mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Sizing on Carbon Whippet

I want to get a carbon whippet soon, but im not sure about what size, 16' or 18'.

Im 15, about 5'8, and weight 130 pounds.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You want to size it based on top tube length, not seat tube length. Without knowing your proportions I would guess that you are in between the two sizes. Meaning a 16" with a long stem would work, or an 18" with a short stem. I am 5' 11" and am riding the 18" with a 100mm stem.

What are you riding now and how long is the effective top tube length? If you like what you currently have, then you should get whichever size is closest to what you have now.

Or if you really have no idea what size you need, Competitive Cyclist has a pretty good online fit calculator. I have used it and the numbers it gives are pretty spot on for me. It is a bit of work taking all the measurements, but I think its well worth it.

Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Known Mountainbiker
    I'm 5'7" and I ride a 18" Whippet with a 100mm stem. Fits perfect.

My point is do some really good measuring and try and test ride a Whippet before you buy. I personally went straight to Shiggy with my Dean setup (medium/17.5") to make sure it was the 18" Whippet frame that I wanted. Had I gone off of these forums suggestions and/or the OnOne webside, I would have ended up with a short cockpit.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    sizing is my worry too. i want to build a whippet 650b 1x10, but not sure if i would be more confortable on an 18" or 20" frame. Both my Spec. bikes (epic and rockhopper) are large, i'm 6' with a 32" inseam. Thinking the 18", but not sure enough to pull the trigger and buy one
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingmat View Post
    sizing is my worry too. i want to build a whippet 650b 1x10, but not sure if i would be more confortable on an 18" or 20" frame. Both my Spec. bikes (epic and rockhopper) are large, i'm 6' with a 32" inseam. Thinking the 18", but not sure enough to pull the trigger and buy one
    Compare the ETT lengths.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    according to geometry on Specialized website, the Epic Top Tube Length (Horizontal) is 615mm (roughly measured bike just to see, and give me reference). Measured my rockhopper (as they have done away with archieves pre-2007 now) at about 590mm-ish.

guess the 18" with a 602mm ETT would be the happy-medium (play with stem lenghts if i must), however both stand-over heights and seat tube lenghts are a little bit higher on my Spec-'s then the Whippet.

thanks shiggy
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingmat View Post
    according to geometry on Specialized website, the Epic Top Tube Length (Horizontal) is 615mm (roughly measured bike just to see, and give me reference). Measured my rockhopper (as they have done away with archieves pre-2007 now) at about 590mm-ish.

guess the 18" with a 602mm ETT would be the happy-medium (play with stem lenghts if i must), however both stand-over heights and seat tube lenghts are a little bit higher on my Spec-'s then the Whippet.

thanks shiggy
    I am 5'10" and am riding a large Epic with a 90mm stem. My Whippet is an 18" and I use a 100mm stem, which puts me pretty much in the same position on both bikes. Also keep in mind that the Whippet has a very short headtube (18' and 20" frames use the same length), so at your height you may need a lot of spacers, or a riser bar. At your height you may also need a 400mm seatpost on the 18", it really depends on your inseam.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1