Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

so..any news about a 29" Am ht?

Mr Brant..any new for a 29" Am ht? ...I really just want to buy a front 29" am hardtail, but the ones available are too expensive and the only one I could think of buying is the Kona Honzo but unfortunately is just 1x10....If OnOne is not coming out with something like that I guess I either will go with a 16" Honzo and will survive with the 1x10 setup or a new vertical Inbred 29", building her quite burly lowering my marzocchi 44 from 120 to 100mm (pity for that and even that I will not be able to use my Reverb post too )
    ..all other options are all between 670 to 900 euros..s..and I really think it is too much for a steel or alu taiwan front hardtail frame ..It is rather curious to me that still no one has done it yet, since Im sure it would get some success..

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    I have a sort of "summer season" 29er drawn, which we're probably going to go with.
    Points are:-
    67.5deg head angle, static with 100mm forks.
    Standard 34mm internal headtube. Not oversize 44mm for reasons of "not scaring people" and facing issues.
    432mm chainstays, mid point, slot dropout.
    ISCG 05
    30.9mm seatpost compatible.
    Runs an XT triple chain set and front mech.

I am going to do a mini production run as I think it'll work, but not confident enough to get 100's arriving.

Should be pretty similar price to current stuff we do.
    --
    brant
    http://www.shedfire.com
    Designing for Titus USA, On-One and Planet X.

mtbr member
    Nice to hear!! ...even if 67,5 static with 100mm forks sound really slack..But to say the truth I had really nice rides with my SSeason with a cheap 100mm short Recon fork. So.if the equation will work too..it will be a nice bike .
    But please keep the price low an the 30,9 post!! I cant ride with a Reverb anymore..and the 27,2 options around are junk compared to it..
    I hope you will come out with it soon..I need a new bike..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    I have a sort of "summer season" 29er drawn, which we're probably going to go with.
    Standard 34mm internal headtube. Not oversize 44mm for reasons of "not scaring people" and facing issues.
    ISCG 05

I am going to do a mini production run as I think it'll work, but not confident enough to get 100's arriving.

What a bummer Brant.

That drawing you sent me included the 44mm headtube and I was stoked to see what other tweaks you could do, not take a step backwards in design sort of.

I think the whole point of a Summer Season 29er is to run bigger forks than 100mm (and stiffer too), and none of of these new longer travel forks (Revelation or Fox 34) come in a 1 1/8" steerer, only tapered. I don't see a Summer Season type frame running with an XC style Fox Float 29 or a 100mm Reba.

It sure does sound slack at 67.5 with only 100mm travel, but I trust your judgement in geometry and design.

The 432mm chainstays also look to be second longest in the All-Mountain category, right after the Transition TransAM at 435mm (Canfield Yelli Screamy 424mm, Banshee Paradox 427mm, Chromag Surface 427mm, 2Souls QH/SJ 427mm, Kona Honzo 414mm).

You've mentioned triple crank clearance and front mech too, so what are we looking at in terms of chainstay clearance? Enough for a 2.4 Ardent with a 1x9?

Everything else looks good and if it will gain popularity, hopefully you can implement some of these changes for it to be competitive in the All-Mountain 29er HT segment, and a frame I would buy and make work with my current components!

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    I'm not completely discounting 44mm HT - bearing in mind I did a range of bikes with them for Ragley, I'd say I'm pretty experienced with them and am just waiting for a few things to catch up.

I also don't want to introduce ANOTHER headset standard to on-one. We have two. 34mm External, and "Smoothie Mixer". I don't want another in there right now.

And the reason for 100mm? For smaller guys who suffer with standover on 29er already. 140mm 29ers? My god - they will be like bikes for giants! So high at the front!

As I said - 432mm is midpoint of dropout. Not slammed forward. And I am measuring 432mm along the chainstay to bb centreline. Not some other hoopla way of doing it.

We are making a 2.4in 29er tyre. I would like that to fit.

ps; I don't do "design by committee" so you're wasting your time ;-)
    --
    brant

mtbr member
    I'm not completely discounting 44mm HT - bearing in mind I did a range of bikes with them for Ragley, I'd say I'm pretty experienced with them and am just waiting for a few things to catch up.

I also don't want to introduce ANOTHER headset standard to on-one. We have two. 34mm External, and "Smoothie Mixer". I don't want another in there right now.

And the reason for 100mm? For smaller guys who suffer with standover on 29er already. 140mm 29ers? My god - they will be like bikes for giants! So high at the front!

As I said - 432mm is midpoint of dropout. Not slammed forward. And I am measuring 432mm along the chainstay to bb centreline. Not some other hoopla way of doing it.

All the frames that I've listed are spec'd around a 120mm fork. And they have no trouble running 140mm forks either. Spec a shorter head tube, flat bars and we're in business.

So basically what we are looking at is a Canfield Nimble9 competitor. Standard headtube, 100-120mm forks, decent tire clearance. What's gained is dropper-friendly seat tube and ISCG tabs. And slackness galore. Steep SA too?

Definitely interested to see the frame.

Sloping top tube for bigger sizes like you mentioned previously?
    Last edited by eurospek; 03-25-2012 at 08:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Brant, do you know when it will be available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post

It sure does sound slack at 67.5 with only 100mm travel, but I trust your judgement in geometry and design.
    67.5 is static with 100mm travel - (you gotta then factor in the sag you'll be running to get the true HT angle at sag

mtbr member
    ISCG 05

So Mr Brant..any idea when your summer thing will come out , more or less?..I have some marzcchi 44 and a Reverb 30,9 resting in the garage ...waiting for it!
    Taxi yellow or raw steel colour would be great!.. ...but the best would be chrome !!! Dont know why I dont see anymore chrome steel frame anymore..I loved my eighties bmxs with that look..Last time I saw one was my friend's DMR Exalt..
    p.s. I like the idea to run it at 100mm but I would like to be able to try it with 120mm too and still getting some upright position for the seat tube..

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingleman View Post
    So Mr Brant..any idea when your summer thing will come out , more or less?..I have some marzcchi 44 and a Reverb 30,9 resting in the garage ...waiting for it!
    Taxi yellow or raw steel colour would be great!.. ...but the best would be chrome !!! Dont know why I dont see anymore chrome steel frame anymore..I loved my eighties bmxs with that look..Last time I saw one was my friend's DMR Exalt..
    p.s. I like the idea to run it at 100mm but I would like to be able to try it with 120mm too and still getting some upright position for the seat tube..
    I'm wobbling about head tube. Maybe 44mm is OK.
    --
    brant

mtbr member
    I'm wobbling about head tube. Maybe 44mm is OK.

Definitely glad to hear you're thinking about it. If the 44mm happens and price is on par with the other frames, and a 21" XL is available (25"+ ETT), I would buy one and try out, just swap the stuff from my Honzo.

And I'm with Jingleman, a raw steel like the 456 EVO would be sick, but with more subtle colored graphics instead of orange. And the old school 456 Summer Season banana Yellow with white decals again would be nice too.
    Last edited by eurospek; 04-11-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    Subtle, and banana yellow mentioned in the same sentence. Funny.
    Raw/orange sold out loads faster than the blue. But I am sure we don't have to make this frame the same colour.
    --
    brant

mtbr member
    Subtle, and banana yellow mentioned in the same sentence. Funny.
    Raw/orange sold out loads faster than the blue. But I am sure we don't have to make this frame the same colour.
    Forget banana yellow. Highlighter neon yellow with black graphics is even more subtle. That would be hot!

With the raw, you have so many different color options for parts, almost anything matches, until you're hit with the orange decals. Then you can only match with some orange anodized bars.

mtbr member
    So Brant..are you going to show something about it?.
    Are you going to produce that mini Summer series anytime soon?
    ...I would have bought the vertical Inbred at the fantastic price it is out now..but I would like to use my Reverb post..and my Marz44 fork at 120mm..or at least 100mm with slack HT..

mtbr member

I think you're onto something Brant with this 100/110 travel idea. I have a Fox 34 Talas on the Honzo and I must say I prefer the bike much more at 110mm than the 140mm travel setting. More pedal strikes yes, but just overall so much better. Who know a long travel 29er hardtail isn't really all that similar to a long travel 26er hardtail?

mtbr member
    ...anyway..I have the feeling that this pic has something to do with all what we are talking about here..Hope Im not wrong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails so..any news about a 29" Am ht?-brant_squid-ink.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    For god's sake why do you need 44 HT for 100 or 120 fork, we had a very good time with 1.1/8 HT and we dont want to throw away all ours HS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    For god's sake why do you need 44 HT for 100 or 120 fork, we had a very good time with 1.1/8 HT and we dont want to throw away all ours HS
    Because why bother making a slack All-Mountain hardtail that is behind the category standards? If you want to stay with a 1 1/8 headset, just opt for the regular Inbred 29er. I can definitely see this frame being ran with All-Mountain forks lowered to 100-120 like the RS Revelation, Fox 34, and the WB Loops. I surely wouldn't want a noodly Fox Float F29 without a tapered steerer on a platform label All-Mountain (slack angles, big tire clearance, etc.)
    Last edited by eurospek; 05-26-2012 at 04:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Because why bother making a slack All-Mountain hardtail that is behind the category standards? If you want to stay with a 1 1/8 headset, just opt for the regular Inbred 29er. I can definitely see this frame being ran with All-Mountain forks lowered to 100-120 like the RS Revelation, Fox 34, and the WB Loops. I surely wouldn't want a noodly Fox Float F29 without a tapered steerer on a platform label All-Mountain (slack angles, big tire clearance, etc.)
    All that 44/Tapered, 10 speed, 15mm' front axle is a big BUL##@@T....
    My Nimble 9 is 1.1/8 and I think that its a better bike then my 44 HT Transition 29er TM.
    White Brother 1.1/8 fork like mine is a better fork then my 1.1/8 120 Reba or my tapered 140 Reba.

I don't think that the Nimble is behind the category standard....
    and I don't think that a company like On One is the one to go after the herd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    All that 44/Tapered, 10 speed, 15mm' front axle is a big BUL##@@T....
    My Nimble 9 is 1.1/8 and I think that its a better bike then my 44 HT Transition 29er TM.
    White Brother 1.1/8 fork like mine is a better fork then my 1.1/8 120 Reba or my tapered 140 Reba.

I don't think that the Nimble is behind the category standard....
    and I don't think that a company like On One is the one to go after the herd.
    I would say mostly due to the shorter CS on the N9. The TransAM is almost 17" CS measurement. And I'm sure it's heavier as well. The N9 and the Yelli Screamy are both fantastic frames, and the TransAM looks alright. I had the 26er version and I wasn't really wow'd by it. But that's maybe due to improper sizing.

The 44 or tapered headtube is a must for bigger guys like myself, especially with a 29er fork. I can appreciate the stiffness of the Fox 34 platform right now on the Honzo.

And going back to the headset issue about reusing, I would rather invest in a new $60 Cane Creek 40 headset and reuse my Fox 34 Talas fork that cost quite more than going back to a 1 1/8 fork and dropping again $800+ on another, which would be more flexy from the get go. I really don't understand all this fuss about using the 44 headtube, it's not like asking for a 142x12 rear end which is a lot more $$$ to produce than headtube tubing I imagine.

mtbr member
    I really would like Mr Brant to tell me if this summerseason29thing is going to appear somehow someday....is the project still alive?

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingleman View Post
    I really would like Mr Brant to tell me if this summerseason29thing is going to appear somehow someday....is the project still alive?
    Project ongoing, but it's probably going to appear in Titanium first of all, and branded as Titus!
    --
    brant

mos
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Do you think 100mm is the max sensible fork length for a 29er? How come you're not speccing it for something like a 120mm fork, if its intended for abuse?

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    Quote Originally Posted by mos View Post
    Do you think 100mm is the max sensible fork length for a 29er? How come you're not speccing it for something like a 120mm fork, if its intended for abuse?
    It's based around 120-140mm now, tapered too :-)
    --
    brant

mos
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sooo, i could buy say a fox 95-120 talas fork for the Lurcher that turned up last week, then swap the frame for one of these new jobbies when they come out & not have to change my forks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast