Gold Member

Thinking about an On One Monster Cross bike; but which frame should be used?

So, I'm thinking about building a monster cross bike and the reason stems from my Lurcher which in the last 5 months is proving on many levels to be fairly capable from home > trail > gravel > work & back.

My only issue is that I do get a little more creaking on the Lurcher during hard uphill stints and I typically find the rear sliders needing to be re-tightened. (not an issue, I know that I can apply some loctite)

That said, I'm thinking either make a monster cross bike from a Race or the Dirty Disco.
    Has anyone done one from either?

While I've searched, I haven't found anyone talking about how wide of a tire can be fitted to the DD.

Any pointers would be nice.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    X Shop Hand -
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC Nomad V1
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Inbred

Thinking about an On One Monster Cross bike; but which frame should be used?-dsc_7674.jpg
    Thinking about an On One Monster Cross bike; but which frame should be used?-dsc_7681.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If you are going drop bar, watch the TT length and head tube height to ensure it will fit the way you want. I did a drop bar Ogre and just went to Jones bars after a frustrating geometry lesson learning that drops were not a great match for me + the frame geo. I found I want a shorter TT and higher head tube for drops. It's personal choice though.

Just Ride!
    Consider either an On-One Pompino or a Planet-X Kaffenback. I think they both qualify as real steel drop bar monster bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Those two only take 35mm tires max.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsqueak View Post
    Those two only take 35mm tires max.
    I just figured that those bikes would be ideal for your description of "fairly capable from home > trail > gravel > work & back." As for me, I have spent a lot of money over the years to get frames that run wider tires, only to find they were much slower, therefore not as satisfying when it came to pedal effort verses forward momentum. It seems I have come full circle with age and am now back on a Reynolds steel frame I had purchased in '02 and running a 700x35 as my all rounder. Just trying to help!

Gold Member
    I appreciate the feedback and extending my search.
    I did think Inbred as an option, then realized, Dumb @r$e me completely forgot that I have an El Mariachi frame/fork hanging in the shed, it'll make a good stand-in bike during my build and just may make a descent monster cross bike.

I'm not sure that I need 45mm tires, but after yesterday's monsterscross ride, at least a 40mm would be nice. My 35's just would not have cut it on the Jeep Trail that was 8 mls of rock (big and loose), dirt and lots of sand...
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    X Shop Hand -
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC Nomad V1
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I run 40s now, schwalbe Mondials...they get pretty squirelly on loose surfaces. If you go narrow get tires witb some teeth if you ride anything at all deep and loose...sand or gravel. Otherwise for hardpack or lousy pavement they are great