meatier showers

16th Annual Spring Barbie Camp Apr. 2-4

Here we go again y'all...

...Spring Barbie Camp '10. Barbie just turned 51. Do you believe it? Let's celebrate with a campout in sunny Central Orygun.

Now in its 16th year, Barbie Camp AKA "BC" is a semiannual mountain bike mini-fest/campout that takes place in sunny Central Oregon each spring and fall. Campers enjoy group mountain bike rides (not races), warm themselves around a big bonfire each evening, socialize like crazy, consume "our favorite beverage," wear silly clothes, tell rude jokes, ride funky bikes and just plain have a great time. Barbie Camp's name comes from the 3 ft. Barbie doll that watches over the festivities -- she's our mascot. And she hardly looks 51 (the equivalent of three 17 year olds).

Join us and get in on the drawing to win 6ish months use of the beautiful Barbie Bike, a pink singlespeed originally donated by Vulture Cycles (raffle will be Saturday night; visit camp for details).

Weird bikes or HPVs are welcome. Just weld it together and bring it, brutha. Will there be another wimmin's fireside crit? Let's hope so. Or a late night ride the plank event, matey. Arrrr, don't doubt it, it's been done at BC before. Sidecar drink holders? You betcha.

Anyone 18+ years of age who embraces the notion of laughing at themselves and is tolerant of dirty jokes and that kind of stuff is welcome at Barbie Camp. If this sounds like you, then c'mon! Thanks for leaving the kids at home. Really. Nobody under 18 allowed at BC.

Here's the Spring BC dope:
    *SPRING 2010 BARBIE CAMP DATES*: April 2-4
    *THEME THIS SPRING*: Apollo Ono facial hair (Wimmins exempt)
    *POTLUCK*: Saturday evening. Bring something to share if you can. But don't stay home if you can't! Potluck is optional. If you don't bring something to share, just bring money to donate. Money always makes everything okay.
    *LOCATION*: 3 miles south of Sisters, Oregon (~35 mi. N. of Bend). Email me for specific directions to the campsite: daveysprockett at gmail dot com (Put "Barbie Camp" in the subject line lest I delete assuming spam.)
    *VENUE*: Disbursed campsite on the east bank of Whychus Creek near the Peterson Ridge Trails complex.
    *AMENITIES*: We'll supply a portapotty, firewood and a pop-up shelter or three. Bring everything else you'll need to camp in semi-wilderness, including water, chair, table, etc.
    *DONATIONS*: Gladly accepted. Your $5-10 donation makes it possible for us to provide the portapotty, shelters and firewood. Thank you.
    *P.S.* Sometimes it gets really cold at night. Be prepared.
    *P.P.S.* Disciples of Dirt branding irons will be on hand. Brand that thang.

Direct questions to me. Hope to see ya there,
    Sparty
    AKA Davey Sprockett, King of the Wild Front Tire

P.S. BC happens in the fall, too. Fall 2010 Barbie Camp dates: Oct. 29-31.

P.P.S. Links to previous BC events:
    Spring '06 BC
    Fall '06 BC
    Spring '07 BC -- Lou's Thread
    Spring '07 BC -- Friday
    Spring '07 BC -- Saturday
    Spring '07 BC -- Sunday
    Fall '07 BC
    Spring '08 BC
    Fall '08 BC (If you only click one link, make it this one)
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Guinness record for most mustache rides in a three day period.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Singletrack Addict
    Damnit! Gotta do some work stuff, so I won't be fireside until very late Saturday night, hopefully in time for the criterium. Wouldn't miss it. Hoping to get a good ride on Sunday and Monday.

Barbie Camp Rocks

highly visible
    In.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    In.
    Hallelujah you deaf, partisan, intellectually lazy madman.

See you there!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mangai.rollin
    In.

I'm likely headed down mid-afternoon on Fri and will have room for 1-2 riders & bikes if any Portland peeps need a lift.
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

highly visible
    Looks like Spring BC is getting its usual warm welcome. Snow on the ground in Sisters right now.

"People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Cracker-magnon
    In - will be coming from the Burns area in the work truck, leaving tomorrow, see you friday. Got my chain saw this time too.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Looks like Spring BC is getting its usual warm welcome. Snow on the ground in Sisters right now.

Snow is gone now!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    In. Rumors of Vulture too.
    Damn cold on this side boys. Bundle up!

mtbr member
    Rethinking the drive over. Might stay in the valley where it's just wet. Of course, things might change by tomorrow AM when we were going to make our move.

DOD Member
    This too shall pass..
    MaxSteel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxSteel
    This too shall pass..
    Spoken like the sage you are, Paul.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Weather over here is a little "varied". The pass and Mt B are getting snow at the 1-2 inches per hour rate with heavy wind gusts.

In Bend we got 2-4 inches of wet heavy snow that is rapidly melting into slushy slop.

Just wanted to give y'all a heads up. The storm is expected to slow down, but continue through Sunday. If you are coming over, be prepared for wet snow conditions (extra gloves and footwear).

I'm out this year, hurt my back snowboarding a couple of days ago (high speed powder tree run with a hidden ice patch).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Rethinking the drive over. Might stay in the valley where it's just wet. Of course, things might change by tomorrow AM when we were going to make our move.

Cool! the road cam links auto refresh.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Cracker-magnon
    Man everyone that didnt come missed out. 13 people, at camp, 10 of us did a 12 mile jaunt in the snow on Sat. The conditions were perfect for riding in the snow, about 1.5 inches on the ground and everything was grippy. Pictures will follow soon.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Man everyone that didnt come missed out. 13 people, at camp, 10 of us did a 12 mile jaunt in the snow on Sat. The conditions were perfect for riding in the snow, about 1.5 inches on the ground and everything was grippy. Pictures will follow soon.
    It's all true! By golly we had fun and one of the best potlucks EVER. A super duper Mexican cuisine theme for the most part. Tyler has the Barbie bike until November.

Personally I wound up with 35 miles for the weekend and every inch of singletrack was awesome ridin'.

Thanks to everybody who came over for the festivus. The weather was weird, but fortunately it had a bigger effect on traveling than it did on Barbieing. Those who showed got their grins.

--Davey
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

DOD Member
    The mini bike for crit racing was especially challenging. Maybe I had too much beer, but it seemed you had to pedal backwards, to go forwards?!
    MaxSteel

mangai.rollin
    pictures!
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

highly visible
    Coming from Portland, I went through the Gorge on Friday and came down US 197/97 -- only saw a few flurries and a little roadside snow from earlier in the day. Only added about 50 miles vs going over Santiam, and considering I didn't have to chain up it probably didn't take any longer either.

Waking up to a couple inches of Freshie on Saturday morning was great, riding in it was even better, Saturday's riding weather was beautiful (in a relative sense), the new COTA-built trails are awesome, it was a great group of people, and Davie's not kidding about the potluck. Definitely one of the best Barbie Camps I've been to.

Cracker-magnon
    Photos:

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005
    Much as I love Mtn biking, I would have headed over to Mt Bach with Paul. It sounded like he had one of those "sticks in your mind for the rest of your life" powder days. Skiing and mtn biking have a lot in common, but there is no mtn bike equivalent of skiing 2 feet of fresh power.

Cheers, Bob
    -Bob
    Eugene, OR - Tucson, AZ

Tree Hugger
    Looks like I missed a good time. I won't make that mistake again. Thank for the pics Gpsser.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz