I'm gonna have to kill ya

Scandal 29er raw

Well after a few years on my 26er Scandal lefty build and having spent the last year rocking 29" and 26" Mountain Unicycles I have got a thing for the big wheel roll overabuility so fancied some bike 29er action to, so what to get, well that was obvious.

I was part way through cutting the hoses when I took the picture so excuse the long rear hose

The raw finish has to be seen in person it is like brushed stainless steel there is a slight patina around th big welds were I assume the heat from the welding alter the metals structure but that actually looks quite nic (and you can only see it up close). My 26er had some tough old black anodising and is immaculate after all this time so I am sure the Raw finish will last as well.

The Stans rims on hopes were a second had bargain and the Tubles Ready NN tyres held air with no sealant instantly, although bunged some in of course.

Need to weight it but it should be high 21 lbs compared to my 18.8lb 26er that I spent a lot more on I am please with that for a big wheeled bike (the forks seat and post are the main causes).

I even moved to an 18" from the 16" 26er and am please with that as I think it fits the larger wheels better and i was pushing the limits of a 16" frame with my post almost being at the max extension.

Only nipped up the road but will be doing a big old ride tomorrow (50+ miles hopefully)

These frames are awesome, great geo (no slack angled rubbish) light and good looking and would be good value at twice the price

Hope you like

Scandal 29er raw-20130327_172050.jpgScandal 29er raw-20130327_172737.jpgScandal 29er raw-20130327_172704.jpg
    Scandal 29er raw-20130327_172656.jpgScandal 29er raw-20130327_172018-1-.jpg

Just Ride!
    The brown and red accents compliment quite nicely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow, I can't find the words; it is beautiful, really really awesome build!
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

Thanks, I have tried to not go over board with the red, I have got some pedal end caps comping and debating some handlebar end caps as I lost the chepa brown plastic ones that came with my grips on the first ride. I am torn as to whether to put red Hope floating rotors on or not?

The shake down ride was 43 miles in 3hr30min which wasn't bad for a SS offroad, the NN tyres set up tubless were fantastic, at 22fr/24rr psi they were very grippy and forgiving, the snakeskin side walls not only protect from the horrid flint around here they add support to the tyre at low pressures, highly recommend these

Changed some of the damping and pressure of the +ve and -ve chambers of the fork when I got back as it was far too soft in real world use, the Reba's were however very plush and dealt with everything beautifully.

The ride felt great while slightly less twitchy than my 26er it was far from slow and just begged to go faster, the amount of geared riders I passed was quite amusing

Here she is on the trail and a bit muddy

Scandal 29er raw-29er-small.jpg

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Is that a 100mm Reba? I'm building a Scandal for my wife and am looking to use a 100mm Reba I have sitting aside. I had the very first generation ScandAL (back when they were actually Scandium and AL) and it handled poorly with the 100mm fork.

Sorry missed your post, yes it is an older Dual Air reba set at 100mm and it feels very balanced on the up as well as down. The Scandal is designed for a 100mm fork these days.

Saying that I have a 110mm lefty on my 26er and had no issue with the Geo (or none that noticed it at least)

On a side note I couldn't resist and fitted some 203/183mm Hope floating rotors and some Hope bar ends

About 100 miles on her now and apart from some creaky swappouts due to the bolts being slightly too long she has been fautless

Pictures don't do the red colour justice

Scandal 29er raw-20130406_143655.jpg

The Original Suspect
    I am building a Scandal SS as we speak and I was wondering if you use chain tensioners? Would you recommend one or two? Forgive the noob question, but this is my first SS. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Scandal 29er raw

I added On One chain tugs to my Lurcher and 29er Inbred when running SS for 2 reasons -- makes the rear wheel totally secure (geared or SS/bolt or QR) and it allows you to pull the wheel back in the dropouts for more rear tire clearance in the event of muddy conditions.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    I added On One chain tugs to my Lurcher and 29er Inbred when running SS for 2 reasons -- makes the rear wheel totally secure (geared or SS/bolt or QR) and it allows you to pull the wheel back in the dropouts for more rear tire clearance in the event of muddy conditions.
    Do you use two, one on each dropout or just on the drive side?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Scandal 29er raw

I was using one on each side -- even with a geared/QR setup in the slot dropouts of my 29er Inbred. Simple to set up.

The Original Suspect
    Thanks! I was thinking it made the most sense to have equal tension on both sides.

Just Ride!
    Be sure to enter the I9 Wheels Giveaway at Switchback Bikes! Those red and silver wheels would look the bomb on that frame, then you can give me your old set.