Tigers love pepper...

Scandal, what's it worth?

I have (if I remember right) a 2008 Scandal 29er. My Salsa Spearfish just broke a chainstay yesterday (which I'm hoping will get warrantied). Depending on what happens I'm likely left with 2 scenarios.......

1. Salsa doesn't replace my rear triangle for some reason. If that's the case my Scandal will probably return to duty as my XC bike for the time being... I'll move my fork, gears, bars, brakes, stem all over from it to the Scandal and have a nice geared hardtail. Then I will buy a new FS rig, probably a Salsa Horsethief.

2. Salsa replaces my triangle and I keep the Spearfish as is. I really need a bike with a little more than 100mm travel, so I might buy the Horsethief anyway (was planning to buy something this year...). In which case I probably need to get rid of a bike. I just don't have the room and I really don't ride it enough to warrant keeping a rigid SS around. So If I sell one, in this scenario it probably ends up being the Scandal.

My question, what could I realistically expect to get for a 2008, rigid (On One Carbon fork), SS Scandal? Its got very modest components, BB7 brakes, cheap race face stem and Ritchey seat post. Cheap bars. Stans Arch wheelset.

Scandal, what's it worth?-scandal.jpg
    There's another possibility that I could sell my existing commuter and change the Scandal over to commuter duty (gears).... But I can probably get more for my Scandal than my 1974 Schwinn LeTour II.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't really know the answer to your question. But I do know that On Ones, being a little known brand to most people, don't have high resale value.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Just Ride!
    Swap the fork from your Spearfish and add a nice carbon seatpost to your Scandal and go ride. I can't even imagine getting rid of my Scandal. Will keep riding it until it dies, or I can't pedal anymore, whichever comes first. Roosted all over them FS kids in the rocks today.

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks. It will make a GREAT geared hardtail if Salsa doesn't warranty my rear triangle! Just was wondering if anyone had a ballpark on what I might ask for it... if I do sell it.

Tigers love pepper...
    Salsa warrantied my frame, but gave me the option for a discount on a new bike, which I took. So it looks like I'll be building up the Scandal as a geared hard tail and getting more use out of it! Best of both worlds, new bike and new life for the Scandal with better parts!

Just Ride!
    Good choice!

Tigers love pepper...
    Well, the Scandal has been given new life. Only things not swapped out were seatpost, water bottle cage and tires!

Scandal, what's it worth?-20150128_191832_resized.jpg

Scandal, what's it worth?-20150128_191951_resized.jpg

Scandal, what's it worth?-20150128_192036_resized.jpg

This bike has now been a geared/rigid, rigid/SS, and now a geared hardtail in the 5 years I've owned it.