mtbr member

On-One Warranty Issue

I recently inquired about a warranty issue with On-One which was promptly denied, and i'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. I bought one of the Inbred LTD frames about a year ago and have ridden the bike about 5 times, while its spent most of its time on the stand waiting for parts. When i received the frame i had an issue with the dropouts being quite out of spec, my guess due to the way the dropouts are manufactured(it appears they are just stamped, rather than machined). Not a huge deal, i just had to file the edges off of one side of each tab to make them clear a 10mm axle. I also had an issue with some gouges along the top of the seat post, which i thought i could smooth out with a file and some emery cloth. I remember there being a thread somewhere about On-one having difficulty with a run of frames that had the seat tubes reamed at an off angle, and many of them were cracking where the tube was thinned. It wouldn't surprise me if these gouges were from a similar issue with misaligned tooling.

Some of the gouges are very shallow, but some extend 1/3 to 1/2 way through the tube. Its difficult to see the full depth due to the thickness of the paint at the end of the tube.
    On-One Warranty Issue-post-2.jpg
    Name:  post 1.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  54.1 KB

Long story short, after doing the best i could to smooth out the edges on the gouges without removing too much material, I’ve realized that the uneven surfaces and gaps still create severe pressure points around the diameter of the seat post, which has caused some worrying scoring in two different seat posts. I originally thought it wouldn't be a big issue, so I elected not to go through the game of having a new frame shipped halfway across the world. However, after damaging a couple of expensive posts (and the thought of a jagged snapped off post pointed at my nether-region) I decided enough is enough. I figured that my options were:

1. Try to file out the gouges around the circumference of the tube as evenly as possible. The issue here is that it’s very difficult to file an even surface inside of a cylinder. I'm also worried about thinning of the tube and reducing the clamp area, possibly making the problem worse. I'm also confident that if i went this route and the tube developed a crack where the wall has been thinned, I would get the inevitable response "due to the modifications you've made to your frame, we are not obligated to warranty it".

2. Chop off the top 1/4" of the tube and re-spray or paint the remaining edge.

3. Eff option 1 and option 2, this is a warranty issue. I shouldn't have to go to these lengths to make a product off the shelf fit for purpose.

After contacting On-One and several emails back and forth, they have denied that this is a warranty issue due to the length of time since i bought it. They have also quoted some European laws requiring me to make a warranty claim as soon as an issue is noticed. Both of these responses are in spite of the clear guarantee on their site:

Guarantee
    On One branded goods carry a 2 year warranty against manufacturing defects.

Even though I bought the frame almost exactly a year ago:
    _
    “…due to the length of time since purchase, regrettably, we are not in a position to offer assistance.”
    _
    And:
    _
    “….it is a stipulation of European warranty laws that a defect is reported when it is noticed. As you have been using the frame for over a year, this is no longer considered to be a warrantable claim.
    _
    Despite this not being a warranty issue in their eyes, i have been offered a £20 credit, and a £29 discount in a separate email as a matter of “good will”. Maybe I’m misunderstanding something, but I would think that “good will” would be honoring the Guarantee on their website that doesn't have a bunch of surprise conditions attached. IMHO, its an issue or its not. If its not a valid issue, then they would have no reason to offer appeasement credits. If it is a valid issue, then they should take full responsibility and act accordingly.

I’m also concerned with one particular comment:
    _
    “It is not uncommon for the frames to require some work to get them operational, and this in itself is not a warranty issue.”

What exactly does this mean? I have inquired twice about what they recommend I do to repair the problem with no response. Presumably because there is no good option, or they don’t want to be liable for the recommendation.Maybe my expectations are too high, but I’m quite disappointed with the way they have responded to my issue. At this point, I haven’t even asked about a replacement, shipping, credits, or anything other than the issue itself. What it comes down to, is that I've been penalized for being honest and forthcoming with my issue. I wonder how they would have responded if I had of said “oh I just noticed…...........”, or if the frame just happened to snap in half(which would be tragic as it is in immaculate condition).
    _
    Has anyone had any similar experience with their warranty process?

mtbr member
    Wow, sounds like a pretty crappy experience. I agree with your decision - before I modify the frame, I'd have opted to check on the warranty. I wonder if they're considering this wear and tear? I'd talk to someone else - maybe a second opinion from the company would help?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here is a solution sell the on-one and get something good. Every one of their frames I've worked in has had some issue with it. I've had to tap bb shells. Dish wheels to match misaligned rear triangles and have seen poor paint jobs as well. Just my opinion but I think on one sucks

mtbr member
    Yea, i'm thinking i might have to upgrade to a Vassago Jabberwocky.

Oddly enough, in the last email from them they said:

".....the imperfection with your frame is not a manufacturing fault however a small production defect."

Maybe i need to break out the thesaurus but i would think they are one in the same. At the end of the day, 2 years is not 2 years, it sounds like its 28 days if your lucky(probably not), and live in the UK, and can go in person to wherever their location is.... Or maybe they are just running out the clock on the 2 year period... In the end it seems like their business model is "buyer beware". I would think that ripping off consumers wouldn't be sustainable, as i have had at least 2 other builds planned with their frames, but now i'll be forced to look elsewhere if this isn't resolved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newdee View Post
    1. Try to file out the gouges around the circumference of the tube as evenly as possible. The issue here is that it’s very difficult to file an even surface inside of a cylinder. I'm also worried about thinning of the tube and reducing the clamp area, possibly making the problem worse. I'm also confident that if i went this route and the tube developed a crack where the wall has been thinned, I would get the inevitable response "due to the modifications you've made to your frame, we are not obligated to warranty it".
    Sorry for jumping in but just wanted to let you know that an email was sent to you from the warranty manager agreeing that you are OK toundertake your suggested modification - a note has been put on your account that should you have any issue with this frame due to the suggested fix, then we will cover it under warranty.
    Sorry that this wasn't caught earlier and/or the previous response wasn't more customer focused. The team here try to do everything they can with the info that they are presented to make the best judgement call for both the customer/customer experience as well as for the sake of the company.
    Please let me know how you get on with the fix so that I can ensure that you are sorted (michael.golinski@planet-x-usa.com)
    Thank you.

mtbr Decade+
    Michael, your visibility on here as an effective representative is really priceless for the company. I'm sure this forum (mtbr) is the biggest N. American gathering of bikeminded individuals.

Several weeks ago you stepped in and handled, very well, my situation. Great work.

I have two On-one bikes a 456 Mk I and a Inbred 29'er. I have to be honest, they may not have the finishing quality of a Lynskey, but these frames look funky and have a truly great geometry, for me anyways.

Additionally, I'm 5'11" and 250 lbs, these frames have been ridden hard, flogged, bludgeoned, beat down and abused. I've never had an issue with either.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus/On One USA View Post
    Sorry for jumping in but just wanted to let you know that an email was sent to you from the warranty manager agreeing that you are OK toundertake your suggested modification - a note has been put on your account that should you have any issue with this frame due to the suggested fix, then we will cover it under warranty.
    Sorry that this wasn't caught earlier and/or the previous response wasn't more customer focused. The team here try to do everything they can with the info that they are presented to make the best judgement call for both the customer/customer experience as well as for the sake of the company.
    Please let me know how you get on with the fix so that I can ensure that you are sorted (michael.golinski@planet-x-usa.com)
    Thank you.
    Thanks for your attention here. I have included you on my reply.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Good to see On-One making things right. I had a 456 Evo II frame that I received recently with poorly cut bottom bracket threads and they replaced it and paid for shipping both ways without any hassle.

Now that the frame is built up, I am very happy with the bike. Love the stiff rear triangle and confidence-inspiring ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Good to see On-One making things right. I had a 456 Evo II frame that I received recently with poorly cut bottom bracket threads and they replaced it and paid for shipping both ways without any hassle.

Now that the frame is built up, I am very happy with the bike. Love the stiff rear triangle and confidence-inspiring ride.
    Nothing has been resolved as of yet, but it seems like there's been a breakthrough in willingness at-least.

mtbr member
    Just to throw my $ 0.02 in. My Lurcher developed cracks at the seat stays after 18 months. I took a few photos, emailed Brandon at Planet X USA. He said it looked like it would be covered and to send it in. I sent it in and one month later I had a new frame at my front door.

mtbr member
    Basically, after 4 weeks and 35-ish emails back in forth, it sounded like they were going to warranty it, then they weren't, then they were, and then at the last second that model of frame just happened to be sold out, with no new stock until august...... i haven't really got a clear explanation...

Either i'm waiting for a new frame, or just running out the clock...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've owned several On One/Titus bikes as do a couple of my riding friends. Any and all attempts to deal with that company have been fruitless to the point of high comedy.

What the posted response from a rep in this thread actually states is: "Sure, go ahead and modify our shoddily manufactured frame. If you break it after, we'll replace it." Since there's clearly a problem, why not just replace it now?

Man, I wouldn't ride one of these bikes today if they sent it to me for free. Absolutely crazy.