mtbr member
    Jan 2004

so I built up a 26" scandal...

I wanted a hardtail to compliment my full suspension bikes, something light I could climb well with and put in a lot of miles. I went back and forth on 26 vs 29 but ultimately went 26. I had so many 26" parts that it was significantly cheaper. I was actually able to sell some of my extra parts and pocket cash in the end. I had to buy the frame, stem, headset, seat and shifters but I already had everything else. Took it on the shakedown ride last night and it's a lot of fun. Feels really nimble and light. I geared it for climbing but have other cassettes and 42/28 rings if I need them.

The frame arrived from On One USA within a couple of days of ordering. Really nice looking, especially for $200. The black annodize looks good and everything assembled smoothly. The "smoothie regular" headset is kind of ugly, the top race sticks out so far I thought it was installed wrong and actually removed it and re installed. Functionally the headset should be fine but it sits proud of the headtube and isn't very visually appealing. My cheap bathroom scale says it weighs about 25 pounds, hopefully it's a little lighter than that though.

Parts spec: 20" scandal frame, Truvativ stem and post, Sunline bars, SRAM x9 2x10 cranks with 39/26 X0 rings, X9 front derailleur, Shimano 9 speed 12-36 cassette, X7 everything else, Avid 7 brakes with Formula rotors, Fox 100 rlc fork, FSA XC 300 wheels, Ignitor tires, Oury grips, On One smoothie headset, Shimano spd pedals, WTB Silverado saddle

Looking forward to putting a lot of miles in on this rig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails so I built up a 26" scandal...-2013-02-03-16.44.31.jpg  

so I built up a 26" scandal...-2013-02-03-16.44.21.jpg  

so I built up a 26" scandal...-2013-02-02-16.30.20.jpg  

so I built up a 26" scandal...-2013-02-02-16.30.10.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Great looking Scandel, Joe. 26 is the new 29. That's what I heard anyway.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Nice I just finished one last night for my son
    16" Scandal 26er with a lefty!
    He's pretty stoked

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    sick looking bike, how is it on the descents? and all round trail riding? or is this more long haul XC?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I built it more for long haul XC. I've got full suspension for really technical stuff. The Skandal feels good on descents, but with a 100mm fork and 2.1 XC tires I'm not pushing the limits I would on a bigger bike. Overall it feels "snappy" and fun to ride. Much lighter than my other bikes so I can attack the hills more and get out of the saddle. I was worried about the top tube length being too short and I would prefer a shorter stem but with the setback post and 110 stem it fits. Nice frame, especially for the price.