Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Planet X - Dirty Harry

Not sure what On-One's plan is with their brands, but figured this was probably the best place to post this...Planet X - Dirty Harry (Large)

Just built her up so can't comment on the ride yet. That will come. As for the build, she went together pretty darn well for a smaller on-line only brand. The matte dark gray finish is good, BB and headset went in smooth. I built it with a combination of parts lying around and some new stuff since I never owned a 29er before. My other XC bike has 170mm of travel The only real issue, and it was minor, was some of the cable bosses didn't fit housing ends well. I had to dremel the FD boss on the seatube to fit the housing in properly. Minor, since it only took a couple minutes to resolve and. I really like the carbon look without graphics although I was torn with their latest paint jobs looking pretty darn pimp. The sticker kit was black, which was pretty much impossible to see any detail out of. You couldn't read the headbadge when I stuck it on. I decided that just the "X", all alone on the headtube, was tasteful in lieu of a nicer headbadge.

As you can tell, I like all my bikes setup with shorter stems and adjustable seatposts and going with the large, a straight post, and a 70mm stem makes this bike feel just right for my 5'10" build...at least in the quick test lap around the house Fork is 110mm Reba.

Weighed the frame at 1170g.

N2B
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any updates ?! Is it comfort so you Can use it as a 24h race bike or is it so stiff that its only a short xc race bike ?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by N2B View Post
    Any updates ?! Is it comfort so you Can use it as a 24h race bike or is it so stiff that its only a short xc race bike ?!
    I’m probably not the right person to answer this question for you as I don’t do a ton of racing. I have done 24 hours of Moab a few times, but just as a relay, and I would ride this bike in that. For background, I’m a guy who has diverged from XC toward big bikes and air time, but find myself doing more XC rides lately due to convenience. I’m not overly hard on bikes, but I am constantly looking for features to pump and pop off of, on most any trail. I’ve been known to bunny hop my road bike over large grates in the road just for fun. I like to go fast, as much as possible, but I never take my riding too serious to play a little along the way. Anyways, here’s my update on the bike…

This frame is STIFF…both side to side and end to end. I feel ZERO flex at my 150lb weight. That said, in my opinion, it doesn’t feel as harsh as your typical aluminum HT 29er and is much smoother than any 26” HT I’ve ever ridden. It’s not like you have a 10mm of travel out back, at all. I’d say it feels similar to the Highball C I rode in Bootleg this fall. Maybe even a touch stiffer, but that could be the stronger rear wheel. All power goes into turning the wheels. I would definitely use it for XC races under 3 hrs…and could see using it for some laps in a 24 hr race. Only YOU can answer for yourself if your back is up to that much abuse. I still think a super short travel bike is ideal for those 24 hr races, just because you must meter your output throughout the race. You end up fully sitting where you otherwise would unweight from the saddle as you hit objects, given a shorter length race.

Overall, I really like the geometry. Chainstays are shorter than many bikes (I measure at <17.3”), BB is low 12’s depending on tires, and weight is spot on. Tons of tire clearance. I think I could fit a true 2.5. I will say that there are a couple switchbacks which I’ve never had an issue making until I got this bike. I attribute it to the combination of long TT and slackish HA making for a 45” wheelbase with my 110mm fork. A 24” TT would probably fit me a touch better, but then again, I bet I get those crazy tight corners dialed in a couple more rides. The longer geo makes the bike very fast when descending and I can really whip it around downhill corners. It tracks well! I especially like the ~69.5deg HA with the 110mm fork when descending. That is ~1/2 deg slacker than the Highball, which is plus, but also why I think I would have been happy with a slightly shorter TT. The position feels good (really good for seated climbing and descending in a good attack position), but I wouldn’t mind lowering my grips 10-20mm more and I might try a 50-60mm stem, but that is personal fit for my style of riding. Only issue with lowering the bars any more is that if the bike was crashed, or even just fell over, the controls would hit the top tube. I see a lot of people setting up their bikes this way lately and wonder if they just don’t worry about that, or don’t think of it. If it was aluminum, I probably wouldn’t think of it being an issue. Always thought that 29ers should have a well curved down TT to make room for lower bars.

The finish on the frame is doing good with scuff marks cleaning up well. Wipe it down and it looks new. I do wish they would have put a tiny aluminum chainstay protector to save the frame in the event of chainsuck. Minor, and nothing that can’t be protected with a bit of clear protective tape. Stickers…come on Planet X…you are only hurting yourself with those stickers. Get someone to make a more refined looking main Planet X logo and sticker pack. I’ve gotten stickers with other frames such as Transition and they were great so it can be done.

Overall, this is a great frame at a great price if you want a fast, no-nonsense HT. It’s light, stiff, fast, and looks beautiful. The quality is really good and I would definitely buy this over the no name Carbon frames being sold for a couple hundred less. Planet X stands behind their product and when you call with a question, you get a real person who knows and loves bikes just as much as you do.

N2B
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the review. Im gonna buy one as my winther bike. Id have 2010 flash carbon as my race bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    After a year deliberating, I finally pulled the trigger and got one of the new (painted) frames.
    I'd been after something lighter than my current carbon frame (first gen Orbea Alma 29er), with shorter chainstays, steep HTA and short (tapered) headtube so that I could get my handlebars low (below saddle height) when running the forks at 100mm. I'd been running 80mm forks on my 29ers to quicken up the steering, but wanted the extra travel for rough races.

Most of the components were transfered over from my Orbea:

Frame: Dirty Harry (med)
    Fork: RockShox SID XX TA
    Brakes: Avid Elixir CR Mag
    Rear Mech: Sram X0 (9 speed)
    Front Mech: Sram XX
    Shifters: Grip Shift X0 (9 speed)
    Crank: Rotor XC2 W/ Q rings
    Bottom bracket: Chris King
    Chain: KMC 10SL
    Pedals: Speedplay Frog Stainless
    Saddle: Merek Carbon
    Seat post: Merek Carbon
    Bars: Ritchey WCS 10D
    Stem: Easton EA70 -20deg 80mm
    Grips: Roadie Bar Tape
    Rims: Stans 355
    Hubs: Chris King ISO
    Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snakeskin

Not sure of the weight yet, I think around 10Kg. It feels light anyway.

Compared to the Orbea, the shorter chainstays definitely help the rear wheel hook up on steep climbs. Also the Steering is as nimble (twitchy) as I wanted with the 100mm fork (I ride mostly tight & twisty trails). I think it will be a great race bike (have already got a few PBs on Strava).

Don't flame me for the carbon saddle. I run these on all my bikes and have learned to love them, and actually find it more comfortable on hot humid days in Brisbane. I've also ridden on it through several marathons.

Issues I have with the frame would be the lack of a chainsuck protector on the chainstay. I'd also have liked internal cable routing with a continous cable outer. I'm surprised that a frame designed in the UK doesn't have continuous cable outers (unlike my Scandal). I compensated for this by using Transfil Flying snake cables which use a full length tube between the inner and outer cables to keep the system sealed from the elements (like Gore cables). Would have been nice to see a BB92 on this frame also, though I was happy to not have to replace my chainset and BB

Will post up again in a month or 2 when I've spent a bit more time on the frame.
    Planet X Dirty Harry, SID XX, Chris King, Rotor 3D, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow, very nice build! Enjoy your ride.
    Did you measure the weight of the frame?
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    On my basic kitchen scales it came in at about 1220g. Wasn't too happy with that. I expect the paint added that much.

Overall weight is 9.75kg (weighed on a luggage scale). From my previous build, I changed the frame and the forks (2009 Reba Team to SID XX) which saved me about 1/2 Kg. Very happy to get in under the 10 kg mark.
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

Just Ride!
    What headset standard is required for this frame and is it supplied?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The headset isn't included.
    Planet X sell this one:
    FSA Orbit C-40 No.42 ACB Tapered Headset

I fitted a Cane Creek 110 headset, but it took me a while to work out what size top bearing I needed, as there seems to be 2 types of IS42 bearings - one Cane Creek standard, and one Campagnolo standard. I went for the Campagnolo standard one which worked.

This is what I got:
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 110-Series IS42 Upper Cup
    &
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 110-Series IS52 1.5" Lower Assembly

But I was keen to get a good quality headset, and since Chris king don't make them in this size, I went for the 110.
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

Just Ride!
    Good info, one step closer!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    One note: I did end up needing 2 headset washers between the top bearing and top cap. Before I added those, tightening the headset would compress everything onto the headtube and create friction.

This is my upper headset...
    Cane Creek 40 IS42/28.6 Tall Cover Top Headset Black

42mm OD bearing is the critical number for the upper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ordered a Pink one!

xcbarney, did you have to prep the frame at all?
    and it looks like the decals are now under the clearcoat?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    One note: I did end up needing 2 headset washers between the top bearing and top cap. Before I added those, tightening the headset would compress everything onto the headtube and create friction.

This is my upper headset...
    Cane Creek 40 IS42/28.6 Tall Cover Top Headset Black

42mm OD bearing is the critical number for the upper.
    i ordered a pink one to,
    on one sent me a washer pack for the headset/head tube problem including a 1.5 washer, any ideas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy1 View Post
    i ordered a pink one to,
    on one sent me a washer pack for the headset/head tube problem including a 1.5 washer, any ideas?
    Only thought on the 1.5 washer would be that it just came in the stock pack they had...That's cool that they shipped that pack to you.

BTW - I now run a 60mm stem upside down at an 8 deg angle and really like the lower and shorter stem with longer TT. Come on On-One, build me this same frame with geo closer to a Canfield Yelli. No one makes a carbon frame like that, so the first company to make it will do really well and it will fit well with your 456 as a 29er version.

mtbr member
    Come on On-One, build me this same frame with geo closer to a Canfield Yelli. No one makes a carbon frame like that, so the first company to make it will do really well and it will fit well with your 456 as a 29er version.
    Since ON-ONE is positioned as the more "all mountain/freeride" brand and Planet X is more race focused, the Lurcher should have been designed with Geo similar to the Yelli only in carbon. It would have captured a unique market segment with a slack and low all mountain HT geo in a carbon frame. Instead the Lurcher has the same basic geo as the Dirty Harry with an extra 400 grams of weight and a droopy down tube. I don't understand why anyone would pick a Lurcher over a Dirty Harry unless they really needed a shorter head tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Re: Planet X - Dirty Harry

My understanding is that the Lurcher has more rear end compliance...the Dirty Harry is ridged. I actually think it's more modern geo than the Lurcher. I don't care what brand they use, but it seems like a way to stand out as a super relevant brand would be to bring a carbon AM 29er to market. Lower TT and short chainstays with a 1-2° slacker HA for 120 forks at least. My bike is ~69.5 w/110 fork.

mtbr member
    Lower TT and short chainstays with a 1-2° slacker HA for 120 forks at least. My bike is ~69.5 w/110 fork.
    Uhuh...

Seen the Titus Fireline Evo 29er?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    Uhuh...

Seen the Titus Fireline Evo 29er?
    Getting close...still a pound more weight than if it were carbon, but I might have bought it if it was available when buying the Dirty Harry. Is there a full geo chart anywhere? Wish the chainstays were a bit shorter, but love the HA. Keep tempting me please

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I can't find the BB drop for the Dirty Harry. Anyone knows how many mm is the BB drop? (I could find the information for Scandal 29er, Inbred 29er and Lurcher, these have a 58mm drop but Dirty Harry has slighly dirrefent geometry)
    ___

mtbr member
    53mm drop static 100mm fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks a lot!
    ___

mtbr member
    I have one coming next week. I hooked up with Team Planet X USA Team Planet X USA Going to campaign it and my carbon Titus Rockstar next year. Hope to get the Dirty Harry built up for my last race of the year, The TBF 50 miler on October 20.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Has anyone been able to find these headset washers / shims anywhere else?
    I emailed Planet X a few days ago but haven't had a reply.

I've had an issue with my headset coming loose on every ride, and then at the weekend it started binding before I could get it tight enough, so I'm really hoping these washers will fix the problem.
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

mtbr member
    I picked some up from Universal Cycles just to make sure I had some for the build.
    Universal Cycles -- FSA Microspacer Headset Spacer Kit

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Craig
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast