Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: whippet 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

whippet 650b

Anyone confirm that a 650b 2.3 neomoto will fit the back end of a whippet? I like running the big and meaty here on the east coast

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan0930 View Post
    Anyone confirm that a 650b 2.3 neomoto will fit the back end of a whippet? I like running the big and meaty here on the east coast
    Yes, it fits.
    whippet 650b-whip650b1.jpg
    whippet 650b-whip650b2.jpg
    whippet 650b-whip650b3.jpg
    Think the dish on my wheel is off a bit.

No issues with FD clearance
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sweet!

Are these cool with using a 100mm fork? How about going up to even say a 120mm Talas?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So, what's the down low on running 650b on a whippet? As you may know, I have both a rigid and suspension fork for mine. This will raise the axles and BB 0.75" which isn't too drastic. I really like the geometry and handling of my whippet. I'm guessing that won't change with slightly larger wheels? I have no clue but does the 456 have a lower BB due to being aimed at a more aggressive riding style? Lower CG and all that.

mtbr member
    I suspect that your bb height may only change by .5"

Quote Originally Posted by bennymack View Post
    So, what's the down low on running 650b on a whippet? As you may know, I have both a rigid and suspension fork for mine. This will raise the axles and BB 0.75" which isn't too drastic. I really like the geometry and handling of my whippet. I'm guessing that won't change with slightly larger wheels? I have no clue but does the 456 have a lower BB due to being aimed at a more aggressive riding style? Lower CG and all that.
    Given tires with the same cross section the BB ht changes by 12mm (~0.5"). 650B rims (584mm) are exactly 25mm larger diameter than 26" rims (559mm)

The 456 BB is about the same with a 100mm fork and higher with a longer fork because it is used in more roughed terrain where increased pedal and chainring clearance is needed.
    mtbtires.com

Uncle

Bump: BB height with 26" wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymack View Post
    Hey bennymack, care to exchange rep points for a static BB measurement, from floor to center - including the fork this measurement comes with? Inquiring minds (& future owners ) would like to know.

650b option might be in my future, but I'll certainly build it up with the little wheels firs.

Thanks much.
    -E
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Given tires with the same cross section the BB ht changes by 12mm (~0.5"). 650B rims (584mm) are exactly 25mm larger diameter than 26" rims (559mm)

The 456 BB is about the same with a 100mm fork and higher with a longer fork because it is used in more roughed terrain where increased pedal and chainring clearance is needed.
    What is the BB drop of Whippet frame?

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristinka View Post
    What is the BB drop of Whippet frame?
    I didn't measure BB drop, but I built the bike up with a 100mm fox fork & 2.2" 26" tires. Static BB height with this set up was 12.5". With a 650B Nevegal 2.35, same fork, and 26" Mutano 2.4 in the back, the BB height sat right at 13". Worth noting that the 650B Nev2.35 is a much taller tire than the undersized 26" 2.25 Nobby Nic that it replaced.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Hey sorry to wake this thread up, but I'm about to buy the last set of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs in 650b for my whippet...I see there 2.2" wide, and read that schwalbes are rather wide...Will 650b Racing Ralphs fit the rear end of the whippet?

Thanks!
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    The 2,25" Raplhs are only 55mm wide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A little off track, but since the whippet will take a smaller 650B, would a 700C wheel with 35 'cross tires fit? Width-wise I have no doubt, but what about diameter?

Quote Originally Posted by dhbomber View Post
    Hey sorry to wake this thread up, but I'm about to buy the last set of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs in 650b for my whippet...I see there 2.2" wide, and read that schwalbes are rather wide...Will 650b Racing Ralphs fit the rear end of the whippet?

Thanks!
    Fits fine
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    A little off track, but since the whippet will take a smaller 650B, would a 700C wheel with 35 'cross tires fit? Width-wise I have no doubt, but what about diameter?
    650B x 2.35 fits easily.
    700x35--Not a problem
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Shiggy. Any chance of on one producing replacement drop outs to correct the bb height for 650b on the whippet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk View Post
    Shiggy. Any chance of on one producing replacement drop outs to correct the bb height for 650b on the whippet?
    No.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    No.
    brant

Thank you for the reply. As economical with words as a Yorkshire man with money !
    Obvious question is why?
    Do you not think the whippet should be 650b? Is it because you never intended it to be 650b when you designed it? Are the stresses or geometry wrong for 650b ? Is it because you are designing a specific 650b and don't want to dilute the sales or do you just not agree with 650b?

Kenton, over t' hill in Keighley.

brant

Thank you for the reply. As economical with words as a Yorkshire man with money !
    Obvious question is why?
    Do you not think the whippet should be 650b? Is it because you never intended it to be 650b when you designed it? Are the stresses or geometry wrong for 650b ? Is it because you are designing a specific 650b and don't want to dilute the sales or do you just not agree with 650b?

1. There is no way to make new Swapouts that would lower the BB. The axle/QR skewer would hit the frame.

2. Even if the Swapouts could be modified, you would also need to change the front end height to maintain the frame angles.

3. +1/2" of BB height is still "correct". Some of us prefer high BBs. I hate dragging pedals.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi shiggy . Intense have used modified dropouts to create their 650b carbide and tracer models but of course their BB' s are higher in the first place. I wonder how they get round the higher front end issue?
    Dropping the bb down will give the bike that " riding in" feeling and stability that 29ers have from the bb being lower than the axles.
    Of course nothing can beat designing the bike from the ground up to suit the wheel size .

Hi shiggy . Intense have used modified dropouts to create their 650b carbide and tracer models but of course their BB' s are higher in the first place. I wonder how they get round the higher front end issue?
    Dropping the bb down will give the bike that " riding in" feeling and stability that 29ers have from the bb being lower than the axles.
    Of course nothing can beat designing the bike from the ground up to suit the wheel size .
    Intense uses totally different frame/dropout designs, and some riders seem not to care about frame angle changes.

BB ht is highly debated by riders. My personal custom bikes (rigid, 26 and 29) have 13" high BBs. When it gets below ~12.2" I feel like the bike gets hung up on things (in addition to banging pedals). The claimed effect on cornering is a non-issue for me.

I agree a bike is best designed for the wheel size to be used (though I have improved the handling of a low BB 26er with "B" wheels), which is why I brought up the front end height issue.
    mtbtires.com

Dissolved member
    brant

Obvious question is why?

Shiggy gave us a good explanation and this completes the big picture: https://twitter.com/shedfire/status/205627825833771008

I am happy that the 456C works with 650b wheels so well regardless of what its company says on twitter. Hopefully there will be more good alternatives on the market soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    1. There is no way to make new Swapouts that would lower the BB. The axle/QR skewer would hit the frame.

2. Even if the Swapouts could be modified, you would also need to change the front end height to maintain the frame angles.

3. +1/2" of BB height is still "correct". Some of us prefer high BBs. I hate dragging pedals.
    On-One has any plan to release X-12 compatible rear dropouts for Whippet in the future?
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by semmiho View Post
    On-One has any plan to release X-12 compatible rear dropouts for Whippet in the future?
    Not at this time. 142/12 has limited benefits in a rigid frame and raises the cost a (un)fair amount.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    so with a frame like the Whippet - can I run old Shimano Hollowtech XT cranks? the Pre outboard bearing XT cranks?

or

Do I need an outboard bearing style crankset?

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    so with a frame like the Whippet - can I run old Shimano Hollowtech XT cranks? the Pre outboard bearing XT cranks?

or

Do I need an outboard bearing style crankset?
    I have not seen a BB92 to threaded adaptor. Likely because the shell is too wide.

Need to use an external bearing type crankset.

(Though I may have found a way to use my Profile Racing cranks )
    mtbtires.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast