mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Word of warning of the quality and warranty of On-One Carbon Race 29-frames

I would like to share my recent experience with On-One Carbon Race 29 frame quality and warranty. I broke two frames in 2.5 half years under normal use on easy trails and roads. I am over 50 and my weight is about 170 lbs so the usage of the frames has not been too harsh.

The first frame broke down in less than one year like this.

I got the replacement frame after returning the broken frame.

That replacement frame broke down like this in about 1.5 half year like this.

After I made a warranty claim to On-One they just informed me that according to their warranty policy they will not cover anything because the purchase date of the first frame was over two years ago. As a sign of a goodwill they offered me a "generous" 10% discount from the list price of Lurcher or Dirty Harry frame! Needless to say that I felt very disappointed to their feedback.

I assumed that a quite expensive carbon frames under On-One name should last more than a year and a half. No wonder why they quit this frame from their product portfolio.

Next time if I'd like to get possible quality problems with a carbon frame I'll purchase a cheap frame directly from China.

No On-One frames nor other products for me anymore!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd be disappointed too. It's outside of the warranty period but both failures are clearly manufacturing defects. I'd expect them to do more for you.
    I've been thinking about buying one of those cheap SAB carbon fibre frames they have but not so much now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Saw the response from Brant in the 29er thread. That's more like it and what I would have expected.
    Glad to hear that OnOne is looking after you - I like OnOne and have spent way too much money there, hated to think they were like that.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Saw the response from Brant in the 29er thread. That's more like it and what I would have expected.
    Glad to hear that OnOne is looking after you - I like OnOne and have spent way too much money there, hated to think they were like that.
    I will not elaborate further at this time on my time dealing with the On-One Warranty. But like anything else in life these days. Dealing with frame issues can be time sensitive and just tossing the broken frame to the side to deal with later can screw you over when it comes to any help from the frame company. And even if it is within the 2 year time limit it still requires work on your part to make things happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    On One carbon frames are pretty cheap. They are only a little more than the Chinese carbon frames on ebay. What you get for that money is a useable warranty and some decals. But it seems to me that there can't be much profit in these cheap carbon frames, so they aren't going to bend over backwards for you, or extend your warranty. As long as they are following their actual warranty policy, you can't really complain. Read their warranty policy before you buy, if you don't agree with it, don't buy from them. If you want a lifetime warranty with no questions asked, drop a few thousand for a Trek or Cannondale frame. Their frames are so expensive precisely because the warranty cost is factored in.

Now with all that said, it certainly is pretty pathetic the way that frame fell apart. If I were On One I would be so embarrassed that I put my name on such a POS, that I would do something to make it right for my customers.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1