mtbr member

Is this thing about to break?

I have a 2 month old straight tube 29er carbon fork and it's starting to creak. Should I be concerned? I am a fairly aggressive rider, but its only seen XC in its short life. Thanks!

mtbr member
    This is my first experience with any carbon fiber

SuperInstigator
    Are you sure its not your headset creaking? Sounds resonate weirdly through carbon fiber. I've investigated headset noises that sounded as if they were originating near the cranks. I would drop the fork, clean all the headset parts and put a light coat of grease on all contact points. Then adjust the headset. Then see where that puts you. If it is actually the fork that is creaking I would stop riding it.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    I am fairly obsessive about maintaining a tight headset so I am a little doubtful that's where it is. I will double check everything up front though. Thanks man!

SuperInstigator
    Well even so, I've had experience with headsets which creak even when perfectly adjusted. Just take it apart and take the bearings out (if they're not pressed into the cups). Clean out all the grit, lightly grease everything and put it back together.

Oh, also check your crown race to make sure it's fully seated and that it doesn't have any movement.

Good luck!
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Okay, I think checking the race would be a good idea, thanks! I'm mostly doubtful of the headset because when I installed the fork 2 mos ago, I thoroughly cleaned and greased the cups and cartridge bearings. I had bought this fork because it seemed to be one of the more durable options.

mtbr member
    I was told by a guy I ride with that where the carbon legs are glued to the aluminum crown and dropouts, there are microscopic spaces where dust can get into. When this happens there is a very small rubbing that is occuring within these spaces between the aluminum and the carbon which creates this creak I am hearing. Therefore, he said I should apply some silicon spray to seal it off. Any input from anybody at On-One?? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Still constant creaking, SHIGGY, do you know anything about this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Did you grease the headset cups when you installed them in the frame?

mtbr member
    Headset cups were installed by a shop 3 years ago. I was riding this bike for a long time with a steel fork and no noises from the front end. I have recently discovered a problem nipple on my front wheel that keeps loosening itself. I am thinking about building a new wheel but does anyone think that might be the root of the creaking? Still, however, I think the spoke was getting loose with the steel fork. Would the fact that I now run a carbon fork just amplify sounds I maybe just never heard before? Thanks