mtbr member
    Jan 2004

short top tubes..

I've got enough parts in the garage to build up a hardtail and was looking at the Inbred and Skandal 26ers for endurance/XC type riding. I wish the top tubes weren't so short though. The 20" frames I was considering only have 24.1-24.2" effective top tubes. Pretty cramped for an XC/trail bike, seems like it should be in the 24.5-25" range. Maybe it's a carry-over from the days of 120mm+ stems. I think I'd need a setback post and a huge stem to make this work and I'm only 6'2". Too bad because it seems like a great value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Interesting take. You normally see people complaining the TT is too long. A surly large 1x1 for example has an ETT of 23.62 and their medium is 23.02. I've had two MED 1x1's over the years and ran 110 stems. I have two 18 inch inbreds one SS with a 70mm stem and a 1x9 setup with a 90 stem the later being more XC stretched (I'm 6'). I'm not running a setback but it is a flagpole. If you look at the sizing numbers on the UK site you'll see recommendations for a 40-80mm stem on the 20 inch. The scandal leans more xc and IME the inbred is pretty neutral between xc and trail depending on the build.

Edit: I am running wider bars on the inbreds than the 1x1's. But the on one's 23.7 ETT (18) versus the surly 23.02 is still noticable.