Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Parkwood

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    BB-height measured with my set up: 327mm / 12.8740157" (unsagged RS Revelation 140mm, Butcher SX on ZTR Crest/Arch)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ok so it appears the larges aren't coming in until February. Blue balls indeed.

So current owners? How are they riding? Any regrets or info you'd share?

Cracker
    Quote Originally Posted by sternomac View Post
    Ok so it appears the larges aren't coming in until February. Blue balls indeed.

So current owners? How are they riding? Any regrets or info you'd share?
    I have a large green Parkwood I am considering selling only ridden about 2 months
    It might get a little steep from here

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackerasscracker View Post
    I have a large green Parkwood I am considering selling only ridden about 2 months
    Reason for selling so soon?

I would definitely be interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Parkwood rides great. I use it for winter training. efficient going up, fast going down.

One thing I have to get used to though is that it is a hardtail: as the fork compresses, the head angle steepens. Something that one is not accostumed to riding full sus. I run it with 140mm Revs. I run it pretty hard, so the front stays as high as possible.

Another thing: I am 5-8 on a medium frame. with the long tt wheelies are kind of pita (pain in the a..). But the long wheelbase is very stable at high speeds.

All in all it is a good bike with great value for the price. When you love going fast down the hill, you can't go wrong with this rig.

The only thing I would wish if I had the choice: getting the same bike made of steel. Might be more comfy...

mtbr member
    Any 5'9" tall guys on Parkwoods - did you go for Small or Medium frame size? I'm sort of in between it seems. I'd LOVE the Seat tube length of the Small and the TT length of the Medium.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Any 5'9" tall guys on Parkwoods - did you go for Small or Medium frame size? I'm sort of in between it seems. I'd LOVE the Seat tube length of the Small and the TT length of the Medium.....
    I am 5'8" and riding the medium. As 5'9" I would most definetly go for the medium!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Graphics removable?

I realy like this frame but the stickers on it dont do it for me. I was wondering if they can be removed or are they under some sort of clear coat?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    can't be removed. Clearcoated frame. Since the frame is quite cheap, I will have mine powdercoated with a new color and will put some OnOne stickers on it. This will definetly look better and will cost me only $90. All worth the money

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rainozeros View Post
    can't be removed. Clearcoated frame. Since the frame is quite cheap, I will have mine powdercoated with a new color and will put some OnOne stickers on it. This will definetly look better and will cost me only $90. All worth the money
    Thanx! I hope you will share the result with us

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Finally got around to taking some pictures of my build. I picked up the frame from thecrackerasscracker (thanks dude) instead of spending 650 on a Yelli that I wouldn't have been able to swap my dropper post over to from my previous bike.

All in all it's almost identical to my custom aluminum hardtail I had built. I put the frames on each other laying on the ground and it was almost a perfect match.

So far I'm loving the bike. I plan on swapping out the rear tire for something beefier but I'm in no rush. Here are some pics. Sorry for the cell quality. It was this morning and things were cold and groggy.

Parkwood-2015-01-01-08.36.47.jpg

Parkwood-2015-01-01-08.37.08.jpg

If you have any questions about sizing or build, I'm happy to elaborate.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Parkwood

Deleted
    Last edited by fracaxis; 01-26-2015 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I may be getting this frame, i found it for cheap. I am new to building my own bike this will be my first time. Does anyone have any recommendations on a BB and Crankset?(BB are a little Confusing dont want to get the wrong one) Im hoping to do a 1x10 or 2x10.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It's a standard threaded bottom bracket. Raceface or Shimano will work among others I'm sure. I have a Raceface Turbine in mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It's a standard threaded bottom bracket. Raceface or Shimano will work among others I'm sure. I have a Raceface Turbine in mine.
    Awesome thanks!

mtbr member
    Finally got around to taking some pictures of my build. I picked up the frame from thecrackerasscracker (thanks dude) instead of spending 650 on a Yelli that I wouldn't have been able to swap my dropper post over to from my previous bike.

All in all it's almost identical to my custom aluminum hardtail I had built. I put the frames on each other laying on the ground and it was almost a perfect match.

So far I'm loving the bike. I plan on swapping out the rear tire for something beefier but I'm in no rush. Here are some pics. Sorry for the cell quality. It was this morning and things were cold and groggy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-01 08.36.47.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	951876

Name:	2015-01-01 08.37.08.jpg 
Views:	764 
Size:	336.5 KB 
ID:	951877

If you have any questions about sizing or build, I'm happy to elaborate.
    How big of a rear tire do you think you can fit in there? And on what rims??

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have the Arch Ex with a 2.2 on there right now. Just got new wheels for my race bike so I'm going to switch some tires around and put an Ardent 2.4 on the rear. If you look earlier in the thread the fella that sold me the frame at that tire in the back and it fit but was close.

B.Ike
    ^^I have an ardent on the rear. I buzz in certain conditions, but not enough to bother me.

mtbr member
    Any size reccomendations for 170 cm (5'7")?

For short stem (40 mm) Medium looks appealing, but I'm curious about some real-life opinion.
    Unofficial Balfa Cycles website and forum
    Ibis Mojo HD / Giant Trance X / GT Karakoram

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm on a large. I'm 6'2''. I run it with a 50mm stem. I've found, in all my research looking for bikes, size recommendations are just never going to help. If you can, throw a leg over one if someone has it in your area.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately in my area (Poland in general) One One is quite exotic brand

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am justv slightly taller - 172 - and I ride a Medium. Fits perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooyek View Post
    Unfortunately in my area (Poland in general) One One is quite exotic brand
    Wooyek! Hello my Balfa brethren!!!

mtbr member
    Sternomac,

Photos of your large frame confirm my doubts about this frame's fit for me at 6'2" with long arms- reach is too short and stack is too tall. Do you feel very upright when seated? I rode a large Yelli (1/2" longer reach)with 50mm stem and it was just too short in reach.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by carpio77b View Post
    Sternomac,

Photos of your large frame confirm my doubts about this frame's fit for me at 6'2" with long arms- reach is too short and stack is too tall. Do you feel very upright when seated? I rode a large Yelli (1/2" longer reach)with 50mm stem and it was just too short in reach.
    I haven't really paid attention to it. I feel good on the bike as I have it set up.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Parkwood

I used to own a Large Parkwood. I'm 6'4" and ran it with a 65mm stem. That felt pretty dialed to me. I did have the chance to trade out with a xl yelli on numerous rides. The XL yelli fit me better with about 1/2 " more TT. That's how it felt anyway. I'd say the Large Parkwood rides somewhere between a l/xl Yelli.

I'm on an xl banshee paradox with a 50mm stem now and love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis View Post
    I'm on an xl banshee paradox with a 50mm stem now and love it.
    In your opinion, is it a better frame than Parkwood, or did you just change it because of the size?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Parkwood

They are at different price points so take that into account. The Parkwood is a great bike for the money. I prefer a longer TT/ shorter stem setup. Had the Parkwood fit me better I would still be on it now. To be fair the difference is subtle.

The Paradox weighs a little more but gains in stiffness and hopefully strength. I do take this bike out on light freeride trails from time to time so I want something that will hold up long term. That being said I did prefer the sloped TT of the Parkwood to the rather high TT if the Paradox. The stand over was better for sketchy dismounts.

The bottom line for me was fit.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Parkwood

The Parkwood certainly didn't feel like it it lacked strength but the Paradox seems to be on another level

WNC Native
    Anyone have a small one of these built up that they could measure actual standover on for me?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

WNC Native
    Anyone have a Cane Creek headset in one of these? Trying to make sure I order the right thing, lol.

Integrated 42mm top and 52mm bottom?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Do the 2015 frames accomodate a water bottle ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Mine does. It's a large. Just has one set tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC Native
    Just got a small for my wife and it has one also.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Has anyone tried fitting a Geax Goma 2.4 on a wider rim in the back of the Parkwood?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Heading to Granby

Parkwood-11535908_992272174137990_7348311202314325662_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtFitz View Post

Name:	11535908_992272174137990_7348311202314325662_n.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	997800
    Nice. That at 120mm?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtFitz View Post

Name:	11535908_992272174137990_7348311202314325662_n.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	997800
    Very Nice !
    Pulled the trigger on a frame today.
    Going to be running a Fox 34 140mm on mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It is 140 mm but think its dropped to 110 in the picture with TALAS since the last ride ended with a long climb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    How's it feel with 140? Contemplating upping from 120.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    140 is just right. I think anything more and it might have an issue climbing since I already have to shift forward. Descending on the other hand is pretty perfect.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Anyone have a Cane Creek headset in one of these? Trying to make sure I order the right thing, lol.

Integrated 42mm top and 52mm bottom?
    Nitrous Junky, did you ever find out if the integrated CC 42mm-52mm will work?

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    Nitrous Junky, did you ever find out if the integrated CC 42mm-52mm will work?
    Best I could find out from researching.....Yes should fit just fine. I ended up getting the FSA for my wife's Parkwood. I may now be ordering a Parkwood for myself in the next couple days, if I do I'll get the CC to try out.

mtbr member
    Can anyone give a general review on the Parkwood Frame or Pre-Build SRAM X5 Mountain Bike @ $961.32 (ex VAT) ? Is there any better bike in similar price range? slack trail geometry 29'er Hardtail?

Has anyone in the United State Ordered from On-One Mountain Bikes ? How much are the custom tax charges etc...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NEET View Post
    Can anyone give a general review on the Parkwood Frame or Pre-Build SRAM X5 Mountain Bike @ $961.32 (ex VAT) ? Is there any better bike in similar price range? slack trail geometry 29'er Hardtail?

Has anyone in the United State Ordered from On-One Mountain Bikes ? How much are the custom tax charges etc...

Thanks.
    I dont know about it being better, but a good alternative in the same price range would be the Dartmoor Primal 29 frame.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by NEET View Post
    Has anyone in the United State Ordered from On-One Mountain Bikes ? How much are the custom tax charges etc...Thanks.
    Just ordered a frame for my wife. $80 DHL Air shipping and fees to the US. Ordered the frame on a Thursday evening and it was delivered the following Monday morning.

mtbr member
    what's the largest 1x NW chainring that you can use in a parkwood while maintaining correct chainline?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Just ordered a frame for my wife. $80 DHL Air shipping and fees to the US. Ordered the frame on a Thursday evening and it was delivered the following Monday morning.
    @nitrousjunky Thanks, Did you order from the planet x usa site or the U.K? I notice the frame from US site is $10 more than the U.K site. I'm not sure if there is any differences.

Anyway, Being a total Newbie, I need some help selecting capable drivetrain. This would be my first time building a bike. I would like to build a budget one. would a budget of $240-260 be enough for my drivetrain w/o Brakes, can I go cheaper? Drivetrain parts will be purchase @ chainreactioncycles. I'm not sure what front Derailleur is capable w/ the Parkwood along w/ BB, Threaded? PressFit? Is it better to go w/ Long Cage or Medium Cage Rear Derailleur. Being in the USA, I don't want to take the chance of ordering the wrong parts from chainreactioncycles. anyone willing to go the extra mile of selecting the Drivetrain @ chainreactioncycles is much appreciated. Many Thanks !
    Last edited by NEET; 07-13-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Rocks belong
    Really unfortunate the Parkwood isn't 12x142 rear :-/
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '15 Surly Instigator 650b & 26+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

Pirate!!!
    My son and I just put the final touches on his new Parkwood.. He's super stoked!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parkwood-image.jpg  

Parkwood-image.jpg  

Parkwood-image.jpg  

Parkwood-image.jpg  

Parkwood-image.jpg  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast