Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

1 day in Portland

Before you bash me for not searching...it seems the search function is not working!

Hubby and I will be in Portland July 29...we will be without bikes but will have a rental car, hoping to throw together a quick ride. I have seen pics of the McKenzie trail and wondered if it was worth the 3 hour drive each way to try to do???

If anyone has any links, LBS recommendations (bike rental), or trail "must dos" please post!!! I am capable of googling and searching but would like a place to start since PDX is LOADED with great cycling!!!

We both are what you could call experienced-advanced intermediate riders...we live in the mountains of N Carolina and ride Pisgah Nat'l Forest on a regular basis. Cross-country. And can easily do a 6-8 hour ride on any given day...

Thank you very much in advance!

mtbr member
    The McKenzie trail is definately worth the drive if you've the time. The top ~1/3 is my favorite part! The scenery is awesome and the trail will keep you grinning.

PDX, itself, sucks for mt. biking. Good for bike commuting and road biking but there's nothing worth mentioning for mt. biking inside of an hour's drive.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Since we have the car...and can make the time...Anyone have suggestion on where to get a couple bikes???

Anyone rent Turners? I would love to try a Nitrous!!!

(I need a men's small size with a low low low standover)

mtbr member
    Ever think about trying some light freeriding? Rent a burly bike and head over to Post Canyon or Black Rock. My thinking is you can ride trails anywhere in the country but you'll be very hard pressed to find anything like Post or BR and they have beginner stuff too so you'll have fun, I can promise you that! A lot closer than Mack too. Discover Bikes in Hood River has demos and Post is real close to their shop. Or go up to the Surveyors Ridge trail for awesome views of Mt. Hood if you want to do a trail ride that's epic and a lot closer.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member

mangai.rollin
    x2 on Surveyors and renting from Discover.

Demo an Ibis Mojo and go ride Surveyors, Dog River, Knebal Springs.

Or keep an eye out on here for the Glade Trail conditions.

Have a blast!
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

AW_
    locked - time out
    McKenzie is fun at the top, but overall, in my opinion, the trail is overrated. It's long, and it's a river trail, but... I dunno. I wish the last 2/3rds were as good as the top 1/3. Combined with the long drive from PDX...

Hood River Road 44 area get's my vote if you want a long day of riding some XC trails.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by mcewan13
    Or keep an eye out on here for the Glade Trail conditions.
    Glade Trail from Timberline? Generally loose, sandy, some doubletrack, with some chunky rocks. Personally I wouldn't enjoy it on a short travel bike.

Obviously Single

Fat Tire Farm and WRT

I second the recommendation for renting from Fat Tire Farm -- they have some nice high-end bikes, and I understand they rent decent bikes, as well.

For riding, consider heading west, towards the coast about an hour from Portland to the Wilson River Trail, Historic Hiking Trail, and/or the Gales Creek/Story Burn loop. These rides are in our only Rain Forest and generally stay a little cooler than down in the Valley. WRT is about 20 miles. I haven't ever ridden the whole thing at once, since it requires a long-a$$ out-and-back or a shuttle. Riding 2/3 of the trail as an out-and-back generally takes me about 4 to 4.5 hours. (There's mucho up-and-down on this river trail.) And HHT (The Historic Hiking Trail, aka Brown's Camp) is darn fun even if it is only a 2-hour ride.

Ping me if you want help finding these trails.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncybouncy
    Before you bash me for not searching...it seems the search function is not working!

Hubby and I will be in Portland July 29...we will be without bikes but will have a rental car, hoping to throw together a quick ride. I have seen pics of the McKenzie trail and wondered if it was worth the 3 hour drive each way to try to do???

If anyone has any links, LBS recommendations (bike rental), or trail "must dos" please post!!! I am capable of googling and searching but would like a place to start since PDX is LOADED with great cycling!!!

We both are what you could call experienced-advanced intermediate riders...we live in the mountains of N Carolina and ride Pisgah Nat'l Forest on a regular basis. Cross-country. And can easily do a 6-8 hour ride on any given day...

Thank you very much in advance!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

ride the moment
    I would go to Oakridge and ride the Alpine trail if I only had one day to ride in Oregon. Many of the other trails in the Oakridge area are awesome as well. You can rent bikes in Oakridge at the Willamette Mercantile. Don't know the details on the rentals but they're nice folks so give em a call. They've also got all the local trail info.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    I'd rent em at Fat Tire Farm and head north to Mt St Helens to ride the Ape Canyon Plains of Abraham trail, mid week though.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

trying to ride
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    Ever think about trying some light freeriding? Rent a burly bike and head over to Post Canyon or Black Rock. My thinking is you can ride trails anywhere in the country but you'll be very hard pressed to find anything like Post or BR and they have beginner stuff too so you'll have fun, I can promise you that! A lot closer than Mack too. Discover Bikes in Hood River has demos and Post is real close to their shop. Or go up to the Surveyors Ridge trail for awesome views of Mt. Hood if you want to do a trail ride that's epic and a lot closer.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Any more specific info on this area? I'll be out in portland area for a week starting july 13th. I'll have a Kona Coiler with me. Would love some light freeriding. Will be riding solo for the most part so go a lil easy on me !

Thanks,
    Adam

mangai.rollin
    AW,
    Didn't I ride w/ you out at Browns Camp / Storey Burn a couple Wednesday evenings ago - w/ Hack and Aaron from Pedal Nation?
    I was on the green Klein HT w/ semi slick racing tires trying my best to keep up w/ you on the downs.

.matthew
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I'd rent em at Fat Tire Farm and head north to Mt St Helens to ride the Ape Canyon Plains of Abraham trail, mid week though.
    Great suggestion, seriously this is the BEST ride in NW Oregon. Might not be very technical or long (18 miles is too short for me, you may want to investigate looping it via smith creek) but it has the most amazing scenery you will witness on a bike. Where else in the US can you ride on the flanks of an erupted volcano thats still semi-active?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam90xj
    Any more specific info on this area? I'll be out in portland area for a week starting july 13th. I'll have a Kona Coiler with me. Would love some light freeriding. Will be riding solo for the most part so go a lil easy on me !

Thanks,
    Adam
    Post Canyon: http://www.ormtb.com/Hood_River/HR_T...ostCanyon.html

Black Rock: http://brmba.org/index.php?option=co...id=4&Itemid=11

The most fun you'll ever have on two wheels!!!

PM me if you want a riding partner - I'll be around on the 18th and 19th.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Designated Bleeder

Same question

Funny, I have almost the same exact question, except I will be riding out in Oregon on July 22nd.

After reading the posts, it seems like Hood River might suit me the best. I ride freeride and aggressive XC trails back here in the Boston, MA area but I am not really looking for anything too nasty because I will be riding by myself (most likely).

I emailed Discovery and Mountain View in Hood River to rent a bike and should be able to get in a 3 or 4 hour ride. I was thinking of a nice 20-25 mile technical XC loop. From the looks of things, it looks like Surveyor's Ridge and/or Dog River are the places to go if I have only one day to ride. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sounds like your a good candidate for this ride: oak ridge > surveyors > dog river. Its near 30 miles I think, quite a bit of climbing to get up to surveyors but well worth it, then you get the dog river descent, which is rockin. My advice is to start early too, since you'll be starting off on HWY 35. Best way to do this is, park at the dog river trail head, ride HWY 35 back towards Hood River and take a right (sorry the road name escapes me) after about 4-5 miles on the road towards the oakridge trail. Climb that b*tch up to surveyors, just a fair warning it is steep, relentless, and very rocky in the lower spots, oh and no flats/downhills until you hit the top. Head right on to surveyors, ride that until you hit the parking area off RD 44 then drop down dog river back to your car. Finish with several pints at double mountain in hood river.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by amtbr
    Sounds like your a good candidate for this ride: oak ridge > surveyors > dog river. Its near 30 miles I think, quite a bit of climbing to get up to surveyors but well worth it, then you get the dog river descent, which is rockin. My advice is to start early too, since you'll be starting off on HWY 35. Best way to do this is, park at the dog river trail head, ride HWY 35 back towards Hood River and take a right (sorry the road name escapes me) after about 4-5 miles on the road towards the oakridge trail. Climb that b*tch up to surveyors, just a fair warning it is steep, relentless, and very rocky in the lower spots, oh and no flats/downhills until you hit the top. Head right on to surveyors, ride that until you hit the parking area off RD 44 then drop down dog river back to your car. Finish with several pints at double mountain in hood river.
    I've always done that in the opposite direction. Descending on pavement just never appeals to my senses. Plus I don't think the Dog River descent is all that great. Don't get me wrong it's still fun but not exceptional. I guess I would rather ride Surveyors the opposite direction so it is slightly downhill rather than slightly uphill.

My ideal ride out there is to get a ride to the top of High Prarie -> 450 -> maybe out-n-back on 15 mile for a bit before it really drops -> 450 -> 8 mile loop -> knebal descent -> surveyors -> dog river descent -> car at the bottom of dog river. You get a lot of descending and the shuttle return does take some time but at least it is a reasonably efficient path.

Lots of options really. It's probably not too hard to hook up with some other riders also when you are out here which might make it easier to find your way around.

Designated Bleeder

Distances in Oregon

So I just found out that Surveyors and Dog River are about 30 to 40 minutes outside of Hood River. Ouch, that makes my drive from Portland and hour and a hour each way.

Is there anything worth riding within an hour of downtown Portland? Hey, if not, I'll make the drive but it makes for a long day...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Great suggestion, seriously this is the BEST ride in NW Oregon. Might not be very technical or long (18 miles is too short for me, you may want to investigate looping it via smith creek) but it has the most amazing scenery you will witness on a bike. Where else in the US can you ride on the flanks of an erupted volcano thats still semi-active?
    Technically it's SW Washington, the Columbia River forms the border.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    1 hour ? Your looking at around 1 1/2 hours from Portland just to dog river, maybe 1:45 to RD 44. As for an hour, I made it to Falls Creek in about 1 hour 5 minutes from Portland before, thats hauling ass though. Falls Creek is one of the best trails in the area IMO. Tillamook state forest has some stuff, I hate that place, so I'll let someone give an un-biased opinion.

AW_ thats a good ride you recommended. I always like riding up oakridge rather than down, I dunno the bottom section of oak ridge just doesnt do it for me, especially when its dry and loose.

AW_
    locked - time out
    1 hour ? Your looking at around 1 1/2 hours from Portland just to dog river, maybe 1:45 to RD 44. As for an hour, I made it to Falls Creek in about 1 hour 5 minutes from Portland before, thats hauling ass though. Falls Creek is one of the best trails in the area IMO. Tillamook state forest has some stuff, I hate that place, so I'll let someone give an un-biased opinion.

AW_ thats a good ride you recommended. I always like riding up oakridge rather than down, I dunno the bottom section of oak ridge just doesnt do it for me, especially when its dry and loose.
    How come you hate TSF? Are there any trails in particular or have you just ridden in close proximity to the motos & gunshots? Have you ridden everything out there or just U-falls and got discouraged? Just curious. I think a couple of trails out there are really great. Clay soil and pine needles are a nice combination. In my opinion, Storey Burn has some really ripping corners on it. The back side of Gales Ck is a nice descent (haven't been there in over a year though). Plus that other tra... ehh... it will be public knowledge soon enough and most everyone around who would want to ride it already knows about it.

Other stuff close in to PDX: 3 corner rock in washougal WA. Totally underrated trail in my opinion and it is within an hours drive. I don't know what the conditions are like this year though.

mtbr member
    My favorite route for Dog River/Surveyors is to park at the ranger station just south of the little town of Mt Hood (there's a store there) then ride south on Hwy 35 about 5 miles to the Dog River trailhead & go right up that sucker. It's a tough climb & you will definitely walk a bit near the top but it gets you to the Surveyors trail head on Road 44 faster than riding pavement & you get to ride single track (which is always better). Then ride Surveyors past the powerlines at the "end" of Surveyors & go straight up Bald Butte. It's a couple miles of lung busting climbing but the payoff is a killer downhill back to the pavement on Pinemont Road which takes you back to Hwy 35 (turn left when you hit Pinemont, the first paved road you'll cross). Turn left onto 35 & it's just a couple miles of mostly downhill & level riding back to the rangers station. You can also stop at the Mt Hood store on the way for a beverage or two. All told, about 35 miles & a full day of fun.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    So I just found out that Surveyors and Dog River are about 30 to 40 minutes outside of Hood River. Ouch, that makes my drive from Portland and hour and a hour each way.

Is there anything worth riding within an hour of downtown Portland? Hey, if not, I'll make the drive but it makes for a long day...

Thanks.
    If you want decent riding within an hour of downtown Portland, you're pretty much looking at Tillamook Forest or Scappoose.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

AW_
    locked - time out
    Don't go to Scappoose if this is your one and only ride in the NW. You might as well skip the local beer and stick to Budweiser too if you're gonna do that.

Quality XC with a one hour drive from the city:

3 Corner rock
    Larch Mtn (above corbett)
    Post Canyon
    Gales Creek / Storey Burn
    Univ Falls

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast