Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: whippet 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have not seen a BB92 to threaded adaptor. Likely because the shell is too wide.

Need to use an external bearing type crankset.

(Though I may have found a way to use my Profile Racing cranks )
    Thanks shiggy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've been riding my Whippet since April as a 26er with a 2.4 Racing Ralph in the front and a 2.4 Furious Fred in the back. I just put on some 650b Racing Ralphs front and rear. The first thing I noticed while riding around the parking lot was that it felt higher due to the higher bottom bracket. I was a little concerned about this at first, but once out on the trail, as opposed to pavement, the higher BB actually worked quite well and handled great. I also noted that there is less sidewall flex in my tires going from 2.4s to 2.25s. This greatly improved cornering. Overall the Whippet makes a great conversion. The larger wheels let the bike handle a lot more, it was a little jittery even with the high volume 26" tires.

And now for the pics:

2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How does the whippet handle as a 650b? If I wanted to build one up as a rigid singlespeed would a 425 a/c fork make the bike to twitchy? What would the head angle, bb height and seat angle be set up like this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom View Post
    How does the whippet handle as a 650b? If I wanted to build one up as a rigid singlespeed would a 425 a/c fork make the bike to twitchy? What would the head angle, bb height and seat angle be set up like this?
    It rides great as 650b. The change in trail from the larger wheels does slow down the steering a little bit. But I think 425 would still make the bike too twitchy. But I guess it depends on your preferences for steering feel. I am not a math genius, so I am not going to able to figure out what those geometry numbers would be.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Brand new to the MTBR forums. My On One Whippet arrived in the mail today and I'm looking forward to building it up as a 650b. Stans rims with X9 hubs should be here in a few days.

Question though, I just put my 26'er back wheel on and it looks like there is plenty of clearance round the seatstay but the chainstay looks a little tight. I'm currently running a Specialized Captain (Sport) 2.2 so it is a beefy tire. Just getting a little freaked that the 650b with either Neo Moto 2.3 or something from Schwalbe will fit. Reassure me guys!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

whippet 650b

Quote Originally Posted by korymu View Post
    Brand new to the MTBR forums. My On One Whippet arrived in the mail today and I'm looking forward to building it up as a 650b. Stans rims with X9 hubs should be here in a few days.

Question though, I just put my 26'er back wheel on and it looks like there is plenty of clearance round the seatstay but the chainstay looks a little tight. I'm currently running a Specialized Captain (Sport) 2.2 so it is a beefy tire. Just getting a little freaked that the 650b with either Neo Moto 2.3 or something from Schwalbe will fit. Reassure me guys!
    The Neo 2.3 fit just fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm thinking of buying a pair of 650b's for my whippet. Anyone (after a season use) have pros and cons compared 26 <-> 650B on the whippet?

Edit1: which FOX forks is recommended using 650B (also 26"),, seems like most FOX forks are tapered and will not fit the Whippet..

mtbr member

whippet 650b

Very interested in this frame as an upcoming race bike build. How is the handling with 650b and 100mm fork. Any feedback on the frame Vs a Dirty Harry would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Hangtime; 11-29-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2