mtbr member
    Dec 2013

New question here. Short guy + 16" 456 Ti = Bad Idea?

Hey all,
    I'm shopping around for a new all-mountain bike, and the On One Ti456 is one that I'm eyeing.

I notice On One doesn't offer a small (14") Ti456. I'm concerned about fit on a 16". I'm 5'4" and have a 29" inseam. I've got a 16.5" 2001 Trek 4500, and I feel pretty good on it. Looks like the top stack length on the 16" Ti is about 1-2" longer than on my ancient Trek, but everything else is pretty similar.

Can anyone who is of similar height and rides a 456 (Ti or otherwise) give any impression/advice regarding getting a 16" frame?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I don't have experience with a 456, but I have the same height/inseam as you and have been drooling over the Ti version.
    According to their sizing guide a 29" inseam would be fine on the 16" frame, but at 5'4" they suggest going for the 14" (which is not an option in Ti).
    My current bike has a 567mm effective top tube + 60mm stem, so I guess I'd be fine on a 16" 456 with a 40mm stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yep, I saw that the stand over should be fine with the 16" frame, but I guess we'd be stretched out too much. Ugh.

That's not a bad idea to put a 40mm stem instead of the smallest (60 mm) they offer in a complete bike over in planet-x-usa. Wonder if that'd work out ok.

Gah! Buying bikes online without actually testing them out is a bit nerve-wracking!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If this gives you any perspective, I am a 5'9" and went for a 18" C456 as they were out of 16" bikes.

I felt as if the bike was far too long for me even with a 50mm stem and I didn't enjoy riding it at all (although there were some other things I didn't like about the bike).

I would not get the 16" bike if I were you. Or, worst case, order a steel version in the same 16" size and see how you like it. Sell it when you decide it's too big for you or when you decide to spend the money on a Ti version.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That's good advice, and it's one that I am leaning towards. More specifically, I've abandoned the idea (sadly) of getting a Ti 456. Revisiting the idea of buying a small steel 456 or Transition TransAM. Just worried about the maintenance required for steel...

Thanks for advice!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by abstraxon View Post
    Revisiting the idea of buying a small steel 456 or Transition TransAM. Just worried about the maintenance required for steel...
    I ordered a steel Evo 2 more than one month ago and it hasn't been delivered yet. I have gone through many hassles with Planet X and I will not take the chance to order again from them.
    Anyway, as for the sizing concern - I am 176 cm so I ordered a 16".
    What do you mean by "mainentance required for steel"? Are you refering to merely rust removal or is there any other thing that I am missing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Oh man, that's pretty crappy customer service! Now, I'm even more hesitant about purchasing a 456 from them, since it's the only On-One dealer in the States. Hopefully, you'll get your bike soon!

And, yeah, I'm worried about the probability of the frame rusting (seen and unseen). I'll, no doubt, ride it through puddles/mud and scuff up the frame falling down. I've read where people tear their bike down to the frame and re-apply frame saver inside and out once a year. I'm neither mechanically-proficient nor do I have the tools to do this. I know Transitions applies anti-rust coating on the inside and outside of their frames; not sure about On-One.

Unnecessarily worried, you think?