mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Pompetamine Black & White

Here´s my version of On One’s Pompetamine. Originally I planned to open this thread earlier, before actually starting to put the bike together. But since I had no time to sit down and write (two small kids in the house) I’ll show what has happened so far.
    There is also an earlier thread about Pompetamine from 2010 here Pompetamine build

I like threads with photos, so after a few words I'll try to use plenty of those.

Project started as I realized I had an extra pair of wheels, a seat post, mudguards, brake wires and some other small stuff from my earlier builds lying around my house. The wheel set was from my mountain bike, to which I had build a new one, so this pretty much decided what sort of frame I’d be able to use them on. I had three bikes already; Singular Swift for the woods, Charge Juicer for the roads and an old commuter hybrid which was only used to haul our kid trailer. I needed a bike that would serve me all year round. An inspiring bike for the ~17km daily way to work and back home. And first of all, a bike to which I could attach the kid trailer. Our carrier attaches to the rear axle, instead of chain stays. So I wasn’t able to use the Swift for this task (as it has a “cap” around the rear axle drop out). This would have been the case also with Singular Peregrine (otherwise a dream bike I’d say), so I had to turn my mind into something else. Other things I wanted were; steel, a possibility to go single speed, 135mm rear spacing as mentioned, disc brakes obviously, room for tyres with spikes, lowish price…

A happy surprise occurred in summer when a colleague from work said he might be interested to buy my old commuter. At the same time I realised that On One was selling Pompetamine frames for -50% prices. For some reason I had earlier passed this frame -perhaps for the reason that I thought that their size XL would be just a little too little. I didn’t want to build a bike that would have a huge stack of spacers under the stem, in other words I need a frame with a reasonably tall head tube. After numerous hours of speculation, mainly on night shifts at work, I came to the conclusion that Pompo would suit my needs just fine or even better. The head tube issue would be cleared with a steep rise stem and some funny bar choices.

So, confirm order- I pressed and the project started. Slight drawback came on the next day when On One informed that they had oversold their stock and asked if I wanted to wait for the next boat to arrive. I did. After 5 weeks the frame and fork came.

First thing I wanted to see was was the front wheel fitting. I had read that it might be quite snug with 6-bolt system, and it indeed was.

But there is a gap between the bolt and fork, small one, but still. So, no need for a new front wheel – which was nice since the whole project started from the wheel set…

At the same time postman was doing his best delivering other missing parts and I was able to star the build up.

Headset installation – a self-made tool works fine once again…

For the crown race installation You need a log, vacuum cleaner pipe and
    just three gentle punches.

Trailer attachment. Might get tricky as the chain is pulling the wheel in one direction and the trailer to the other… We’ll see how it goes.

This and that here and there, and it started to look like a bike.

White tyres –simply stupid…

At the moment On One Midge bar, trying to decide how to set them… I also have other option –Mungo- coming in just a few days we’ll see how it goes.

One thing about the fork. Here’s a picture with a 26” wheel installed. Tyre is Specialized Fast Track 2.1” (from my wife’s Mtb). I’d say this fork is a good option for anyone searching a rigid fork for 26” bike.

So. That's where I got so far. I'll wait for the other bar to arrive and continue as I decide which bar to use..
    Last edited by WtPooh; 10-06-2012 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice looking bike and its on my short list for a SSCX build

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hmm, at the moment I think it's a bit too white. Luckily I have black mudguards and some ugly red-and-yellow bar tape waiting. The Mungo bar is still on it's way, so final assembly is on pause.

I did make a short test ride in my nearby forest and I must say I liked how this bike feels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Phuh, finally some updates on the project.

I waited some time for the Mungo to arrive, but now it´s finally installed and in test. Here´s some pictures of the build as it is at the moment.

I´m still a bit confused with the brake lever positioning. I´ll give some time for this layout anyway. I noticed that, as the levers are in this position, it might be better to switch their places. The lever design might work better if those slight curves, pointing up at the moment, would be facing down. We´ll see if I try that out. Color of the bar tape is somewhat irritating, but I figured that I needed to brake the white-black theme somehow.

Installing those mudguards was a pain in the arse. And as I assumed they won´t have enough space for winter tyres. So, I´m expecting to strip them off within a month or so… Still as it is mainly raining at the moment, it was worth the job.

Those bar end lights seem nice. Not too much riding light of course, but as an attention grabbers to others in traffic they seem sweet. They include blinkers also.

The seat post bag seems wonderful. Volume is approx. 6 liters and that´s just enough to carry lunch and some small items to work. A mirror is also on test use. So far I´m not too impressed, but we´ll see…

I´ll have to come up with some sort of solution with the rear mudguard for the winter time also. As I don´t want the kid carrier to be covered with dirt each time I use it. At the moment I guess I might get some short guard (front guard) with a quick release system so that it only covers a small but necessary amount of the wheel spray. Any ideas are welcome.

So, this is how it came up. Riding it feels just good. Riding position is natural, handling feels neutral and easy. Steering is quick, but that is not a surprise with this bar/stem combo. And It´s completely silent.
    I guess in the name of honesty I must admit that the frame should be just a little bit bigger. I knew I´d be having a good amount of seat post visible and those spacers under the stem. Anyway, I was able to build this bike with a really reasonable price, so I should not complain too much, and it rides nicely, so that´s the most important thing anyway.

-h

jrm
    mtbr member

Like it

Have you thought more about IGH options? Im building a pompino and thinking of installing a IGH. I like the SA 2 spd "kick back" hub b/c it doesnt use a shifter so it installs clean. Ive been using various chainring-cog combos on sheldon browns gear calculator and looking like i can get a nice versatile high gear and a pretty low climbing gear combo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am just building a large Pompetamine. Wondering if I should have gotten an XL. I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam. My mt bikes are 20" frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Building this as a singlespeed was clear for me from the start. I'm living in an area that is completely flat. I started riding ss just little over a year ago with my mtb and still loving the whole thing. Especially winter commuting is so trouble free without gears and cables that I really don't miss the old times.
    BUT the mixed usage between hauling the kid carrier and speeding to work is something that might be a place for something like the SA you mentioned. I tested one bike with Sram Automatix last fall and was quite impressed. But there is the brake issue. Is there a 2speed hub with disc brake option available?

About the sizing; I'm 187cm tall with an inseam of approx. 91-92cm. I guess I have a bit longer legs than "normal" in my height.
    So what I really might need is a frame with long seat tube-shortish top tube. Something like the Charge Plug, or similar. But as said, this is not too big of an issue. My other bikes are Singular Swift and Charge Juicer, both in size L.
    If On One would make an XXL size Pompetamine, I would have bought that...

jrm
    mtbr member

2 spd

This summer i converted my geared CX bike to SS and loved it. I ran a 65 gear-inch drivetrain which meant being on the verge of spinning out on the flats while still being able to climb low to moderate grades or varying distances. If i set up the high gear around 65 to 68 the low gear will be around 42 to 45 gear inches which might allow me to actually sit down on some climbs. We'll see though. It might suck and go down as an experiment but thats the fun of it all.

Sizing wise, im 5' 8.5" and got a large for the 555cm ETT. Even this is a tad on the short side so im going to need to try some variations in order to use a freegle bar and get my hands as close as i can over the axle of the front wheel without messing up the handling. If i have to i can change the levers and use a midge bar i have or buy another cowbell. Ill post some pics once i get it done.

mtbr member
    Wow that bolt clearance on the fork is tight. Busy building up a pompetamine myself, I wonder if one can maybe use lower profile screws to make the gap a bit bigger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Winter setup, lousy pictures, who cares.