menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005

Smoothie Mixer headset 1 1/8" non-tapered confusion

So I picked up a new Lurcher frame. Also got the smoothie mixer headset, and I spec'd the 1 1/8" straight setup. I cannot get it to work with my 1 1/8" Reba. I've tried to figure out how it works, but am mildly stumped. Questions:
    1) is there a better place to be asking these questions?
    2) What I assume is the adapter plate (it's a 1/5" diameter plate with a hole that approximates 1 1/8") doesn't seem to slide all the way down the fork to the crown race. It ends up about half or 3/4 inch above it, without hammering on it. Am I doing something wrong?
    3) Did I even order the correct parts?
    Last edited by sashax; 09-10-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: title clarification

mtbr member
    May 2008
    They crown race needs to be hammered on with a special tool or many will use a piece of PVC pipe.

Park Tool Co. CRS-1 : Crown Race Setting System : Frame & Fork Tools

Aug 2005
    Right, sorry. The crown race is installed correctly. It's (what I think is) the adapter plate that isn;t sliding down the fork.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not sure what part you are looking at, I did not need an adapter for my lurcher with a straight steer tube.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sashax View Post
    Right, sorry. The crown race is installed correctly. It's (what I think is) the adapter plate that isn;t sliding down the fork.
    There is no "adaptor plate".

The included 1-1/8" (straight steer tube) crown race for the Smoothie Mixer is one piece, fits directly on the fork and fits the bearing.
    Name:  mix_cr1.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  29.5 KB
    Name:  mix_cr2.jpg
Views: 2245
Size:  35.6 KB
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Aug 2005
    Aha. What I thought was an adapter plate is actually the crown race. Makes sense. thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I thought this was a good one to go off of...
    I just got a scandal frame and will be using a straight 1 1/8" fork and smothie mixer headset. I had them install the cups before shipping. In the box was the rest of the headset parts; the crown race, star nut, top cap & bolt, a small washer, a gold bearing, and cover. I've removed the old crown race and installed the new one just like in Shiggy's pic. So that's all the goes on/in the bottom? The gold beraring, washer and cover go into the top? Then I just slide it in and the crown race fits up againts the bottom? Have I got this right? Not my picture, but this show the bottom.
    Smoothie Mixer headset  1 1/8" non-tapered confusion-7026982461_e40b16a636_c.jpg

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Smoothie Mixer headset 1 1/8" non-tapered confusion

Quote Originally Posted by haager View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I thought this was a good one to go off of...
    I just got a scandal frame and will be using a straight 1 1/8" fork and smothie mixer headset. I had them install the cups before shipping. In the box was the rest of the headset parts; the crown race, star nut, top cap & bolt, a small washer, a gold bearing, and cover. I've removed the old crown race and installed the new one just like in Shiggy's pic. So that's all the goes on/in the bottom? The gold beraring, washer and cover go into the top? Then I just slide it in and the crown race fits up againts the bottom? Have I got this right? Not my picture, but this show the bottom.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7026982461_e40b16a636_c.jpg 
Views:	1585 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	797566

Thanks!
    Yup
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Re: Smoothie Mixer headset 1 1/8" non-tapered confusion

Thanks a bunch Shiggy!

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi

I have emailed on-one asking for a tech data sheet for the On-one smoothie regular +5 headset as I am looking to use on my COTIC Bfe with a Lyrik fork so I can prevent clashes the controls and down tube.

On one "could not provide me with this information" for whatever reason. Other brands like FSA do so and it helps prevent issues like putting things together the wrong way etc etc.

Anyway the lower portion of the frame's headtube only protrudes about 10mm-15mm from the junction with the downtube and because the smoothie has a large diameter bottom cup and does not taper from the headtube out I am concerned that when installed its outer edge might hit the downtube.

Can anyone on this forum measure their bottom cup diameter and let me know please... (in mm)

I do have a mixed taper smoothie on an el guapo but can't imagine that it would be the same size bottom cup on a regular?! that might look a bit odd!

Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    the Smoothie mixer is like the CK Inset 3.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.