mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Terrible customer service from US distributor

I want to preface this by first saying that based on my brief time so far riding the Lurcher frame and rigid carbon fork, it is an excellent bike and it would be a good deal at even double its price. I am not usually one to complain about things, but I feel like my experience was absolutely ridiculous.

On March 18th I bought a Lurcher frame from Titus (On-One’s distributor here in the US). I got it about a week later. The frame was excellent except that the BB shell was loose which caused VERY bad creaking and even a noticeable shifting of the crank spindle. After about two weeks of trying to remedy the BB issue, I decided to give Titus a call. I was told that it was not an issue that they had heard of before, but that I needed to send it back to them so that they could look at it and replace or repair it. I shipped it back on April 10th and they received it on the 17th. On the 19th I still had not heard anything from them so I gave Titus a call. I was told that their mechanic was at Sea Otter but that she would give me a call on Tuesday the 23rd. I never received a call and nobody answered the phone at Titus on the 23rd. I called several more times that week but was told each time that the mechanic was doing a bike fitting and would call me very soon. Again, I never received a call. I was not able to actually get in contact with the mechanic until early in the next week (Apr. 29 or 30). She told me that she was busy preparing for Wildflower and would not be able to get to my frame for at least a week. When I explained to her how long I had been waiting on the frame she told me that should would try to look at it before she left for Wildflower. I called Titus on Thursday, May 2nd, the mechanic had left for Wildflower, but I was told that she did look at my BB and it was out of spec so they were going to send me a new frame. They had to wait for her to get back so that she would check to make sure the frame they were going to send me did not have the same issue. I was told that, assuming the replacement frame was OK they would ship it to me Tuesday, May 7th and that they would expedite the shipping so that I would get it before this coming weekend. Thursday the 9th (yesterday) rolled around and I still had heard nothing, so I called them. The mechanic answered and it was apparent that nothing had been done. She put me on hold while she called On-One in the UK because they evidently had to get approval to send me a replacement frame. Last night I FINALLY got a Fed-Ex tracking number for the frame, lo and behold they shipped it Fed-Ex ground, so its not going to be here until the end of next week, but at least I should be able to ride next weekend.

TL-DR version:

Total warranty process from initial phone call to getting a replacement frame will be almost 6 weeks. The ridiculous warranty messes people talk about with sketchy Chinese companies seldom seem to take this long.

Looking at my phone history it took 19 phone calls to get this issue resolved.

I NEVER received a callback from them even though I was repeatedly told they would call me.

I realize this is a busy time of year for them, but all that was required was less than 5 minutes of actual work to determine if my BB shell was the right size

Every time they told me they would do something, they would not do it until I called them again to see if it had been done.

It seems like the issue is mostly with Titus, not On-One itself, but if you are buying an On-One in the US, that is who you have to deal with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    they could have done a better job that's for sure.
    Last edited by threebikes; 05-10-2013 at 08:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is not the type of customer service that we strive to give at all and I will ensure that this does not happen again.
    We have been short staffed and with attending a couple of events it has meant that a few delays have happened but this is completely unacceptable and everything will be done to ensure that this does not happen to anybody again.
    Another staff member has been hired and we are just waiting for him to come on-board to assist with allowing us to give better service to all of our customers.
    Thank you,
    Michael

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Terrible customer service from US distributor

My kids and I ride 6 On One bikes. I built them all up and bought nearly all the frames and components from the US On One/Titus outlet over the past few years.

Yes, they got a couple things wrong (forgot to send out a small part with a frame, for instance). But each time they acknowledged the error and corrected it in a reasonable amount of time.

They have also gone the extra mile to get me certain parts that weren't normally stocked or to provide a service at no cost (installing headsets, for example).

I am guessing that they run thin margins on staffing, inventory, etc. to offer the products they sell at such good prices. (I have certainly got worse service and products at LBS's at much higher prices).

It sounds like they are particularly short-staffed right now. Hopefully they will get more horsepower and be back up to form.

In the end, I appreciate their bikes, which are well designed and sold at great prices.

Terrible customer service from US distributor-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368339867.915843.jpg

The Original Suspect
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had three instances to deal with ON ONE. I ordered a Scandal from their UK web site and was amazed at how quickly I received it in Colorado. The two other times I ordered small parts from their US site and again amazed at how quickly my order was processed. In one instance I placed an order on Friday and received it on the following Monday and I did NOT pay for expedited shipping.

There are ups and downs in dealing with any company, but the personal service and emails from Michael and the quality of the products have me sold. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had three instances to deal with ON ONE. I ordered a Scandal from their UK web site and was amazed at how quickly I received it in Colorado. The two other times I ordered small parts from their US site and again amazed at how quickly my order was processed. In one instance I placed an order on Friday and received it on the following Monday and I did NOT pay for expedited shipping.

There are ups and downs in dealing with any company, but the personal service and emails from Michael and the quality of the products have me sold. Thanks guys!
    I had the same experience ordering a stem, but I am in Jersey. I too only chose the most basic free ground shipping. I ordered handle bars from another site the same day and (April 25), and have yet to see them. Last I heard they are sending back to the shipper? I don't what's up with that. All I can say is I was quite happy with the quick shipping from Titus.

However, ordering a retail piece and fixing a bike issue are two different animals, but I do not think that it should be a six week ordeal, and I do not see an excuse for such lousy communication. Just my two cents, and sorry about the experience man!

Dorkimus Prime
    I've ordered from On-One multiple times and been totally satisfied. I think it is their busy season and they were at Sea Otter may have been a factor. However, bad service isn't ok and I hope they make it up to you.

I was also happy with their employment of Shiggy who seems to be an excellent guy and representative for their brands. I'm aware this association is now over.

They build great stuff, 2/3 of my main rides are On-One's and would like to see them succeed in the N. American market.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have recieved similiar sevice in the UK, i have spent a sum of money in there store & bought a Carbon Race 29er from them last year, the bike internal cable shrouds are loose & the shifting is terrible, the headset upper cup in the frame is too big, i put 3m Heli-tape on top tube to 'protect' it & removed it a few months later to change it (after warming it slightly with a hairdryer)
    It was only the low tack one & it pulled the laquer from the frame, it had not keyed at all, all these issues were reported to the warranty dept but no one returned my call, you speak to people on the phone there & no-one is interested.
    I was getting ready to buy a Carbon Rockstar but i will never spend another £ in the shop again.
    I have sent people from work there to the showroom & they have returned scratching there heads saying they were unhelpful, not good at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Similar piss poor experience with Titus and On One. 17 days after date of order I am now being told I won't see a frame until end of June. Originally it was in stock, then it was "we will have it tomorrow". Now the story is something along the lines of wrong frame arrived. Not happy at all. Communicate to your customers.

mtbr member
    I had a good experience ordering a Scandal 29er frame. Got it fast in Canada,was packed well and they installed the head set for me which was nice.

BTW - I had to wait 4 months [the whole summer] for a warranty replacement frame from Surly. That sucked. I've gone on to buy 4 or 5 more bikes from them. Sometimes $hit happens.

Glad you are rolling again though...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I must say that i have been treated well so far.PlanetX is small company so delays can happen but i am convinced that they do the best they can to keep customers riding their bike.
    Worst customer service expieriences were provided by Ellsworth and Banshee few years back...
    Nicolai,Santa Cruz are rated the best in my MTB era.