mtbr member
    May 2004

*BEST* Camp/ride around Crater Lake

Yeah, I know, another one of those threads...

On my second trip through Or-e-gone this summer we're heading up the back way and are interested in stopping to camp/ride around Crater Lake if possible. Heading to camp at the usual spot off KGB in Phil's the next day or so. We'll have the RV so self contained is fine. Some place I can take the tweener kids for a good ride would be nice. Nothing too brutal but scenic would be awesome. Should be around the 28th of June. (Two weeks after the first trip following the annual late spring pilgrimage...)

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member

Diamond Lake

Crater Lake Natl Park is closed to MTBs , but you can ride the road though I wouldn't ride it with kids. Diamond Lake just north (15 minutes) of Crater Lake is a great family biking area. It's got lots of single-track (varying levels) easily accessible from the campground, and a paved bike path around the entire lake. You have scenic views of both Mt. Theilsen and Mt.Bailey from Diamond Lake. The Diamond Lake campground is far superior to Crater Lakes campgrounds, you can camp right on the lake though the mosquitoes can be bad through June.

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Yeah, I know, another one of those threads...

On my second trip through Or-e-gone this summer we're heading up the back way and are interested in stopping to camp/ride around Crater Lake if possible. Heading to camp at the usual spot off KGB in Phil's the next day or so. We'll have the RV so self contained is fine. Some place I can take the tweener kids for a good ride would be nice. Nothing too brutal but scenic would be awesome. Should be around the 28th of June. (Two weeks after the first trip following the annual late spring pilgrimage...)

Thanks in advance!
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks. A little lunch time surfing showed that there are several places to camp around the lake. I may ask when the time gets closer about Waldo and Newberry as well. Though I should know a bunch more about both after the early June visit to Bend. we're cutting back across from Jedidiah Smith SP and after the crater visit, we'll work our way back up through Bend and maybe stop at Skull Hollow for a quick Gray Loop as well DOC.

Thanks again!

DOD Member
    I'll second what Jolly said about skeeters. Waldo is spectacular camping and there is fabulous riding all around it....but I won't go there till mid August. Newberry is a different climate, so maybe someone else can comment on the bugs of June up there.
    MaxSteel

Members who have read this thread: 0