Special Purpose
    Oct 2009

Who has gone from steel 456 to Ti 456?

Considering making the upgrade from my steel 456 Evo to the new Ti frame.

Wondering if anyone has done the same and can share their experience with it?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    No one? I'm thinking about making the change myself.
    The force that through the green fuse drives the flower drives my green age
    That blasts the root of trees is my destroyer

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Can't say I've rode any of the older 456 frames, or the new steel Evo, but I do have the new Ti Evo, and I've come to that from a 2008 scandium-framed Scandal.

The build quality on the T456E is very high. Lovely dime-stack welds and a brushed Ti finish. I'm riding the 16" sized frame so it has that typical On-One/Brant jump-frame aesthetic: Massive stand over and yards of post showing...looks great! Really hardcore.

Out on the trail it's a climbing machine. The front is light on extreme gradients (more so than a standard XC frame)' but the T456E's climbing ability outstrips anything I've rode before, including (bizarrely), the Scandal. Power transfer through the frame on climbs is stunningly good.

Heading downwards is similarly impressive. The frame goes exactly where you want it to go, aided by a mixture of stiffness and compliance. It's hard to describe exactly, but the degree of control the frame allows is extremely confidence inspiring. You'll soon be punching above your weight on the trail.

On technical singletrack or road, the frame behaves like a high-level hardtail should, with efficient power transfer and razer sharp handling. I'd recommend a short stem. I'm running a 60mm, but I suspect a 50mm could be even better.

Brant's design goal for the Evo frame was to make the bike better for up, down and along, and I've found that it does all of those things brilliantly. Ive had frames that performed one element well but faded on the others, but the T456E strikes a perfect balance of all three. Perhaps they should have called it the 456-360! ;-)