mtbr member

Scandal vs Inbred

I am in the market for a new frame. I am looking at the Scandal, but am concerned that I will notice a huge difference in frame materials when I compared to my steel Inbred.

I currently have a SS rigid 29er Inbred and I love it. The Geo is great and handles my local trails like none of my other bikes. However I am looking for a lighter XCish frame for a few of the taller trails. It would be a 1x9 with suspension. I am not sure I would enjoy the Al frame on the longer rides, when compared to my other steel frames.

Has anyone ridden both frames and could give me a little insight on the two frames?

mtbr member

I've got a Scandal 29 and most of my other bikes are steel. I don't notice any significant difference in ride feel. I've got a Reba up front and 2.4 tubless tires so the ride is fairly plush given it's an XC hardtail.

On One Scandal 29er - a set on Flickr
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just went from an alum se stout on a carbon fork to a steel inbred with the same carbon fork.

It was a pretty big difference for me. Granted the on-one setup is about 5lbs lighter than my se stout, but it's WAY less harsh than a similar alum setup.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by biss-ness View Post
    I am in the market for a new frame. I am looking at the Scandal, but am concerned that I will notice a huge difference in frame materials when I compared to my steel Inbred.

I currently have a SS rigid 29er Inbred and I love it. The Geo is great and handles my local trails like none of my other bikes. However I am looking for a lighter XCish frame for a few of the taller trails. It would be a 1x9 with suspension. I am not sure I would enjoy the Al frame on the longer rides, when compared to my other steel frames.

Has anyone ridden both frames and could give me a little insight on the two frames?
    The Scandal is designed to have a similar feel to the Inbred by picking different tube diameters and wall thicknesses to suit the material. The main difference in the ride will be that the Scandal will be less "springy" than the steel Inbred. The Scandal's tapered head tube improves lateral stiffness and steering precision (more so with a tapered steerer fork).

The aluminum frame does drop a fair bit of weight.

Both models use the same geometry.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common