default title

New question here. U.S. Customer, Order from U.S. or U.K.?

I'm planning to order a LTD SS 29er Inbred to replace my Apple Sauce Green Swapout frame. Total with shipping comes out to about $25 less if I order directly from the UK site (and they've got those sweet caps for <$4!), and if I order from the US site apparently the frame would be shipped to the US store from the UK, and then shipped to me.

SO, it seems ordering directly from the UK could be a little quicker, being direct, and will run ~$25 cheaper. However I can't seem to determine rather or not any import/customs fees would apply or if there are any other applicable stipulations.

Pros, cons, thoughts, opinions, experiences?
    ___
    _

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat. I emailed them yesterday, and got a response this morning saying that they have no control over import/custom fees, so they couldn't give me an estimate on what that might be.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For 25 bucks I would just order from the US site to not have to worry what the duties and taxes will be.

mtbr member
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but i am wondering about this stuff. I am looking at several On-One products that are not available on the US Titus/Planet X site. Everything on the UK site seems a lot cheaper anyway. It seems too cheap to be true, so how do I know what I will have to pay in taxes?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: U.S. Customer, Order from U.S. or U.K.?

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but i am wondering about this stuff. I am looking at several On-One products that are not available on the US Titus/Planet X site. Everything on the UK site seems a lot cheaper anyway. It seems too cheap to be true, so how do I know what I will have to pay in taxes?
    No way to know for sure if you will be hit with taxes or not. IME most of the time you will not be. A buddy ordered a frame and a few other bits from the UK a month ago. even with shipping charged (oversize box) it was cheaper than the US price (if they had had any in stock) and arrived in a week to the west coast.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've ordered from both. Both shipped great. And free. No problems. No tax on the UK site - the VAT is only for subjects of Her Britannic Majesty, not us Yanks. I've heard there's an additional fee for complete bikes, like a duty tax or something, from the UK site, but I'm not sure. If you check with On One, I'm sure they would let you know for sure.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

The Original Suspect
    I ordered a Scandal from the UK site and shipped super quick and no additional fees.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ordered my 45650b from Planet X in Oregon and the service and shipping times were great!

Tree Hugger
    Me too. The guys in Portland are really nice and helpful. Call them and see if they can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by cjcoffroad View Post
    I ordered my 45650b from Planet X in Oregon and the service and shipping times were great!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    I ordered a new stem, handlebar, and one tire from the Planet X store in the US. free shipping was surprisingly fast and it was slightly cheaper than ordering from the UK. the UK store seems to have some items in stock that the US store does not have though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Does anybody know what company the UK site uses for shipping once it's in the US? My order originally shipped from DPD in the UK, then I got an email requesting payment from a company called Aramex for the customs. The order was only $170 and they're asking for $66 in fees.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just got the same email last week from Aramex on my order from On-One UK. I emailed Aramex back explaining that since the invoice amount (less shipping) was less than $200 it should not be subject to import duties or fees. They contacted me the next day and informed me that On-One included the shipping fees in the declared value which put the total over $200, but that it was On-Ones mistake and they would release my shipment without charging any fees.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by igorstravinski View Post
    I just got the same email last week from Aramex on my order from On-One UK. I emailed Aramex back explaining that since the invoice amount (less shipping) was less than $200 it should not be subject to import duties or fees. They contacted me the next day and informed me that On-One included the shipping fees in the declared value which put the total over $200, but that it was On-Ones mistake and they would release my shipment without charging any fees.
    Thanks, emailed them today, hopefully I'll get the same response.

Did I catch a niner?
    I got a fee of $55 for my Scandal that is currently in customs.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Looks like the shipping company put the dollar amount in GPB on the shipping label causing it to get stuck with the customs fees. Had another order from them with the same error on the shipping label and it made it through without any trouble. Aramex is contacting the shipping company, but still hasn't shipped it yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This was the last email I received from Aramex:

We are going to release your package at no cost to you and are going to have to settle this with the shipper, as once reported to Customs, changing the value is extremely hard and if anything we will bill the charge back to them for their error as we have already Cleared it and paid it to US Customs.

We understand you are an innocent consumer and just want your parcel and we will get it to you once recovered from Customs bonded facility will be sent overnight via UPS.

That was on July 10th and I still have not received my shipment. When I track the shipment, the last update was July 9th when it was released from customs. I sent them another email yesterday morning have not gotten a reply yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    "11 Jul 2014 10:31 United States Your parcel has arrived at the local delivery depot"

Mine shows its at the delivery depot. They emailed the shipping company today, so hopefully they'll get a response soon.

mtbr member
    i ordered from planet x usa. brandon was awesome to deal with and straight forward about the time frame. no customs fees, will order from them again when im ready for another build
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2013 On One 456 II 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My shipment status has been showing at the "local delivery depot" (in New York, I am in CA) since the 9th. No response from Aramex customer service by email, called them yesterday, had to leave a voice mail. No response from that either.

I would have ordered from Planet X US, but they didn't have the size I wanted in stock and I have not had any issues ordering from other sites in the UK until now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by igorstravinski View Post
    My shipment status has been showing at the "local delivery depot" (in New York, I am in CA) since the 9th. No response from Aramex customer service by email, called them yesterday, had to leave a voice mail. No response from that either.

I would have ordered from Planet X US, but they didn't have the size I wanted in stock and I have not had any issues ordering from other sites in the UK until now.
    I ended up just paying the fees, all aramex and dpd shipping would be able to do is contact Planet X and try to get payment. I should get the package Tuesday and then try to get refunded through them. I figure it's easier for me to get reimbursed in place of the shipping company and if it doesnt work it still was a lot cheaper than other options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    3 weeks total.

Ordered on the 9th. Will be here end of next week. Ordered from US site. Frame coming from UK.

I hate waiting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ordered from UK on July 2nd.

After about 8-10 emails and a couple of phone calls, my frame was finally delivered today.

It ended up being more of a pain than I expected it to be, but now I am just happy to have it and can start assembling.