and North Fork. 3.5 hours of ride time.
    A good ride right there! I am in Sunriver right now and hitting all the Wanoga trails from SR, which is nice not to have drive to TH, but that loop looks mighty tempting .
    Ride On!

Afric Pepperbird

Farewell is still closed, no? There was no tape across the trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Farewell is still closed, no? There was no tape across the trail?
    Wait ... I think I know how this ends. Dry Side says the tape wasn't there when he went through. Then some jackwagon creates an account specifically to say that he knows for certain that the tape was up when he drove thru the area at the same time that Dry Side was out riding and Dry Side must have moved it out of the way.

COTA member
    The only indicator of closure I saw was a sign at the bottom of NF4601 that said "Road Closed". I didn't see any tape on the trails and forest roads I was on. Last I read the "fire" was 100% contained and operations were winding down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This is the latest update I could find, dated June 13.

https://twitter.com/DesNatlForest

Reminder these trails are closed in the Skyliner area: Mrazek Trail No. 32, Tumalo Creek No. 49, Farewell Trail No. 26

COTA member
    Rode Mrazek this AM. A short section just above Shevlin park was burned and bull dozed. So until this section is rebuilt easiest to ride up the forest road just to the South of Mrazek until intersecting a single track off to the right which will take you over to Mrazek.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Up Ben's- Up Upper Whoops- Sucktor 16- Down Tumalo Ridge- Tumalo Creek- Up South Fork- Swede Ridge- SST- drop down to Wanoga snopark- Twinks- Kiwa- Down Tyler's- Conklin Rd- Up lower Storm King- Down COD- Marvin's- back to the TH.
    drunberg,

I was passing thru Bend on Sunday and used your route suggestion out of convenience/laziness. One question: what trail are you referencing as SST? And can you elaborate on how to "drop down to Wanoga" from SST?

Current maps don't show any direct connection that I could reconcile with your description. I hit the southern portion of the Swede Loop trail, then dropped via FR 4615 to Meissner Sno Park and rode a quick half mile on pavement up to Wanoga.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Have they officially reopened Mrazek?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have they officially reopened Mrazek?
    I don't think so, but there is no equipment in the Mrazek area that Dry Side indicated above. FS 4606, which leads to Mrazek, has a sign that indicates it is closed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Doesn't riding into an area that has been closed until further notice give the mtn bike community a bad rep?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Doesn't riding into an area that has been closed until further notice give the mtn bike community a bad rep?
    I don't know.

mtbr member

I can't detect any smoke whatsoever. Other than the trail closures things seem quite normal.

If you want an extended loop and don't mind driving a little extra, I would HIGHLY recommend doing the Round Mountain/Lookout Mountain loop in the Ochocos outside of Prineville.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The riding was great and not a bit of smoke. I really wanted to do the Ochocos ride with all the climbing but my wife needed the vehicle during the day so I opted for starting at Phil's and ending at The Lot. I essentially did the route drunberg suggested but added a few more miles around Vista Butte and then Edison Lava Trail via Dinah Moe Humm until the blowdown got annoying. Total mileage was just under 80 but I won't share how pathetic my pace was. I'll be back for 4th of July weekend to do 100+. I assume things will be open around Happy Valley by then?

Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    drunberg,

I was passing thru Bend on Sunday and used your route suggestion out of convenience/laziness. One question: what trail are you referencing as SST? And can you elaborate on how to "drop down to Wanoga" from SST?

Current maps don't show any direct connection that I could reconcile with your description. I hit the southern portion of the Swede Loop trail, then dropped via FR 4615 to Meissner Sno Park and rode a quick half mile on pavement up to Wanoga.
    I was confused by this as well and did exactly the same thing from Meissner to Wanoga...

Nat
    mtbr member
    That's because SST = Super Secret Trail, homies.

J/K, it's the one that parallels to the south of Swede Ridge from Swampy to Swede shelter.

He probably rode up SST to Swampy, then "dropped down" the highway to Wanoga.

Marked in yellow:

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-trail-map.jpg

mtbr member
    Got it. On my map it shows that it sort of parallels the Swede Ridge Loop XC skiing route. I think at the entrance from Sector 16 it has a small mile marker sign with a Tumalo Tavern sticker on the back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    drunberg,

SST stands for Swampy-Swede Tie (I think). It is the trail on the south side of Swede Ridge. So if you go out on Swede Ridge to the Shelter you can make it a loop coming back on SST.

As far as dropping down to Wanoga. There is no single track connector. I like dropping down to Meissner on FS roads, but you can also hit the FS roads on the south side of Century across from the Swampy Snopark turn off. Or there is always the 1 mile of pavement...

COTA member
    Shevlin Park (Where Mrazek Trail originates) is now completely open.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That's because SST = Super Secret Trail, homies.
    There was no shortage of speculation as to the name origin. Sector Sixteen Trail = SST. Swampy-Swede Tie = SST. Super Secret Trail = SST. But names aside, trying to find any explicit acknowledgement of which trail segment *is* SST is virtually impossible:
    - COTA doesn't list SST as a trail per se, but they mention it as connecting to others.
    - The Adventuremaps map doesn't mention SST as a name, though it does show the segment (but with the "Swede Ridge Loop" ski name)
    - OpenStreetMaps shows the segment, but names it "Swampy Loop"
    - ormtb maps also call this segment "Swampy Loop"
    - I asked nine people, in bike shops and on the trail, and not one of them was aware of any trail named "SST".

He probably rode up SST to Swampy, then "dropped down" the highway to Wanoga.
    Nope. Rode up South Fork to Swampy, then down SST (eastbound) to an obscure road/trail than connected to 4615 which dropped down to Meissner, then UP the highway to Wanoga.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Shevlin Park (Where Mrazek Trail originates) is now completely open.
    Have you seen anything that says Mrazek, Tumalo Creek, and Farewell are open?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    All closures should be posted on the Deschutes National Forest Alerts & Notices section now that the Central OR Fire Info page has been shutdown. The Central OR Fire Info page directs visitors to that Deschutes site for current closures. No closures are listed at this time for the trails you mentioned. Hope this helps, and enjoy and be safe.

COTA member
    Have you seen anything that says Mrazek, Tumalo Creek, and Farewell are open?
    No, but I have not seen any thing on them to indicate that they are closed. The moisture has made the trails great. Get out and ride. I plan to continue to do so.

Nat
    mtbr member
    There was no shortage of speculation as to the name origin. Sector Sixteen Trail = SST. Swampy-Swede Tie = SST. Super Secret Trail = SST. But names aside, trying to find any explicit acknowledgement of which trail segment *is* SST is virtually impossible:
    - COTA doesn't list SST as a trail per se, but they mention it as connecting to others.
    - The Adventuremaps map doesn't mention SST as a name, though it does show the segment (but with the "Swede Ridge Loop" ski name)
    - OpenStreetMaps shows the segment, but names it "Swampy Loop"
    - ormtb maps also call this segment "Swampy Loop"
    - I asked nine people, in bike shops and on the trail, and not one of them was aware of any trail named "SST".
    "Super Secret Trail" was a joke since everyone had a hard time finding it, but the trail I marked in yellow on the map is SST (and I believe it stands for Swampy-Swede-Tie).

Nope. Rode up South Fork to Swampy, then down SST (eastbound) to an obscure road/trail than connected to 4615 which dropped down to Meissner, then UP the highway to Wanoga.
    I was referring to drundberg when I wrote "he."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    "Super Secret Trail" was a joke since everyone had a hard time finding it, but the trail I marked in yellow on the map is SST (and I believe it stands for Swampy-Swede-Tie).
    I figured it was a joke -- my riding partner on Sunday kept making the same joke.

I don't think anyone has a hard time finding the trail, they just have a hard time knowing it is SST when they find it! The point of my comments was simply to point out that none of the common published sources use the SST naming, which undoubtedly contributes to the "can't find it" phenomenon.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Yeah, a lot of the local trails have two or three names even. It makes things confusing for those who don't already know the network.

Does anyone recall some of the old names like Frizzle-Frazzle (Upper/Lower Whoops), CIA (GS), and Laura's Lane (Voodoo)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    As of this morning there was still a sign at the entrance to Shevlin Park that says Mrazek is closed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Today.

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-mrazek1.jpg

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-mrazek2.jpg

Afric Pepperbird
    Contrary to what was mentioned earlier, there is still plenty snow left on Flagline Tie, especially the northern half, closer to Flagline proper. Lots of pushing bike through snow. But it should be gone in a week if the current weather forecast holds.

One new downed tree about midway through SST. It's not easily gotten around, so a little trail is forming to bypass it.

Still a few trees downed on lower Flagline, near the swampy area, about a mile and a half from Swampy shelter.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast