Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Ordering from On-One UK to the U.S.?

I've tried searching on both search engines and on mtbr and I can't seem to find a definite answer. I have put together a bike package through On-One UK of stuff that either Titus US doesn't have in stock or is available for a decent amount cheaper through the UK site. My questions is, for those that have ordered from the UK site and had it shipped to a U.S. address (especially large items like frames or full bikes), were you hit with any extra fees? Customs charges, extra taxes, VAT, etc.? The UK site also says that they charge based on pounds stearling and it is up to the credit card company to adjust the price based on the exchange rate, so the price they show in US Dollars might not be 100% accurate. Were there any suprises because of that once the credit card statement was received.

I'm about to pull the trigger, but I don't want to get any financial suprises. Thank you!

I always bleed like this.
    I almost did the same and here is what I found out.
    FedX and UPS have their own customs companies that subcontract for the US Government.
    What this means is that everything or most everything they ship in goes through their customs company so they make a profit by charging due's on everything they can. You will get a bill 30-90 days after you get the item from FedX or UPs.
    Now this is what I read. I am sure other people have other experiences. I know when I bought my first sliding dropout Inbred back in the day USPS charged me about $90.
    I do not know who they ship with though. I think the name listed on the UK site is the local shipper and I did not see anything else. In the end I bought the frame from the Titus site and avoided the whole thing. Applesauce Green is so much nicer in person and the 19.5" fit really well on my first ride, better than it should have for not being dialed in.
    The combos are really nice though and if the Titus option had not been there with a nice $90 off the frame I bought I would have gone with the overseas shipping and paid the fee's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I read a bunch of that stuff too but when I ordered my frame, seatpost, headset, and collar last year I did not get charged anything more than the $60 shipping shown to me in the shopping cart. The Shipping company used was TNT international and the frame came to me through the post office.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm in Canada and have ordered two frames plus extras in the last month.
    I've received the one so far no problems. Was shipped TNT and was delivered by the post office. The post office nailed me for Canadian sales taxes but no other charges.
    There are some amazing deals right now on the UK site - couldn't resist ordering another frame even though I haven't built the first yet. Kick myself for not getting some other bits and pieces at the same time, didn't notice the prices on headsets and other stuff.
    The US site's shipping prices to Canada are nuts - much cheaper to order from the UK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter136 View Post
    My questions is, for those that have ordered from the UK site and had it shipped to a U.S. address (especially large items like frames or full bikes), were you hit with any extra fees? Customs charges, extra taxes, VAT, etc.? !
    I ordered a 456SS frame from On-One UK last winter and it was a holiday week or something of that sort that it missed shipment via their normal guys, my frame was shipped via FedEX or UPS (I don't recall which one), but a week after delivery in the USA, I received a bill to pay $70 in customs/duties, on a $299 frame.

I've ordered frames before from CRC and wheelsets from wiggle.co.uk and I've never paid any extra fees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So, as long as they ship TNT, then everything should be good? It's if they have to ship FedEx or UPS that I would get boned?

mtbr member
    I just ordered some stuff direct from On-one (456Evo, wheels, misc. components) and was charged $50 shipping from TNT. Once it arrived at my local post office, I had to pay another $60 customs fee. Pretty ridiculous, but since the order from On-One was big enough, I didn't feel too bad. It would really be a drag if you ordered a $250 frame and got stuck paying ~$50 for customs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Customs fee or local taxes?
    Canadian post office charges $5 admin fee plus Canadian taxes so the more expensive the order, the more you pay. I paid $57 at the post office for my shipment. Not sure how the US post office works.

mtbr member
    My receipt was marked "Customs", so I assume that's what it was. Also, I'm pretty sure (at least in Minnesota) we don't pay taxes on anything purchased outside the state.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Unreal just told me that On One were only dealing with customers via the internet now and that they had their own warehouse in Oregon. For what it is worth!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I believe you are talking about the Titus US store. They currently don't have a full stock of everything that the UK store has.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Need one more post to be able to do links....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yay, I can now link...

I think you are talking about the Titus US store

mtbr member
    Ok, so this is weird...I ordered a Whippet carbon frame from on one about 2 weeks ago, it arrived to the address and I didn't get charged anything...I just paid $470 more or less for the frame shipped. I think it's a very good price, considering chinese frames are probably about $380, but shipping is sometimes up to $90 bucks! :s

Anyways, I haven't gotten a request to pay more money or something like that....Mine was shipped to San Diego if anybody is wondering. Weird...

Wouldn't want to get a money request from customs to pay $50 bucks really. I don't believe it's a $550 frame IMO.
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This thread is pretty much exactly what I saw when I was researching to buy my own frame. Some people got charged and some people did not. Just when you think you have it figured out what causes the charge someone says they did not get charged. I was lucky and they did not charge me. I think you just have to gamble though.

mtbr member
    Dang this is good to know, because I was planning on buyig my brother an inbred frame...I don't want to gamble getting charged!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ordered a 456c last sept, 107 for shipping but no customs or fees... Took 3 weeks to get here tho...

El Pollo Diablo
    Getting dinged for that customs fee was a rude awakening, would have been nice for On-One to give me a heads up...
    that being said, got my 456 Summer on sale, so it was still a hot deal, would do it again in a heartbeat.
    (and she glows in the dark!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Even though I would think customs would be a federally regulated thing, what states are you guys from? Again, I would think customs would be federal, but is it possible that some states require customs, but others don't? It's weird that it seems so random, so I'm just trying to eliminate some possibilities for the cause of some getting charged and some not.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Between myself and a friend, we've had three orders shipped to the US from the UK. One was to Virginia, two to Maryland. None were charged customs. We paid only what was charged at the time the order was placed.

mtbr member
    Here is what might be the official information from U.S. Customs and Border Protection. I read through quickly and it appears that if the value is less than $200 then you're home free. Above $200 and it's more of a crapshoot. I'm looking at an Inbred for $178 so I might go for it and have some confidence that I won't get dinged.....

Linky

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbomber View Post
    Dang this is good to know, because I was planning on buyig my brother an inbred frame...I don't want to gamble getting charged!
    We have Inbreds in stock in Portland
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

UK to US orders

We do have a large stock of products in house here in Portland, but for anything that we don't have, we are more than happy to special order products from the UK warehouse and bring them into our warehouse in Portland then dispatch them directly to you from here.

This ensures that any customs or duty charges will be covered by us and you will be receiving a domestic shipment with a pre-determined total price (no hidden surprises).

Special orders generally take 7-10 days to get to our US warehouse at which point they will be turned around same day that they arrive.

We are working on a system to allow pre-orders on our "shop.titusti.com" site but want to ensure that stock availability is shown correctly.

You can reach us on 503-894-8956 or sales(at)TitusTi.com with any questions or if you would like to order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
    Here is what might be the official information from U.S. Customs and Border Protection. I read through quickly and it appears that if the value is less than $200 then you're home free. Above $200 and it's more of a crapshoot. I'm looking at an Inbred for $178 so I might go for it and have some confidence that I won't get dinged.....

Linky
    My frame was well above the $200 mark and didn't get charged...I don't get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post

Linky
    Order it from Titus in Oregon and there is no tax or customs fees.
    milesW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast