Spice
    Dec 2008

Rigid 456 Carbon?

Anyone running a 456 carbon rigid? (or care to add their opinion on what fork?)

My situation- I bought the 456 frame as a sort of "spare" as my full sus isn't the most relaible of things, but now it's fixed will be transferring all the parts back to the full-sus.
    I've got spares of everything but forks and brakes, so was thinking of building the 456 as a light(ish) singlespeed rigid training bike untill I get rid of the full-sus.

Currently running 140mm revelations on it, with an Axle- Crown of around 520mm (approx 490 sagged).
    I would like to sharpen the steering up a fair bit- much more like a pure xc bike than a do it all hardtail- and will be putting narrower bars on it (640mm down from 710 - may even chop them down to 600!) but arn't really sure what's the limit of what will work without completely ruining things. This is where you come in! What fork would you go for and why?

Currently the fork options are....
    On-one carbon 29" - 470mm AC
    On-one carbon 26" - 440mm AC

Exotic carbon 29" - 465mm AC
    Exotic carbon 26": - 445mmAC (available with tapered steerer)
    - 425 mm AC

It won't be used for ploughing around trail centres as the FS can do that for now, just generall light xc riding and maybe some racing.

Any input is welcome!

Joe
    Note: I will most likely be keeping the 26" front wheel even if I go for a 29" fork. I can't really warrant any more money on it unless it's an amazing deal!
    Last edited by joehspicer@msn.com; 03-06-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Use this site http://bikegeo.muha.cc to calculate the geometry changes.

I'd keep an eye on the bb height as you lower the front end. If the seat tube angle gets steep, you could probably compensate with a setback or layback seatpost.

Sent using Tapatalk

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Thats very helpfull, thank you.
    BB height dosnt seem to be much of a problem with the shorter fork, considering what it will be used for

Looks like if I get the exotic carbon at 445mm I'll get a pretty racy front end, and I can apparently squeeze a 29 wheel in the front, just in case decide to.

Could also get a tapered steerer, although i'm not sure it would warrant the 30 higher price...

Dissolved member
    While at it, covert it to a 650b wheeler. The frame is a lot of fun with those.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lots of options... personally I'd go 69er, I really liked the one I used to have. As mentioned, you could go 650b on that frame, or even bee-9er (650b back, 29er front).

Post up the finished product!

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've ridden the standard 456 steel with the Exotic 29er fork it rides well with 26" and 29" wheels fitted, slacker in 29" ofcourse and higher front end, but can't beat rim width and volume of 26" still.

nice fork, comfortable compared to On One Steel which is a really short fork, I'm over the weight limit by well a lot but still been fine at trail centres and CHEAP mainly!!

Not ridden the On one Carbon fork.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Forgot to post some Pics.... I went for the exotic carbon forks, 46.5cm i believe. It feel feels slack!! Not the quickest handling bike through tight twisty bits, but rides very nicely and is very light! Feels perfect for general XC riding, I rode it in the Lake District a few weekends ago and it had no problems with bigger rocks etc. And a picture of it built up properly!

a tight kick sound
    Wait, what did you end up putting on there? Is that a 29er style fork or what? Sorry I'm late to the party. Am thinking of doing this myself. Thanks

***edit- never mind. I'm an idiot. I figured it out.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Yup, it is the 29er fork, I didnt want the front end too low. You can fit a also 29er wheel in the shorter exotic fork I believe.
    I had a 29er wheel in the front last weekend.... it was horrific.
    The front felt very high, and ridiculously slack. Steering was slow, and I had to really manouver the bike aroudn to get it roudn any corners. It did feel a bit smoother over bumps, but really not much. In short, there's no chance i'm ever putting a 29" wheel on for good!

a tight kick sound
    Cool, got it! 29er fork to get proper offset and 26" wheel to keep it realistic on the angles. What kind of weight were you looking at with the rigid ss version? With the 26" front wheel

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer@msn.com View Post
    Forgot to post some Pics.... I went for the exotic carbon forks, 46.5cm i believe. It feel feels slack!! Not the quickest handling bike through tight twisty bits, but rides very nicely and is very light! Feels perfect for general XC riding, I rode it in the Lake District a few weekends ago and it had no problems with bigger rocks etc.]
    Bump. Did you scale this setup? I'm planning doing something similar (rigid singlespeed 456 with 650b rims) and rough estimation on weight would be nice.Thanks in advance.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by unknwn View Post
    Bump. Did you scale this setup? I'm planning doing something similar (rigid singlespeed 456 with 650b rims) and rough estimation on weight would be nice.Thanks in advance.
    Afraid I didnt, I've stripped it down for now as I cant ride for a few months so cant exactly weight it either. Sub 24lbs by a few mates reckoning.
    You could save a ton from those wheels and tyres though.... my DH race wheelset is also my XC race wheelset, a tad under 2kg + tyres (a 2.35 high roller and nevegal most of the time). So you can take well over half a kilo off that weight with a decent wheel and tyre combo

mtbr member
    Jul 2010