Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Original Suspect
    For the BB7's that are on their way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-jagwire.jpg  

The Original Suspect
    UPDATE:

OK, so I got the Chinese BB7's, rotors and levers all seem totally legit!

Rode with some buddies from work and we got to talking about my "project" bike and what I needed to get it rideable. Told them wheels and cranks cause I knew my brakes would be here yesterday. That opened up the "I have a set of old XT cranks with a 32t chainring" and "there's a front wheel at the shop" and "I have a rear SS specific wheel with an 18t cog and a set of tires I pulled off my Surly."

I am like, "Hell yah!" So, after our ride I head home and wait for the mailman. Sure enough my goodies came and I grabbed my parts and half built bike and headed to the shop (I have a part time job at REI so I have access to the shop and all it's great tools).

I break out the BB7's and no problem with the front on the X-Fusion Slide and the Jagwire housing looks cool, but the rear gave problems from the first second. I remember reading here that BB7's and Scandals are difficult, so with some research I found that I need a 185mm rotor and thus the adapter that goes with it. (Please correct me if I am wrong) Rotor no problem, I'll rob off my FS back home. The adapter, not so good! Not one in the shop or two other shops close by. Ok, I know that something has to go wrong EVERY time on a new build. Not upset, worst case I will rob my FS of it's rear hydro just to get it rolling. (which is what I did).

With her all set up I took her out for a shake down ride after work. All I can say is WOW! This bike felt good right from the gate. Quick and responsive! I was happy that I chose a 75mm stem and my 710mm bars are amazing! I was a little concerned with the 32/18 gearing because my intent was to go 32/20. For the first ride I chose a set of relatively easy trails for about 10.5 miles. I have never ridden a single speed nor a 29'er so I wasn't really sure what I was in for.

What a great ride!! I felt great even thru the short climbs and small amount of tech. After dropping my info into Garmin Connect and Strava I found that I had a personal best on a trail that I have ridden dozens of times on my 26 in FS.

So my first impression is that I Love This Bike!! It's still a work in progress and now I can take a little more time to fine tune my remaining parts selection. As she sits, she is right at 24lbs. With the Arch EX's run tubeless and different cranks, I hope she will hover around 23 lbs.

The Original Suspect
    What's up with the photos???

For some reason I can't upload!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

And so it begins...Scandal SS build

I also love the geo of the Scandal/29er Inbred/Lurcher for all-round riding. And the Scandal is so light -- great choice!

The Original Suspect
    Thanks! After my first ride I feel real good that I didn't pull the trigger on the Spec. Carve SS SL.

The Original Suspect
    And so it begins...Scandal SS build-scandal-shake-down.jpg

After first ride on borrowed wheels and cranks. You can see I was still running one hydro and one mech brake, not anymore.

The Original Suspect
    After two months and many miles, still loving this ride! Just completed 1x9 conversion with a few spares. Not a permanent conversion though only for this month. Reason? Doing the Picket Post to Kelvin ride later this month and want to ride this bike but I would be walking the whole 38 miles if didn't have a few gears to choose from.

Feeling a little bit like I cheated on my girlfriend with this conversion. Kinda guilty for making the switch. I am hooked on SS! So as soon as possible I'll switch back. I do know now that I need a hard tail with gears as well as SS. What's the expression to signify how many bikes one needs? N+1 always, right?

Anyway, conversion done with parts from the bin with the exception of the new RaceFace narrow/wide ring. Still on the horizon for upgrades, new cranks (still not sure which ones), wheels...I acquired a set of Crossmax ST with a broken axle. Axle on order as well as converters to 9mm. So, all I really need is tires and I am set for wheels. I guess I will need to upgrade shifters as well as cassette at some point though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-1x9-conversion.jpg  

Just Ride!
    Keep us posted on the narrow/wide in conjunction with the non-clutch derailleur. If your chain stays on well, I'll be trying that too.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Keep us posted on the narrow/wide in conjunction with the non-clutch derailleur. If your chain stays on well, I'll be trying that too.
    I used a wolftooth ring with no clutch derailleur and it held up great. Never dropped a chain.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

The Original Suspect
    I plan on putting 20+ miles in tomorrow so I'll update when I get back.

The Original Suspect
    Ok it's been a while, so since tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of my Scandal's arrival I thought I'd give a 1 year build update. So, as these things rarely go as planned my build took many unexpected turns. I don't feel like it is 100% yet but very respectable.

Most recently I added XT-b brakes at both ends with 180/160 Ice-Tech rotors. Oddly the most expensive (out of pocket) system on the bike. I think I scored with the X-Fussion Slide gleaned off Ebay for less than $300 delivered. But the biggest $$-wise score was the Mavic Crossmax ST wheel set I acquired in barter for a Garmin 910xt that I won in a contest...Ok, the rear wheel had a broken axle that cost me $75 bucks to have replaced and I needed to get adapters to run skewers but thats it. The RaceFace cranks aren't what I had planned for, but at $59 bucks will do until I can justify some E-thirteen's.

Overall I am super stoked about this bike. My first SS and now by far my favorite ride. I did have it set up as a 1x10 for a couple months only to train and race. Which now makes me want to build a carbon 1x hard tail...Another thread.

Thought I'd add that she sits right at 21 lbs. I plan on adding Easton Haven carbon bars and seat post in the near future which will undoubtedly drop it down a little more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200040.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200041.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200042.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200043.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200044.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200046.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200047.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200049.jpg  

And so it begins...Scandal SS build-p3200050.jpg  

Last edited by HitmenOnlyInc; 04-21-2014 at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice build!

I have an On One 456 Evo2 and I love On One's price/quality, so threads like this kill me! Makes me want to build up a SS haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2