Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pompetamine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    I don't know that much about Cyclocross. But there is a lot of clearance for cross tires on the Pompetamine frame, and the brake installation was easy for me (CL on the front and 6-bolt on the back).

After riding this as a road bike with disc brakes, I don't ever want to go back to rim brakes.
    Cyclocross involves mild off road riding. So, the frame would need to handle some abuse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The frame and fork are very stout, so no concerns about it being able to take abuse. They are probably heavier than other frame sets you might look at for cross, but my guess is the lighter ones (of other brands) would cost a lot more.

A big consideration is your rear wheel and drivetrain. The Pompetamine has horizontal dropouts and no hanger, so it's for SS, fixed or internal geared hub.

You might look at the aluminum Planet X Uncle John frame, which is marketed as a cross set up. It has vertical dropouts, can run disc brakes and is lighter than the Pompetamine.

http://www.Planet-X-USA.com/product-p/frpxujv2.htm

There also is the Planet X Kaffenback, which is steel, has vertical dropouts and can run disc brakes.

http://www.Planet-X-USA.com/product-p/frpxkv2.htm

These are all available at the On One/Planet X/Titus outlet in Portland.

The guys up there are a great resource. Call them, and they can walk you through a lot of options. And their prices are always great.

mtbr member
    Hmm... the Planet X Kaffenback looks interesting. I like the idea of having swapouts...and I actually have a spare set of SS Swapouts from my Scandal build. I was really interested in the Pompetamine, because it has disc tabs, 135mm rear spacing and it's On-One.

mtbr member
    That is sweet, I love the crank!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Another option is to get the 700c wheelset with the 8-speed Alfine hub from On One and run that on the Pompetamine. Gives you a wide range of 8 gears. Sounds like that hub has a long record of reliability, and the wheelset is priced well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Found this googling for Bingo Bars... I do love that crank.

I would like to hear from anyone with experience on an Alfine hub.
    I've 2 Alfine hubs.

SG500 on inbred 456 with a ebb (prototype) that I've been using for since Nov2008, it's been basically been ignored with couple of jet washes and a couple of chain lubes and the bearings (They are cup and cone) are shot - I had the main ball race replaced (5) I'm still using it and waiting for it to seize but not so far, it still shifts perfectly. This has been my main go to bike as I only use my full suss when it's dry and I live in Ireland.

I've also a SG501 (uprated clutch or something) which i've been using on a mk1 pompino frame for just over 3 years, this one has been serviced each year and also still works perfectly.

I've been running the Pomp with a 44 front and 20 rear (34 to 106 gear inches) and found myself mainly in 6th for my commute, so I've just swopped the back to 18T so I'm in 5th (direct drive) a bit more, with a view to going faster overall. Commute is 30miles 2x a week which I'm planning to up this summer to 3x a week with a view to some sportives and an end to end probably next summer.

mk1 frame 135mm
    alfine drive chain and front brake (CL XT hub laced to Open Pro rim, rear open pro too)
    re-sprayed Singular Periguine forks (only 700c disc forks I could get cheap at the time that can take guards/racks)
    Vittoria Pave 28c which are on a par with the panaracer Pro evo2 slicks I had for speed and hopefully a bit more robust.
    Rest is all cheap bits and bobs along with the bingo bars which due to the oversize clamp area are a bit cramped but actually gives me an extra braking position so it's all good.

hxxp://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/maniac5/P1270154.jpg?t=1359301738

hxxp://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/maniac5/P1270155.jpg?t=1359301416

hxxp://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/maniac5/P1270153.jpg?t=1359300427[/url]

Not great photos as there was a 5 minute break in the bad weather only. Just found out I can no longer post links/images until I have 10 posts, replace the xx with tt

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Pompetamine

Did a crazy 40-mile loop on my fixed Pompetamine that included road and gravel riding, along with dirt and mud single track. Gravel the size of cobblestones, and mud so thick I had to pick it out from between the wheels and fenders to keep rolling. Only 1 pinch flat with 25C Gatorskins. A testament to the great Velocity a23 wheels built by Steve at SRLPE. What a fun and versatile bike...
    Pompetamine-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362596772.675992.jpg
    Pompetamine-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362596841.945409.jpg
    Pompetamine-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362596873.044566.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2