• 02-07-2013
    mack_turtle
    Pompino vs Surly steel fork
    I have a Surly Cross Check fork on my Pompino at the moment and it's a great fork, but I got it used and the previous owner had cut the steerer tube just long enough for me to put my stem on top of my headset. I have an extremely tall-angled stem, and i would like to raise my dropbars another inch or so still. so a need a new fork with more steerer tube.

The price difference between a new Cross Check fork and the Pompino fork is not very great. I mostly use this bike as a commuter with 32c road tires and full fenders, but I would like to put some gravel-grinder type tires on it, like 35c knobbies and ride some gravel roads, light singletrack, etc.

is there a major weight difference between the two forks? ride quality?
  • 02-07-2013
    vikb
    If you want to keep your current fork this might work.

Amazon.com: Delta Alloy Bicycle Stem Raiser: Sports & Outdoors

I've used them with no issues in the past.
  • 02-07-2013
    mack_turtle
    I try not to be too much of a snob, but there is no way I would put THAT on my bike. That's where I draw the line for ugly. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • 02-07-2013
    bolandjd
    The surly fork is slightly longer and slightly lighter. It's also lugged, which looks nicer and in theory rides smoother. But they're both chromo forks, so I doubt you'd notice much difference actually riding.