mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Whippet vs 456 Carbon

Can someone tell me the major difference in these two frames: 456 vs Whippet? What riding conditions does each frame excel at? For all-mountain bike, which would you choose? Sorry for the noob questions but this manufacturers frames interest me...I just don't want to make a bad choice here.

Thanks.

David

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-man View Post
    Can someone tell me the major difference in these two frames: 456 vs Whippet? What riding conditions does each frame excel at? For all-mountain bike, which would you choose? Sorry for the noob questions but this manufacturers frames interest me...I just don't want to make a bad choice here.

Thanks.

David
    The Whippet is an XC race type frame. Quicker handling, straight head tube, 80 or 100mm travel fork.

The 456 Carbon is a long travel hardtail. Beefier frame, slacker angles, tapered head tube, 100mm to 160mm travel fork.

Pick the 456 if you jump off of things rather than roll over them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The Whippet is an XC race type frame. Quicker handling, straight head tube, 80 or 100mm travel fork.

The 456 Carbon is a long travel hardtail. Beefier frame, slacker angles, tapered head tube, 100mm to 160mm travel fork.

Pick the 456 if you jump off of things rather than roll over them.
    Thanks Shiggy! That makes it a little easier to choose....I am getting old (older) and jumping-off-things just plain hurts.

David

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Tri-man if jumping off stuff hurts I would get a full susser! I have the 456 carbon and it is as stiff as granite! Light and fast yes but brutal on old bones....well old bones!

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Worm0898 View Post
    Tri-man if jumping off stuff hurts I would get a full susser! I have the 456 carbon and it is as stiff as granite! Light and fast yes but brutal on old bones....well old bones!
    Tubeless tire + low pressure = problem mitigated!

2.4" tires front and rear at 22psi...