help with the zip please

Tech question about tapered steerers

Wasn't quite sure where to put this one but as its about a 456c I figured this would be as a good a place as any.

I'm looking at getting an On-one 456 carbon frame to replace a Viper carbon Pro that is just too small for me and swapping out all parts. It's currently set up as a 26" with 95 -115 Reba u-turn fork that has a 1 1/8th steerer tube. Long term project would be to also replace wheels with 650b, probably Stans, and then also replace the fork with a tapered dual position Revelation but both of these steps will be when finances permit, read possibly 12 to 18 months.

One of the benefits I keep reading about tapered head tubes / steerers is its more rigid. Given that my current fork has a 1 1/8 steerer I will need to use the likes of the Smoothie mixer headset to adapt between the taper of the head tube and the straight steerer. Here's my question. Will I see any of the benefits of the tapered head tube with this set up or will I only notice them when I mate the tapered head tube with a tapered steerer?

Thanks

help with the zip please
    Noone at all with an opinion on this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You will not see any difference until you get a fork with a tapered steerer.
    The mixer headset just has an outer diameter that fits the frame and an inner diameter that will fit your fork 1 1/8 steerer. You get the benefit from the fork not the frame. I am not sure how much better the tapered thing is anyway. I have rode bikes with tapered forks and they donít seem stiffer than my Reba.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    One of the benefits I keep reading about tapered head tubes / steerers is its more rigid. Given that my current fork has a 1 1/8 steerer I will need to use the likes of the Smoothie mixer headset to adapt between the taper of the head tube and the straight steerer. Here's my question. Will I see any of the benefits of the tapered head tube with this set up or will I only notice them when I mate the tapered head tube with a tapered steerer?

Thanks
    You won't see any difference with your current setup and you may not see any practical difference with a tapered fork either. Some people claim to see a huge difference in a tapered fork vs. 1 1/8th fork - others see none.

Your reality will depend on you, how/where you ride and what tapered fork you end up with.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Wasn't quite sure where to put this one but as its about a 456c I figured this would be as a good a place as any.

I'm looking at getting an On-one 456 carbon frame to replace a Viper carbon Pro that is just too small for me and swapping out all parts. It's currently set up as a 26" with 95 -115 Reba u-turn fork that has a 1 1/8th steerer tube. Long term project would be to also replace wheels with 650b, probably Stans, and then also replace the fork with a tapered dual position Revelation but both of these steps will be when finances permit, read possibly 12 to 18 months.

Thanks
    Tapered head tubes/fork steer tubes stiffen in (at least) two ways:
    1. The fork is stiffer with the taper steerer.
    2. The frame can be stiffer because of the increased diameter of the head tube and the (possibly) larger DT/HT junction.

The combo of the two has the maximum affect.

A straight steerer fork in a tapered HT frame should be a stiffer setup than in a straight HT frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ow!
    Well, I am no expert by any means, but I think, based on many years with many different forks (my first susp fork was a Manitou 2), that the stiffness of the fork is mainly below the steer tube. I just went through some of this with a new Blur LTc that came with a RS Revelation (tapered). Way too flexy on that frame (for me). Changed to a Marz 55 (much more burley fork as expected) with 1 1/8, and notice very little flex. .

But some stiffness does have to do with the steer tube/head tube. I would guess that if you compared the same forks, but with different steer tubes (like Rev straight 1 1/8 vs. Rev tapered) that the tapered may be a bit stiffer.

Also, if you get a tapered fork, it can only be used on a tapered frame (maybe a 1.5 frame also?) A 1 1/8 fork can be used on any frame--important if you like to switch forks or change frames often.