mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Whats the latest on Inbred/swap out/bb7?

So I just found out (the hard way) that 160 rotors and my 16" 26er Inbred don't mix. All my googling turned up was old threads about 180s fitting, some guy mad new hardware etc.

Before I throw more money at the problem is there an easy work around? Ironically I was originally going to run disc front/ v brake rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just finished building up 3 Inbreds, 2 29ers and 1 26er, all with 160mm BB7s. On the horizontal drop out bikes, I had to change the cable retaining bolt to a hex head bolt that I ground the head thinner on. One of the 29ers was a swapout and on that one, I was able to leave the Allen head bolt but had to tighten the cable retaining bolt before fully mounting the caliper - couldn't get the wrench on it afterwards.

These were all 19 and 20 inch bikes though - a 16 might be tighter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    the 16 is really tight, With the cable tightened and the caliper all the way forward in the slots the cable bolt hits the frame.

Short-Change-Hero
    Have bb7s on my 19.5 and no issues what-so-ever. Think the only issues were on the 16" really from what I have read. If nothing else get an extra 5mm allen and cut the end short, that will help give you some room to reach the adjustment bolts on the smaller ones.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by scrub74 View Post
    So I just found out (the hard way) that 160 rotors and my 16" 26er Inbred don't mix. All my googling turned up was old threads about 180s fitting, some guy mad new hardware etc.

Before I throw more money at the problem is there an easy work around? Ironically I was originally going to run disc front/ v brake rear.
    With the Swapout frame you can switch to a dropout with the disc mount outside the stays (for geared use). I am using one because my heel can turn the BB7 pad adjuster while standing on descents (26" wheel Inbred).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Its SS for now so that dropout won't work. I switched the retaining bolt for one with a slimmer head so we'll see how that works once I get wheels. It looks like I'll still have about 2/3 of the cable pull with the wheel forward in the drop out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Proof that a bb7 with a 160 mm rotor works on a 19.5" inbred with the horizontal dropouts:
    Whats the latest on Inbred/swap out/bb7?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1343607785.347892.jpg

19.5and above, horizontal drop outs only. The calipers and wheel needs to be pushed all the way forward in the dropouts and your chain length needs to be fairly tight. There is no adjustment. my chain is so tight I have to remove the drive side dropout in order to remove the wheel...it's not much of a pain but it's what works.

You also need to run the cable thru before you mount the calipers, but it's a bb7, all of the cable adjustment is on the calipers...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone know if the new inbred's have posts for V-brakes?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yes. They are removable, not braised on so you have that option

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDAKA View Post
    Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone know if the new inbred's have posts for V-brakes?
    they don't sorry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The current swap out has V-brake posts, two water bottle cages and under the bottom bracket derailleur routing.
    It is the only one with them.