Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    29

    1st time at Oakridge

    1st time riding in Oakridge (not MBO, hopefully next year). Will be riding Alpine on Fri and North Fork on Sat. Where are the trailhead/parking locations? I will be demo ing Ripley. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Rider View Post
    1st time riding in Oakridge (not MBO, hopefully next year). Will be riding Alpine on Fri and North Fork on Sat. Where are the trailhead/parking locations? I will be demo ing Ripley. Thanks in advance.
    Parking for both trails is at the Office Bridge in West Fir. https://www.google.com/maps/preview?...rce=newuser-ws

    The trailhead that one starts on for North Fork is also here. The trailhead that one typically ends Alpine on is here. The starting alpine trailhead(s) are up the 1910 and 1912 gravel roads quite a few thousand feet.

    Best buy a map at somewhere like the Willamette Mercantile. It's $12 and will show you all the information you need.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    45

    Oror

    The map is worthwhile for sure!

    I'd also recommend an out and back on the lower Middle Fork Willamette Trail starting at Sand Prairie instead of North Fork. Similar style of riding, but more options for a longer ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker View Post
    Parking for both trails is at the Office Bridge in West Fir. https://www.google.com/maps/preview?...rce=newuser-ws

    The trailhead that one starts on for North Fork is also here. The trailhead that one typically ends Alpine on is here. The starting alpine trailhead(s) are up the 1910 and 1912 gravel roads quite a few thousand feet.

    Best buy a map at somewhere like the Willamette Mercantile. It's $12 and will show you all the information you need.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    29
    Thanks for the info

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    29
    I have a 100 oz camelback, are there any water resources on Alpine/Middle Fork?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    45

    Water

    Alpine is dry, but there is likely to be a water cache at the bottom of the "Jedi Section" of Alpine near Windy Pass for MBO. If you shuttle Alpine 100oz will be fine. If you ride up 1910 a refill can be nice. Its possible that the 100+ clients riding Alpine drain the water from that cache though. 100 oz plus a cage or two will get you through the full 33 mile loop.

    Middle Fork follows a river the whole way. I've treated and drank from it. Its a flat to rolling ride so 100oz should be solid. If you ride 15 miles out from Sand Prairie Campground to Sacandaga Campground there is potable water there. That is a nice river trail out and back ride. 4 to 6 hour ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Rider View Post
    I have a 100 oz camelback, are there any water resources on Alpine/Middle Fork?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    29
    thanks bb12!

  8. #8
    2012 Race: April 28th!
    Reputation: LemurianGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by bb12creek View Post
    Alpine is dry, but there is likely to be a water cache at the bottom of the "Jedi Section" of Alpine near Windy Pass for MBO. If you shuttle Alpine 100oz will be fine. If you ride up 1910 a refill can be nice. Its possible that the 100+ clients riding Alpine drain the water from that cache though. 100 oz plus a cage or two will get you through the full 33 mile loop.

    Middle Fork follows a river the whole way. I've treated and drank from it. Its a flat to rolling ride so 100oz should be solid. If you ride 15 miles out from Sand Prairie Campground to Sacandaga Campground there is potable water there. That is a nice river trail out and back ride. 4 to 6 hour ride.
    The Alpine water drop was dry for the Saturday afternoon MBO ride. Thanks for posting that info on the internet.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    45

    Chill Bro

    If there was going to be enough water for 350 MBO clients, there was going to be enough for the handful of random riders that might have seen that post. Its not like anyone monitors the water drop anyhow. Who knows, maybe Fat Joe from Saskatoon drank more than his fill when he went through because he was hung over from the beer garden. Maybe the afternoon shuttles should have brought more water up just in case. Maybe I was wrong for posting that info. Who knows. Either way, I was trying to be helpful and stand by my good intentions.



    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy View Post
    The Alpine water drop was dry for the Saturday afternoon MBO ride. Thanks for posting that info on the internet.

  10. #10
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,082
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy View Post
    The Alpine water drop was dry for the Saturday afternoon MBO ride. Thanks for posting that info on the internet.
    Notice that bb12 also warned that the cache could be dry. With all those people riding, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it was empty.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy View Post
    The Alpine water drop was dry for the Saturday afternoon MBO ride. Thanks for posting that info on the internet.
    so let me guess, you didn't have a back up plan, did you?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    992
    Why would more water be required if it was shuttled??? One bottle would suffice from that point.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    Re: 1st time at Oakridge

    Quote Originally Posted by bb12creek View Post
    If there was going to be enough water for 350 MBO clients, there was going to be enough for the handful of random riders that might have seen that post. Its not like anyone monitors the water drop anyhow. Who knows, maybe Fat Joe from Saskatoon drank more than his fill when he went through because he was hung over from the beer garden. Maybe the afternoon shuttles should have brought more water up just in case. Maybe I was wrong for posting that info. Who knows. Either way, I was trying to be helpful and stand by my good intentions.
    There was never enough water at one time for 350 riders. The cache served about 100 riders a day during MBO and was replenished by staff each day.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    Re: 1st time at Oakridge

    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Why would more water be required if it was shuttled??? One bottle would suffice from that point.
    Nobody said shuttling required more water, but some riders carry little because there is a water drop.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gorgedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Nobody said shuttling required more water, but some riders carry little because there is a water drop.
    And the shuttle doesn't drop us at the bottom of Jedi. Most riders have already sucked up a fair amount of water by the time they get there, even more if they did Chrome Toilet. On Saturday I was in the middle group on CT & we cracked the 2nd of only 2 water jugs with our 3rd group & an entire busload doing just Alpine still behind us so I'm not surprised the remaining jug was drained.

    Not pointing fingers, but a couple more jugs would have been nice. I realize it's more work to fill & haul more water jugs but I've come up short on water before & it's never fun.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tbmaddux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    316
    Saturday was pretty damn hot. Our ATCA group had already drained the first bottle and OA dropped a fresh one as ATW rolled up on us at Windy Pass while we repaired a mechanical. I can see why Chrome Toilet and Alpine would have exhausted the rest.

    I carried 2.5L in my 3L pack for ATCA and it lasted me to the top of the very very last climb (sometime after passing Buckhead) with no refills.

    The whole weekend was great. Awesome guides. Especially Good Chris and Alan for picking me up after a crash descending Tire, Paul for leading my way down Middle Fork and giving me someone fun to chase, and Shiggy for the conversation on the drive up to Timpanogas. I am already signed up for next year.

Similar Threads

  1. 1st time to Oakridge, Tomorrow...
    By thrasher_s in forum Oregon
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 10:34 AM
  2. oakridge virgin
    By juanmon in forum Oregon
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 07:11 AM
  3. Best way to get to Oakridge
    By bank5 in forum Oregon
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-17-2012, 07:29 PM
  4. 2 days in Oakridge
    By nh4cl in forum Oregon
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 03:33 PM
  5. Oakridge to Bend to Oakridge CCP Carpool
    By chmnyboy in forum Oregon
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •