Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    I'm hesitant to write this post this because i don't want to start a fight, but you guys really seem to be struggling to get your message to people and i think i know part of the reason.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people (myself included as well as others i know, local and non-local) just don't get why it's such a problem. Most people will follow rules that they understand and believe in, but if they think a rule/law is bogus, they will likely not follow it. I think that's a big part of your problem here. People understand you want them to stay off the trail, but they're not convinced that it's actually important.

Trail widening I understand, that sucks. But the ruts? To my mind, that's such a non-issue. A lot of people post pictures in these threads of the trail damage, and i've got to tell you, myself and many others just roll our eyes at how silly it seems. Maybe you guys are all riding road bikes with 1/2" tires and I don't know it, but if not, why are these ruts a big deal? A big enough deal to keep us from riding? Riding is the whole point of ALL of this.

I try to attend a couple cota work parties per year, and last year on the spring fling i was discussing with my crew leader, the trail damage that we were fixing. To me, the trail was fine. I just couldn't really understand the problem. There were several ruts that originally were maybe an inch or two deep, and they were already worn down (from traffic) to less than that.

I don't generally worry about it that much, because i like to ride horse ridge in the winter, and i typically put the bike away for a few months and ski instead. Like i said though, i think maybe this is a major part of the battle you're in, that you just don't realize you're fighting. Maybe you do, you probably do, but I and other's remained unconvinced that we're ruining anything. I may very well be wrong, i just haven't seen evidence of it yet. Perhaps there should be a sacrificial trail that gets abused during winter and not repaired in spring as a demonstration of the damage that occurs, then we could see that and understand.

IMPORTANT: I want to be clear that i'm not trying to argue about whether we should ride or not, I'm just pointing out what i think is one of the major reasons that people disregard requests to stay off the muddy trails in the winter. Maybe you guys/cota need to think of ways to really raise awareness/consensus that there is a real problem, then people may be more willing to help prevent that problem from occurring. Does that make sense?

Does anyone agree that this could be a root of the problem or am i all alone here?
    Giving people more information about why it is bad to ride wet trails in Bend could help a little, but I am guessing the people riding the trails will still continue to do so. I mean when the local trail group who is responsible for all the amazing trails we have asks people to stay off the trails when wet, don't you think there is a good reason for this? I wouldn't imagine they would encourage people not to use the trails they worked hard to build without a good reasosn. I could maybe understand if Phils was the only place to ride in Central Oregon, but there are other trails in much better condition right not that are not going to get damaged from riding. Sure they are a bit of a further drive then phils but they are at least there for people to ride in the winter.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCogset View Post
    ...when the local trail group who is responsible for all the amazing trails we have asks people to stay off the trails when wet, don't you think there is a good reason for this?
    I agree with this, and that is one of the biggest reasons why i do mostly comply with the request. I have a lot of respect and gratitude for all the people who make up COTA leadership and volunteers.

PS - Derek, did you get my letter? :-) I got a postcard from you a couple months back, haha.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    PS - Derek, did you get my letter? :-) I got a postcard from you a couple months back, haha.
    Yeah, I got it. Thanks for including me on your list.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCogset View Post
    I mean when the local trail group who is responsible for all the amazing trails we have asks people to stay off the trails when wet, don't you think there is a good reason for this?
    Depends on the context. I don't live in Bend and ride there only a few times a year. But, from what I have seen, COTA does a great job with the trails and deserve deference/respect on this. But, not all local trail groups are that way. I'll leave it at that.

LT-5
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Lauren is a Guy just for the record. Lauren is the person on the strava above...
    And, it looks like he rode from home :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Lower Phil's Trail Complex Update - 1-26-14

The lower Phil's trails continue to get heavy traffic. I was hiking for less than an hour and saw quite a few riders.

Phil's, Kent's, and Ben's all have wet muddy sections that are connected by long stretches of very tempting dry trail. Most of these pictures were taken within 1/4 mile of the Phil's TH.

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-kents1.jpg

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-hike6.jpg

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-hike3.jpg

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-hike2.jpg

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-hike9.jpg

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-hike8.jpg

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-hike7.jpg

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-hike5.jpg

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-hike4.jpg

Many fresh tracks:

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-traffic.jpg

it means 'no problem'
    Meanwhile Maston today was stellar. Both trail heads were overflowing, which leads me to this request:

Please do not park within 10 feet of the sides or 20 feet of the rear of Horse trailers! This effectively blocks their access to their own rig. IF YOU MUST park on the Equestrian side at Newcomb TH, please give the horse trailers plenty of space. This request comes from the BLM Law Enforcement Officer. Thanks!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    Meanwhile Maston today was stellar.
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I have yet to hit Maston. Horse Ridge is just so much fun! Oh wait, never mind, Horse Ridge sucks, go ride at Maston.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yep Maston was the heat yesterday. And for as crowded as the parking lot was I only ran into about 10 other riders in groups. All friendly too btw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    At Maston, when it's really crowded, there's a tendency to ride off the track to pass. I assume the area is typical fragile/sensitive desert soil, cryptobiota, etc.

It's nice to keep up speed for a whole ride at Maston, but is this the next Phil's-type issue? Or are the areas on the sides of the trails pretty resilient/quick to recover at Maston?

It probably wouldn't be that hard to start an etiquette of slowing down and trying to stay on the trail when passing if it matters much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Heads up for the Maston area. BLM is planning on burns.

BLM plans pile burning near Eagle Crest | News - Home

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by CmbtDvr185 View Post
    Heads up for the Maston area. BLM is planning on burns.

BLM plans pile burning near Eagle Crest | News - Home
    I am going to pack along some hot dogs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    How is Horse Ridge the day after a rain storm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebikin View Post
    How is Horse Ridge the day after a rain storm?
    I would guess it's not too bad. They get less rain over there. It needed some rain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I would guess it's not too bad. They get less rain over there. It needed some rain.
    +1

There are some place near the TH and on the flats that will be soggy with some puddles but the rest should be pretty darn nice. Looks like a great day to hit it.

mtbr member
    Horse ridge is great. Yesterday afternoon was sunny and dry.

Maston and horse Butte both sloppy as of yesterday i hear.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Horse ridge is great. Yesterday afternoon was sunny and dry.

Maston and horse Butte both sloppy as of yesterday i hear.
    Hitting the road/gravel today... May check out Horse Butte for a bit. Typically, Arnold Ice Cave is drier. Will update here after.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Hitting the road/gravel today... May check out Horse Butte for a bit. Typically, Arnold Ice Cave is drier. Will update here after.
    Hit Arnold Ice Cave up from Horse Butte Trailhead to Rd. 18 (China Hat Road).... Muddy and soupy.... Kind of like Chocolate Mousse.. Needs to dry out.

What day are we riding?
    Yup - was hoping to get some trail miles in out at Horse Butte but it is still really wet. Good day for riding the gravel.

Anyone been out to Maston lately?

please, just ride
    Drove out to Maston yesterday. Looked real wet on Newcomb and in the lot. Which means the trails were probably the same. Rode up Cline instead. Wet there too. Gravel is the call for sure.
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.
    Support COTA and your Local Brewery

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow, nothing for 2 weeks.

Anybody know how Horse Ridge is riding?
    Bend, OR

Keep Singletrack Single

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread

With all the moisture and great skiing, folks are probably at Bachy or on their indoor trainers!!! Looking at the forecast, I suspect it will look like that until March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member

Went up and down Sand Canyon yesterday and there is 1 - 3 inches of snow and runnels of water coming down the trail. The upper sections of the trail that have water bars are holding up much better in terms of erosion and will likely be ready to ride earlier than the lower sections. If no more snow falls it might be ready to go in a couple weeks...It did however start snowing on us when we reached the top.

On a side note, it was our first time going up the canyon and very exciting to see all the amazing terrain in that area. The potential is unreal...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sand Canyon needs to become a DH only, or have an alternate climb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wonder if Maston will be decent this weekend? Supposed to be dry the next few days.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast