Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: scandal 29er

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    43

    scandal 29er

    Trying to talk my wife into a scandal frame for father's day
    anyone running the carbon race fork with it?

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,139
    Quote Originally Posted by jujuyak View Post
    Trying to talk my wife into a scandal frame for father's day
    anyone running the carbon race fork with it?
    The Carbon Race 29 and Scandal 29 frames use the same geometry.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    43
    So, got the frame and fork today. My first carbon steer tube. Any advice on
    assembly such as torque specs and whether or not to run any spacers above the stem( i didn't
    see any place on the On-One site for this). Any other advice will be appreciated.

    thanks

  4. #4
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by jujuyak View Post
    So, got the frame and fork today. My first carbon steer tube.
    So how is life with your Scandal, any comments and pictures to share?

  5. #5
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    Anyone have feedback for the durability of the black anodized finish?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,207
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Anyone have feedback for the durability of the black anodized finish?


    I'm a year into owning a black ano 19.5" Scandal 29er. So far the finish has been robust. No damage or unusual wear. It's on the XC side of things so I don't crash it like I do my all mtn rig, but for general riding the finish is great.

    On One Scandal 29er - a set on Flickr

    I'm considering selling the frame + fork to fund a new bike project, but it's also so versatile with the swapouts I'm thinking I may just keep it and move parts around between a couple frames.

    Nothing bad to say about the Scandal. I'd just like to try a slacker geo for my local terrain.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  7. #7
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

    I'm a year into owning a black ano 19.5" Scandal 29er. So far the finish has been robust. No damage or unusual wear. It's on the XC side of things so I don't crash it like I do my all mtn rig, but for general riding the finish is great.

    On One Scandal 29er - a set on Flickr

    I'm considering selling the frame + fork to fund a new bike project, but it's also so versatile with the swapouts I'm thinking I may just keep it and move parts around between a couple frames.

    Nothing bad to say about the Scandal. I'd just like to try a slacker geo for my local terrain.
    Thanks for the feedback and sharing the pictures. I am soooo close to purchasing one!

  8. #8
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my Scandal! I picked up a 16" black ano. Pics to follow!!

  9. #9
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    I have a 19.5 and fork on the way, but have no idea when I will have time to build it. But at least it will be mine!

  10. #10
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    Just sayin'
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  11. #11
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    Nice!! Mine came in last week!!

  12. #12
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    Soon to be completed for bikepacking, gravel grinding, and all around good adventure times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scandal 29er-2013-03-28_10-39-25_272sm.jpg  


  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,207
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Soon to be completed for bikepacking, gravel grinding, and all around good adventure times.
    Enjoy - what fork is that?
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  14. #14
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Enjoy - what fork is that?
    +1
    I have been waiting for On One to get more of the 29 race forks in stock. I was told early May.

  15. #15
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    It is the On-One Monocoque Tapered Carbon Fork. I will say that I wished the brake mount was post style like the On-One race model or the Niner fork that I have on my current bike. Plus the cable guide is on the front of the fork instead of the back, but all of these little annoyances are just something I will have to live with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scandal 29er-foootcf4709_p9.jpg  


  16. #16
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    I didn't even see this one! Are you also running the Smoothie Mixer head set? Impressions??

  17. #17
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    Yes, I will be flying the On-One banner for sure. Also purchased the Smoothie Mixer headset and tapered stem baseplate, an On-One Ultralight CNC stem, and On-One seatpost clamp. All of the On-One stuff is top notch equipment and certainly rivals more expensive brands on the market.

  18. #18
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    I have the seat post and clamp and plan on purchasing the headset, crown race and stem as well as the fork. Great value!!

  19. #19
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    Built and ready for the maiden voyage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scandal 29er-built.jpg  


  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    59
    How was the maiden voyage ??

    I've got one in bits I need to build up. Will wack an Alfine 8 on it and use for bikepacking duties. Just need to buy a fork, some tyres and some spokes. Almost there.....

  21. #21
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    Maiden voyages have been great! I have ridden a both a 20 and 30 mile gravel grinders this week and the results were better than expected. The 1/2 degree more slack seat tube angle over my previous bike is very noticeable and I now have the room to really power out some hills with the 180mm cranks that I am running. The lateral stiffness and power transfer of the frame are quite good, and I am also quite please with the On-One fork in comparison to my previous Niner brand.

    The only downsides that I can find are in the water bottle placements. First off, I had three mounts on my last bike and really relied on them for summer endurance rides. I placed a mount to the seat tube using Elite VIP mounts and though they were quite fiddly to install, shoul work fairly well and probably be a solution for the front of the downtube. I also find that there is no longer room for my Deuter frame triangle bag so I will have to find other ways to carry stuff.

    All in all, I find the Scandal to be a very good replacement for my 10 year old Supercal 29, and though it is not perfect, I am sure that we will log many smile envoking miles together.

  22. #22
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022

    Latest Updates

    I think I finally have my Scandal set up to my liking. I transferred my MegaExo 180mm cranks, Deore 1x9 drivetrain, and Easton XC Two wheelset from my previous frameset. I can also swap between the On One carbon fork or squishy in a flash.

    The latest additions include:
    • RockShox Sid RLT Pushloc
    • XT servo wave brakes
    • Fizik Cyrano carbon post
    • Fizik Gobi XM saddle
    • Time ATAC XS pedals


    scandal 29er-scandal_home.jpg

    Might still add some Clark's floating rotors, but not mandatory.

  23. #23
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    I think I finally have my Scandal set up to my liking. I transferred my MegaExo 180mm cranks, Deore 1x9 drivetrain, and Easton XC Two wheelset from my previous frameset. I can also swap between the On One carbon fork or squishy in a flash.

    The latest additions include:
    • RockShox Sid RLT Pushloc
    • XT servo wave brakes
    • Fizik Cyrano carbon post
    • Fizik Gobi XM saddle
    • Time ATAC XS pedals


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scandal_home.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	811765

    Might still add some Clark's floating rotors, but not mandatory.
    Very nice! Mine is coming along very slowly. Nothing new in a while...other priorities.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    735

    scandal 29er

    Very nice Scandal, Kustomz! What is the total weight? Does the SID help get the weight down?

  25. #25
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    Very nice Scandal, Kustomz! What is the total weight? Does the SID help get the weight down?
    Never weighed this bike, but is feels similar in weight to my previous Fisher, so I would say it is a robust 25 lbs. perhaps. I bought the SID for two reasons: 1) it comes in Diffusion Black which is similar to the Scandal frame finish, 2) it was $125 cheaper than all of the typical online retailers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •