mtbr member
    May 2012

**HELP!!** Planning MTB trip in Oregon

Hi everyone, looking for some advice on what specific trails to hit while I am in Oregon.

Background info: Myself and a few buddies are taking a 1.5 month trip around the western half of the US and trying to hit the best MTB trails. We are all CAT 1/2 XC riders and will have a 100mm HT and a 130-160mm AM bike as well.

We will be in Oregon roughly June 8th-14th. Making our way North on I-5.

I am looking for some advice on what trail systems to do and in what order as we travel north. I know Oregon has a lot to offer so hopefully I can get some great advice on where to spend our time there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There is tons of riding. Not sure how long you are planning on staying in Oregon but I would hit Ashland/Oakridge on the way up. Then head east and bike Bend. Finish off with some biking in the Gorge. Bring rain gear because we are talking about June in Oregon which can be hit or miss. I am not a great source for specific trails for you because I lean more towards DH.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ashland, oakridge, makenzie river, bend, sandy ridge, surveyors ridge, dog river, kneble, post canyon, head over to syncline, falls creek, siusixion,

NWTA Wiki

mtbr member
    North Umpqua Trail and Black Rock Mountain Bike Area are worth adding to your list.

I agree with the suggestions above. Particularly about getting on the eastern side of the Cascades, even though it takes you away from I-5. Very different from the Willamette Valley.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Everybody posting above knows Oregon better than me for sure but I can attest to the riding around Oakridge as some of the best that I've ever ridden. The dirt/soil up there is THE BEST I've ever experienced. We also rode the McKenzie River Trail and I thought the 1st half was awesome but after that, it was all the same so I didn't find it as impressive as most people do on the whole.

mtbr member
    Oh, also, in Washington but the Plains of Abraham loop near St. Helens is an IMBA epic. It's on my bucket list. Excellent ride report about it here: Wheels & Water: Mt. Saint Helens, WA - Ape Canyon / Plains of Abraham (7.20.13)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dguggemos View Post
    Hi everyone, looking for some advice on what specific trails to hit while I am in Oregon.

Background info: Myself and a few buddies are taking a 1.5 month trip around the western half of the US and trying to hit the best MTB trails. We are all CAT 1/2 XC riders and will have a 100mm HT and a 130-160mm AM bike as well.

We will be in Oregon roughly June 8th-14th. Making our way North on I-5.

I am looking for some advice on what trail systems to do and in what order as we travel north. I know Oregon has a lot to offer so hopefully I can get some great advice on where to spend our time there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

A bit more on what your interests are is important. If you plan on staying a couple of days and appreciate good beer and a real town with lots of things to do out of the saddle, Bend, Ashland, and Hood River are must-visits. Bend should be on the list for anyone, for the city and as the riding offers something different than all of the other options (Oakridge, Umpqua, etc.), as east-side is very different than west-side, both with their pros/cons.

As for a perfect trip, I would plan on spending at least one day/night in Ashland, one or two in Oakridge, at least two nights / two riding days in Bend, and one day/night in Hood River. Expand according to your time availability.

As for specific trails, you are a bit early for the higher trails in Bend, but should be good for the lower Phil's network (Phil's, Kent's, Ben's, Whoops, etc.), as well as Wanoga & the Deschutes River Trail. May be able to get into Mrazek, but might have to be out-n-back, depending on blow-down.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    This does seem to be a popular question. A sticky may be a good idea for this topic.
    Here is another thread of same subject
    Tour suggestions
    post #21 lists what ended up being our final itinerary
    I've just finished putting together our Oregon trip for this August...

I love this sh!t!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    This does seem to be a popular question. A sticky may be a good idea for this topic.
    Here is another thread of same subject
    Tour suggestions
    post #21 lists what ended up being our final itinerary
    I've just finished putting together our Oregon trip for this August...

I love this sh!t!
    Thanks for the help! This helps a ton. I will have to sit down and look closely at the route. Cant wait for the trip to start in 11 days!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dguggemos View Post
    Thanks for the help! This helps a ton. I will have to sit down and look closely at the route. Cant wait for the trip to start in 11 days!
    You can't hit everything, but my suggestion if you are coming north on I5 would be to hit Oakridge (few days at least), McKenzie River Trail (1 day), Bend (as long as you can), Hood River (1-2 days), then take 84 back out to pick up I-5 in Portland. Hope you like beer.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    You can't hit everything, but my suggestion if you are coming north on I5 would be to hit Oakridge (few days at least), McKenzie River Trail (1 day), Bend (as long as you can), Hood River (1-2 days), then take 84 back out to pick up I-5 in Portland. Hope you like beer.
    What he said.

And you are very welcome dguggemos , I hope you have a blast!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This blog has extremely detailed information on many great rides in Oregon. Also tons of great photography and GPS trip maps (or whatever they're called).
    Wheels & Water

Starting from the south: Ashland. Heading north, Roseburg (the NUT; North Umpqua Trail) is east out of the city. About 15 miles south of Eugene is the city of Cottage Grove. To the east about 35 minutes, there are 3 awesome trails (Crawfish, Brice Creek, and Adams Mt. Trail) At the very least, you must hit Crawfish. It's nearly a 4,000 ft climb in just over six miles. The descent is epic.

Well I'll stop for now. If you want more info, I can provide the details you'll need (except for the northern part of the state) I live in Eugene.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    That is an excellent resource.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Cool, you're welcome!