mtbr member

Pompino vs Surly steel fork

I have a Surly Cross Check fork on my Pompino at the moment and it's a great fork, but I got it used and the previous owner had cut the steerer tube just long enough for me to put my stem on top of my headset. I have an extremely tall-angled stem, and i would like to raise my dropbars another inch or so still. so a need a new fork with more steerer tube.

The price difference between a new Cross Check fork and the Pompino fork is not very great. I mostly use this bike as a commuter with 32c road tires and full fenders, but I would like to put some gravel-grinder type tires on it, like 35c knobbies and ride some gravel roads, light singletrack, etc.

is there a major weight difference between the two forks? ride quality?

mtbr member
    If you want to keep your current fork this might work.

Amazon.com: Delta Alloy Bicycle Stem Raiser: Sports & Outdoors

I've used them with no issues in the past.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I try not to be too much of a snob, but there is no way I would put THAT on my bike. That's where I draw the line for ugly. Thanks for the suggestion though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The surly fork is slightly longer and slightly lighter. It's also lugged, which looks nicer and in theory rides smoother. But they're both chromo forks, so I doubt you'd notice much difference actually riding.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er