mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Replacement bolts

Kind of an esoteric question, but...I have an inbred with swap-out dropouts, which use bolts that are basically oversized crank bolts to attach to the frame. As anyone who has replaced standard chainring bolts (ex: Universal Cycles -- Sugino Chainring Bolt Sets) knows, getting them to budge can be a pain.

On-one lists standard style bolts on their website, but does anyone know where I could find dual-hex bolts for the drop-outs (akin to these: Universal Cycles -- Truvativ/Sram Chainring Bolt Sets)? My LBS (which I did not buy the frame from) doesn't know of a source, but I figure someone out there has sourced these before; I don't want to be in the back of beyond and not able to replace my derailleur hanger (which is on the dropout) when a stick destroys my drivetrain.

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Kind of an esoteric question, but...I have an inbred with swap-out dropouts, which use bolts that are basically oversized crank bolts to attach to the frame. As anyone who has replaced standard chainring bolts (ex: Universal Cycles -- Sugino Chainring Bolt Sets) knows, getting them to budge can be a pain.

On-one lists standard style bolts on their website, but does anyone know where I could find dual-hex bolts for the drop-outs (akin to these: Universal Cycles -- Truvativ/Sram Chainring Bolt Sets)? My LBS (which I did not buy the frame from) doesn't know of a source, but I figure someone out there has sourced these before; I don't want to be in the back of beyond and not able to replace my derailleur hanger (which is on the dropout) when a stick destroys my drivetrain.

Thanks!
    You want the nut to be long enough to reach through the frame and at least a couple of mm into the Swapout. Most current chainring bolts are not long enough. The bolts for the carbon frames are longer than the bolts for the metal frames and not interchangeable.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Aren't chainring nuts a smaller diameter than the nuts for the swapouts? If not, I can just try to source some longer chainring nuts. I didn't have my frame along when I stopped by the shop, which probably contributed to the mechanic not knowing of a source... Thanks Shiggy!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Aren't chainring nuts a smaller diameter than the nuts for the swapouts? If not, I can just try to source some longer chainring nuts. I didn't have my frame along when I stopped by the shop, which probably contributed to the mechanic not knowing of a source... Thanks Shiggy!
    Same diameter. Tough to find the longer lengths.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ahh. Good to know. Thanks as always for sharing your plethora of knowledge!