Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

On One Scandal 29er, Suitable for trails?

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Pauldotcom 
#1 ·
Hi all

I am considering getting an On One Scandal 29er (Vertical Dropout as i want to run it geared) and i have a few questions.

- Will the frame be tough enough to deal with rough trails, so small drop offs, rocks, roots etc

- What is the difference between the inbred and the scandal in real world conditions

- Does the geometry (72 degree head angle) make for a nervous ride downhill?

- I would need to ride it for about 10 miles on the road to get to the trails, i presume that wouldn't be much of a hassle on it?​

If anybody has any photos, especially in the raw silver colour I'd love to see them, and just what components you run.

Cheers
Ryan

#2 ·
The following review might answer some of your questions, including the steep head angle. ;)
On-One Scandal - BikeRadar
The steep head angle was also noticable during my first ride on my Inbred 29er (which has exactly the same geometry as Scandal 29er has), however it was quite easy to use to it.

#3 ·
I have a Scandal 29er, currently setup as a singlespeed. Great bike - probably my favorite bike I've owned - and all my other bike have either been Carbon or steel - this is the only Alu bike I've had.

Its a mountain bike, so rocks and roots are no problem. I'd say any drop off less than 3 ft would be no problem.

I love the 72 degree head angle. When I first built it, it was my first 29er, I had it set up with 100mm forks. I found the steering too slow, so dropped them to 80mm, which made my local twisty singletrack a lot more manageable on the bigger wheels.

I guess the slacker HTA bike would be more stable going down, but I've never had an issue with the bike feeling nervous. The stability that the big wheels give seems to cancel out the effect of the steep HTA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.