mtbr member
    Nov 2011

OnOne Lurcher build up Tips & Tricks

So I'm sure like a lot of people, I've got a Lurcher on it's way. That sale price for a carbon frame was too good to pass up.
    I hope I'm not going to regret ordering the 19.5, same size as my Inbred. Couple of reviews talk about the lack of standover.

Can any of the present Lurcher owners provide any tips and tricks on building the frame up? I've never worked with carbon before.

As usual, the descriptions and info provided on the OnOne site was vague and confusing. The headset recommended on the site was the Smoothie mixer standard. The only headset on the site is the Smoothie mixer tapered. Hopefully that is the right one. The name says tapered but in it's description it says it comes with the crown race for a straight 1 1/8 steerer and you have to order the tapered crown race separately. Hopefully the description is correct as I'll be running a straight steerer. I included in my order a request for confirmation but didn't hear anything back.

I've ordered a Shimano PF92 bottom bracket. The review at Project 1.2 Review: On-One?s convention-challenging $800 Lurcher carbon 29er frame says a spacer is required - and maybe Loctite. Finally found the installation instructions at:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830625426.pdf

I've also ordered a seat post and seat collar. Other than that, I'm expecting everything else to move over from one of my Inbred's. Setting it up 1X9 so the front derailleur isn't an issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I have a steel 29er Inbred and a Lurcher. Got lots of miles on both. Love them. A couple things on the Lurcher:

@ Smoothie Mixer headset works well, and I think you are right that it typically comes with a race for an 1 1/8th-inch steerer tube and you have to order a 1.5-inch crown race separately. There are other tapered headsets out there, but they will cost much more than the Smoothie Mixer.
    @ I have 19.5-inch frames -- Inbred and Lurcher. They both feel great to ride and seem to have the same angles, as stated by On One. I ride my Lurcher in all kinds of terrain and am often riding with guys who have long-travel forks, slacker head angles, etc. If you push it on the Lurcher, the bike will perform really well. At that point it becomes an issue of rider ability.
    @ Standover height is different on the Lurcher, compared to the Inbred, because they are on different ends of the spectrum in regards to the slope/shape of their top tubes. I have not found the Lurcher top tube to be a problem, and I have not nailed my nut sack on it, despite the wide range of terrain I have ridden it on. But it is there.
    @ I have an SLX crank on mine with a Shimano PF92 BB and no spacer. It currently has an On One 32t chainring and bash guard and a Shimano 10-speed rear setup. Will soon change the front to a 2-ring Shimano XT crank. I have had absolutely zero issues with creaking, noise, movement, whatever at the BB/crank junction. No Loctite on mine, but it seems there would be no downside to using Loctite -- maybe just the bother of Loctite removal when changing BB's.
    @ I used a QR seatpost clamp initially but soon changed to a bolt-on one because I would hear creaking after a couple rides with the QR one. The bolt-on one is trouble-free, and the frame does not seem to mind a good amount of clamping force from the bolt-on collar.
    @ I wrapped a tire around the drive-side chainstay to protect it in the event of chain drop. I haven't really had any issues with chain drop and have run my Lurcher SS and geared with the two different sets of dropouts. Still, it seems this type of potential impact is the kind of damage we should try to protect our carbon from.

Overall, this is a great bike. I know it is crazy, but I was tempted to buy another one because of the current sale price. I kept a little sanity, though, thinking I need to save my $ for a Fatty for winter/spring snow/mud/sand riding.

Here is a photo from a 3-day ride I did recently of the North Umpqua Trail here in Oregon -- a trail that offers virtually every type of riding surface except slickrock. My Lurcher was a blast to ride on this trip.
    OnOne Lurcher build up Tips & Tricks-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370889441.758647.jpg

mtbr member

Fork Travel?

Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    I have a steel 29er Inbred and a Lurcher. Got lots of miles on both. Love them. A couple things on the Lurcher:

@ Smoothie Mixer headset works well, and I think you are right that it typically comes with a race for an 1 1/8th-inch steerer tube and you have to order a 1.5-inch crown race separately. There are other tapered headsets out there, but they will cost much more than the Smoothie Mixer.
    @ I have 19.5-inch frames -- Inbred and Lurcher. They both feel great to ride and seem to have the same angles, as stated by On One. I ride my Lurcher in all kinds of terrain and am often riding with guys who have long-travel forks, slacker head angles, etc. If you push it on the Lurcher, the bike will perform really well. At that point it becomes an issue of rider ability.
    @ Standover height is different on the Lurcher, compared to the Inbred, because they are on different ends of the spectrum in regards to the slope/shape of their top tubes. I have not found the Lurcher top tube to be a problem, and I have not nailed my nut sack on it, despite the wide range of terrain I have ridden it on. But it is there.
    @ I have an SLX crank on mine with a Shimano PF92 BB and no spacer. It currently has an On One 32t chainring and bash guard and a Shimano 10-speed rear setup. Will soon change the front to a 2-ring Shimano XT crank. I have had absolutely zero issues with creaking, noise, movement, whatever at the BB/crank junction. No Loctite on mine, but it seems there would be no downside to using Loctite -- maybe just the bother of Loctite removal when changing BB's.
    @ I used a QR seatpost clamp initially but soon changed to a bolt-on one because I would hear creaking after a couple rides with the QR one. The bolt-on one is trouble-free, and the frame does not seem to mind a good amount of clamping force from the bolt-on collar.
    @ I wrapped a tire around the drive-side chainstay to protect it in the event of chain drop. I haven't really had any issues with chain drop and have run my Lurcher SS and geared with the two different sets of dropouts. Still, it seems this type of potential impact is the kind of damage we should try to protect our carbon from.

Overall, this is a great bike. I know it is crazy, but I was tempted to buy another one because of the current sale price. I kept a little sanity, though, thinking I need to save my $ for a Fatty for winter/spring snow/mud/sand riding.

Here is a photo from a 3-day ride I did recently of the North Umpqua Trail here in Oregon -- a trail that offers virtually every type of riding surface except slickrock. My Lurcher was a blast to ride on this trip.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370889441.758647.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	807093
    What travel is your fork set at?

Also, if you don't mind, what is the unsagged bottom bracket with the fork you have?

I want to pick up one of these frames, yours looks sweet, but I am waiting to see if the stateside dealer will get close to the UK site i price. The other thread mentions Monday they were going to reprice the Lurchers, but nothing has happened.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

100mm Reba RLT. Chunky Monkey 2.4 on the front and Geax Gato 2.3 on the back. Great traction tires!
    OnOne Lurcher build up Tips & Tricks-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370912641.083308.jpg
    OnOne Lurcher build up Tips & Tricks-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370912656.050490.jpg

mtbr member
    Thank you for the pictures!
    I am so tempted to get this frame, but the 13" bottom bracket makes me feel uneasy. I too will run the frame with a 100mm fork.
    Poking around their site, the Dirty Harry model seems to be more of a frame for the type of riding I do.
    Now if they would only put that model sale...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lurcher seems that come without any protection or plate for chainsuck? So the design is pretty much like Whippet? What have you done to protect the frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Part of a tube and some black plastic ties. Works great, although I haven't had much trouble with chain suck.
    OnOne Lurcher build up Tips & Tricks-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371192019.134762.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just one idea that have worked well for me, against chainstay damages. A semi-pro MTB rider suggested me to cut a small part from a plastic bottle (Coca-Cola or something) and put to that part on the chainstay where problem can occur. Fix it with a tape, maybe you can also add some zip ties (just for sure) and it's done. That plastic is thick enough to protect the frame and it is super-cheap, if replace is needed. (I use this method on my On-One Whippet XC, works fine)
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member

I'd get a shimano shadow plus or SRAM type two derailuer. I haven't dropped a chain since I made the switch.

mtbr member
    Headset?

Okay, I am aware I can get the On One Smoothie Mixer headset, but what are my other options?
    What is the headset standard for this frame? Zero-stack?
    Trying to find a silver headset for the frame, but I am curious how much of the headset is visible.

Any help appreciated ....

mtbr member
    Cris King Inset 3
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Seems like there is some stack height differences between different headsets in lower cups. King 14.8, Mixer 15 and Cane Creek 40's is 14mm. How does that effect on geometry? In mind, higher stack height slackens head angle. But 1mm must be something you cannot really notice? But just curious that is the geometry in Lurcher data based on 15mm stack height..

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Has anybody used a Race Face PF92 BB on their Lurcher? My LBS dude has one in stock. I figured I'd stick with a Shimano, but if the RF works, I'd be inclined to buy the one from him.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by arisaast View Post
    Seems like there is some stack height differences between different headsets in lower cups. King 14.8, Mixer 15 and Cane Creek 40's is 14mm. How does that effect on geometry? In mind, higher stack height slackens head angle. But 1mm must be something you cannot really notice? But just curious that is the geometry in Lurcher data based on 15mm stack height..
    A 1mm difference is nothing. Your tires flex way more than that.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    Has anybody used a Race Face PF92 BB on their Lurcher? My LBS dude has one in stock. I figured I'd stick with a Shimano, but if the RF works, I'd be inclined to buy the one from him.
    If it works with your crank, go for it. The frame fitment is the same.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would like to know if a 156 q factor crankset will work on the lurcher 21"frame? Is there enough clearence between the crank arm and the chainstays as the crank rotates, or is the 168q factor crankset the only one to use?
    any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    A 1mm difference is nothing. Your tires flex way more than that.
    Ok, thanks. Just confused sometimes with all these headset and bb standards. For example here they used hope mix'n match, but there is no stack height in lower bb cup.

Project 1.2 Review: On-One?s convention-challenging $800 Lurcher carbon 29er frame

Quote Originally Posted by arisaast View Post
    Ok, thanks. Just confused sometimes with all these headset and bb standards. For example here they used hope mix'n match, but there is no stack height in lower bb cup.

Project 1.2 Review: On-One?s convention-challenging $800 Lurcher carbon 29er frame
    You can fit a Zero Stack bottom, like they did, but is is not what the frame was designed for. ~10mm less stack height which does steepen the frame angles a bit more than 0.5 degree.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    are there any zero stack headsets that will fit the Lurcher headtube and accommodate a tapered steerer tube (1 1/8 top, 1 1/5 bottom)?

mtbr member
    yes, fsa has one of this FSA Orbit E 1.5" X-Low Stack Height Headset , you will have to buy it just to use the down part, for the upper you will have to buy a hope from pic n mix or a cane creek....

sorry of my english..