The Original Suspect

And so it begins...Scandal SS build

This came in the mail today!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-img_0148.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-img_0150.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3210004.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3210008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

What a great bike! You will love the geo. Brant really nailed it with this design! What wheels will you run?

The Original Suspect
    Depends on my budget, but right now I am thinking Mavic Crossride. At $300 they are a pretty good deal. If I free up some more cash I may look into some Stan's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Chainlove has had some WTB tubeless wheelsets in the $250-300 range -- a good bargain. WTB makes great UST rims.

The Original Suspect
    I'll check it out. I am waiting for On One to get a new shipment of their carbon 29er race forks. They said possibly early May.

The Original Suspect
    Thought I'd add the weight out of the box. Frame: 1694g Seat post: 282g Seat post collar: 38g

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I have essentially that fork on my Lurcher -- so light and strong. It's a great fork at a good price.
    And so it begins...Scandal SS build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363905250.040978.jpg
    I will put a Reba and gears on for summer/fall riding, and then switch back to rigid SS for next winter.

The Original Suspect
    Nice!

What cranks are you using?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

XT or SLX (can't remember) with On One 32 ring and bash guard in front. PF92 for the wide Lurcher BB shell.

Will switch a SRAM 10-speed cassette/der from one of my Inbreds to run 1x10 gears. Maybe even drop to a smaller chainring for the long climbs.

The Original Suspect
    Another shot of my new On One!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-img_0151.jpg  

The Original Suspect
    UPDATE: It's been a slow process, but it is moving. I purchased from ON ONE their seat post, seat post clamp, Smoothie Mixer headset and 70mm stem. I also got the horizontal dropouts. From Jenson I picked up a black Charge Spoon saddle.

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-img_0212.jpgAnd so it begins...Scandal SS build-one-stuff.jpg

Just Ride!
    Is the On-One stem gorgeous or what... I amazed with the quality at the pricepoint.

The Original Suspect
    I am actually amazed at all of their products. Very competitively priced and weight.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    The CNC stem is lovely but it is a generic Chinese part as it is the same as the Superstar one and a few others so I don't thing its loveliness is down to On-Ones on this occasion

I went for th polished silver with a polished On-one bar and Thompson post (from on one for a bargain price)

Loving my Scandal more and more

Just Ride!
    Thanks for raining on the parade... We should just stop with gorgeous and lovely so we can enjoy our investments!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I have definitely bought lower-quality/more expensive stuff at LBS's. Makes me really appreciate the good quality/inexpensive inventory from On One/Planet X. Things that stand out are stems, seat posts, bars and frames/forks.

The Original Suspect
    UPDATE: Pulled the trigger on this today: X Fusion Slide RL2 29er Suspension Fork Lock Out 100mm 1 1 8" New | eBay

Slow it goes, but still going!

The Original Suspect
    Here she is mounted. Beginning to look like a bike. Not the bars I am gonna use, just installed for effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-scandal-build-7_18.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I have heard good things about the Xfusion forks. Let me know what you think about it when you get riding. The frame and fork look great!

The Original Suspect
    I am excited! For the $$ there's nothing else out there (new). I will update as I go.

The Original Suspect
    X-Fusion sans stickers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-sans-stickers.jpg  

The Original Suspect
    Easton Haven bars. 279g @711 mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-haven-bars.jpg  

The Original Suspect
    Just won the auction on these: Avid BB7 Front Rear Caliper 160mm G3 Rotors Speed Dial 7 SD7 Levers | eBay

Will post pics when they arrive!

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Just won the auction on these: Avid BB7 Front Rear Caliper 160mm G3 Rotors Speed Dial 7 SD7 Levers | eBay

Will post pics when they arrive!
    Ahh yes, the Chinese connection. Don’t be surprised if they’re the poorly-casted caliper housings that might not last 100,000 miles like the proper $120-per-set (front and rear—calipers/rotors/cables/housings/levers/discs/etc) ones on Blue Sky Cycling.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    X-Fusion sans stickers.
    LOL, I did the same to my X-Fusion fork the day I got it! The stickers looked cheap IMO.

Overall, I like the fork. I bought it originally because it had an 80mm option that I thought might come in handy on my Karate Monkey, but I left it at 100mm and haven't had any issues.

Keep us posted; I am looking into an On One geared hardtail as I will probably be converting the Monkey to SS this fall. My buddy/coworker has the Inbred and loves it, but I'm also considering the Scandal.

The Original Suspect
    For the BB7's that are on their way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-jagwire.jpg  

The Original Suspect
    UPDATE:

OK, so I got the Chinese BB7's, rotors and levers all seem totally legit!

Rode with some buddies from work and we got to talking about my "project" bike and what I needed to get it rideable. Told them wheels and cranks cause I knew my brakes would be here yesterday. That opened up the "I have a set of old XT cranks with a 32t chainring" and "there's a front wheel at the shop" and "I have a rear SS specific wheel with an 18t cog and a set of tires I pulled off my Surly."

I am like, "Hell yah!" So, after our ride I head home and wait for the mailman. Sure enough my goodies came and I grabbed my parts and half built bike and headed to the shop (I have a part time job at REI so I have access to the shop and all it's great tools).

I break out the BB7's and no problem with the front on the X-Fusion Slide and the Jagwire housing looks cool, but the rear gave problems from the first second. I remember reading here that BB7's and Scandals are difficult, so with some research I found that I need a 185mm rotor and thus the adapter that goes with it. (Please correct me if I am wrong) Rotor no problem, I'll rob off my FS back home. The adapter, not so good! Not one in the shop or two other shops close by. Ok, I know that something has to go wrong EVERY time on a new build. Not upset, worst case I will rob my FS of it's rear hydro just to get it rolling. (which is what I did).

With her all set up I took her out for a shake down ride after work. All I can say is WOW! This bike felt good right from the gate. Quick and responsive! I was happy that I chose a 75mm stem and my 710mm bars are amazing! I was a little concerned with the 32/18 gearing because my intent was to go 32/20. For the first ride I chose a set of relatively easy trails for about 10.5 miles. I have never ridden a single speed nor a 29'er so I wasn't really sure what I was in for.

What a great ride!! I felt great even thru the short climbs and small amount of tech. After dropping my info into Garmin Connect and Strava I found that I had a personal best on a trail that I have ridden dozens of times on my 26 in FS.

So my first impression is that I Love This Bike!! It's still a work in progress and now I can take a little more time to fine tune my remaining parts selection. As she sits, she is right at 24lbs. With the Arch EX's run tubeless and different cranks, I hope she will hover around 23 lbs.

The Original Suspect
    What's up with the photos???

For some reason I can't upload!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I also love the geo of the Scandal/29er Inbred/Lurcher for all-round riding. And the Scandal is so light -- great choice!

The Original Suspect
    Thanks! After my first ride I feel real good that I didn't pull the trigger on the Spec. Carve SS SL.

The Original Suspect
    And so it begins...Scandal SS build-scandal-shake-down.jpg

After first ride on borrowed wheels and cranks. You can see I was still running one hydro and one mech brake, not anymore.

The Original Suspect
    After two months and many miles, still loving this ride! Just completed 1x9 conversion with a few spares. Not a permanent conversion though only for this month. Reason? Doing the Picket Post to Kelvin ride later this month and want to ride this bike but I would be walking the whole 38 miles if didn't have a few gears to choose from.

Feeling a little bit like I cheated on my girlfriend with this conversion. Kinda guilty for making the switch. I am hooked on SS! So as soon as possible I'll switch back. I do know now that I need a hard tail with gears as well as SS. What's the expression to signify how many bikes one needs? N+1 always, right?

Anyway, conversion done with parts from the bin with the exception of the new RaceFace narrow/wide ring. Still on the horizon for upgrades, new cranks (still not sure which ones), wheels...I acquired a set of Crossmax ST with a broken axle. Axle on order as well as converters to 9mm. So, all I really need is tires and I am set for wheels. I guess I will need to upgrade shifters as well as cassette at some point though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-1x9-conversion.jpg  

Just Ride!
    Keep us posted on the narrow/wide in conjunction with the non-clutch derailleur. If your chain stays on well, I'll be trying that too.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Keep us posted on the narrow/wide in conjunction with the non-clutch derailleur. If your chain stays on well, I'll be trying that too.
    I used a wolftooth ring with no clutch derailleur and it held up great. Never dropped a chain.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

The Original Suspect
    I plan on putting 20+ miles in tomorrow so I'll update when I get back.

The Original Suspect
    Ok it's been a while, so since tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of my Scandal's arrival I thought I'd give a 1 year build update. So, as these things rarely go as planned my build took many unexpected turns. I don't feel like it is 100% yet but very respectable.

Most recently I added XT-b brakes at both ends with 180/160 Ice-Tech rotors. Oddly the most expensive (out of pocket) system on the bike. I think I scored with the X-Fussion Slide gleaned off Ebay for less than $300 delivered. But the biggest $$-wise score was the Mavic Crossmax ST wheel set I acquired in barter for a Garmin 910xt that I won in a contest...Ok, the rear wheel had a broken axle that cost me $75 bucks to have replaced and I needed to get adapters to run skewers but thats it. The RaceFace cranks aren't what I had planned for, but at $59 bucks will do until I can justify some E-thirteen's.

Overall I am super stoked about this bike. My first SS and now by far my favorite ride. I did have it set up as a 1x10 for a couple months only to train and race. Which now makes me want to build a carbon 1x hard tail...Another thread.

Thought I'd add that she sits right at 21 lbs. I plan on adding Easton Haven carbon bars and seat post in the near future which will undoubtedly drop it down a little more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200040.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200041.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200042.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200043.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200044.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200046.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200047.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200049.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200050.jpg  

Last edited by HitmenOnlyInc; 04-21-2014 at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice build!

I have an On One 456 Evo2 and I love On One's price/quality, so threads like this kill me! Makes me want to build up a SS haha

The Original Suspect
    Update:

Over the summer I added an Easton Haven carbon seat post and just today finished a OneUp conversion. Maiden voyage tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-scandal-oneup-conversion.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-img_1348.jpg