Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I really like Horse Ridge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    Any recommended highly over another? I've only ever been down to Bend for a quick trip on Funner/Tiddlywinks before and I assume these might be quite different.
    I'm with Streamrider, Horse Ridge is a great trail, fantastic views. If the conditions were decent there during the summer (gets too dusty/soft), it would be popular then, too, it is that good. But this time of year it is great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    I'm with Streamrider
    And that's a first , so you know Horse Ridge has got to be good!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Horse ridge is sweet. a true winter gem. I love central Oregon!!!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Of Sketchbook's list, Gray Butte is my favorite.

Gray_Butte

Ten year old photos have been archived, but if you click on them they're visible:
    Smith Rock/Grey Butte ride report (pics)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Is Grey Butte the place with the legendary mud after a thaw or rain?

Afric Pepperbird
    Maston is great, and would be the all time best winter riding, IMO, if and when it gets more trail mileage.

What are the BLM plans for expansion here, if any?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Is Grey Butte the place with the legendary mud after a thaw or rain?
    My last ride there a few weeks back (3 weeks) there was a lot of mud from thawed ground only on the SW side of grey butte down through that little creek canyon.

There was no snow there, but just the frozen ground had thawed.

Not sure how much snow that area got, so I am unsure of how any of those trails are at the moment. The problem areas tend to be the area mentioned above, and the back side of grey butte (which is really an old road).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Maston is great, and would be the all time best winter riding, IMO, if and when it gets more trail mileage.

What are the BLM plans for expansion here, if any?
    Last cota work party just over a week ago there were 2 guys from BLM there. I heard there are plans in the works. Mainly for Cline it sounded like. Sweet!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone ride Maston yesterday, Weds. Conditions ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsiderider View Post
    Anyone ride Maston yesterday, Weds. Conditions ?

Thanks
    Maston is good to go.

please, just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Maston is good to go.
    Depends on when you go.
    Rode it this morning. There are some really muddy areas there, mostly in the usual problem areas(canals).
    As with most spots this time of year, if you go early while it is frozen it is awesome. Unfortunately most people wait until it warms up before heading out.
    If you encounter mud, ride THROUGH it not around it. Trust me, your bike can take it and so can you.
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.
    Support COTA and your Local Brewery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seedy View Post
    Depends on when you go.
    Rode it this morning. There are some really muddy areas there, mostly in the usual problem areas(canals).
    As with most spots this time of year, if you go early while it is frozen it is awesome. Unfortunately most people wait until it warms up before heading out.
    If you encounter mud, ride THROUGH it not around it. Trust me, your bike can take it and so can you.
    Thanks!

Keep Singletrack Single
    +1. Well said Seedy.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That should be put on a big bright yellow sign that is posted on the trails!

it means 'no problem'
    Depends on when you go.
    I support this message.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    no way! I will melt if mud touches me! and my brand new sidi race shoes! nooooooooo!

ha.

Keep Singletrack Single

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    no way! I will melt if mud touches me! and my brand new sidi race shoes! nooooooooo!

ha.
    Good one. So true.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Mud doesn't look good on my killer ride and the hose is already put away for the winter. Plus I heard it can stain the paint.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Feels like we may be fighting a losing battle out at Phil's.

I have been told that there are local racers that ride Phil's regardless of COTA's request to stay off the trails during wet and muddy conditions. If these guys won't respect COTA's request to stay off the trails what hope is there to get the average Joe to stop? And to make matters worse they are posting their rides up on Strava, signaling everyone that Phil's is open for riding.
    Last edited by StreamRider; 01-24-2014 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Phil's Trails are really great, lets all think long term. I only ride it when its dry, not when its muddy
    Last edited by rushman3; 01-24-2014 at 09:37 AM.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm hesitant to write this post this because i don't want to start a fight, but you guys really seem to be struggling to get your message to people and i think i know part of the reason.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people (myself included as well as others i know, local and non-local) just don't get why it's such a problem. Most people will follow rules that they understand and believe in, but if they think a rule/law is bogus, they will likely not follow it. I think that's a big part of your problem here. People understand you want them to stay off the trail, but they're not convinced that it's actually important.

Trail widening I understand, that sucks. But the ruts? To my mind, that's such a non-issue. A lot of people post pictures in these threads of the trail damage, and i've got to tell you, myself and many others just roll our eyes at how silly it seems. Maybe you guys are all riding road bikes with 1/2" tires and I don't know it, but if not, why are these ruts a big deal? A big enough deal to keep us from riding? Riding is the whole point of ALL of this.

I try to attend a couple cota work parties per year, and last year on the spring fling i was discussing with my crew leader, the trail damage that we were fixing. To me, the trail was fine. I just couldn't really understand the problem. There were several ruts that originally were maybe an inch or two deep, and they were already worn down (from traffic) to less than that.

I don't generally worry about it that much, because i like to ride horse ridge in the winter, and i typically put the bike away for a few months and ski instead. Like i said though, i think maybe this is a major part of the battle you're in, that you just don't realize you're fighting. Maybe you do, you probably do, but I and other's remained unconvinced that we're ruining anything. I may very well be wrong, i just haven't seen evidence of it yet. Perhaps there should be a sacrificial trail that gets abused during winter and not repaired in spring as a demonstration of the damage that occurs, then we could see that and understand.

IMPORTANT: I want to be clear that i'm not trying to argue about whether we should ride or not, I'm just pointing out what i think is one of the major reasons that people disregard requests to stay off the muddy trails in the winter. Maybe you guys/cota need to think of ways to really raise awareness/consensus that there is a real problem, then people may be more willing to help prevent that problem from occurring. Does that make sense?

Does anyone agree that this could be a root of the problem or am i all alone here?
    Bend, OR

please, just ride
    The short answer is that all of those ruts harden, dry up and break down and turn into sand and the infamous moon dust making for a very unpleasant summer.
    The other issue that you see all the time is that people are just afraid to ride through the mud and ruts. It is a visual thing. They see a smoother easier route, they take it. Human nature.
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.
    Support COTA and your Local Brewery

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    There is an H-U-G-E difference in opinion out there on the Phil's trail conditions.

Here is a ride from Jan 6th by another local racer -

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | phil's - COD is perfect - everything else above chicken lots of ice patches near Bend | Times and Records | Strava

Someone asked this question in the comments section on that Strava ride:

Oh wow, trails lower than chicken wet/slushie? Mrazek rideable at all?
    and this was the response:

Below chicken dry. Everything else mix of melted/refrozen ice patches. Mrazek is ice.
    I don't understand that report because I have scouted the lower sections of Phil's, Ben's and Kent's on multiple associations and IMO it is definitely wet and muddy. These pictures are from a batch I posted after a hike on Jan 7th.

Name:  1512822_1443814695833773_2141351930_n.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  1560666_1443814699167106_1026460166_n.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  54.9 KB

Sure there are dry stretches with nearly perfect tacky dirt, but there are also many sections that are soupy just like that picture above.

If you are riding out there when it's wet and muddy you are contributing to trail damage. What you may not be considering is that many of us aren't riding Phil's even though we'd really like too. If we, as a community, stay off the the wet and muddy trails we help to preserve a wonderful local resource for our kids and grandkids.

Detailed soils explanation coming soon.
    Last edited by StreamRider; 01-24-2014 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Lauren is a Guy just for the record. Lauren is the person on the strava above...

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast