mtbr member
    Dec 2012

On One Scandal 29er, Suitable for trails?

Hi all

I am considering getting an On One Scandal 29er (Vertical Dropout as i want to run it geared) and i have a few questions.

- Will the frame be tough enough to deal with rough trails, so small drop offs, rocks, roots etc

- What is the difference between the inbred and the scandal in real world conditions

- Does the geometry (72 degree head angle) make for a nervous ride downhill?

- I would need to ride it for about 10 miles on the road to get to the trails, i presume that wouldn't be much of a hassle on it?

If anybody has any photos, especially in the raw silver colour I'd love to see them, and just what components you run.

Cheers
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The following review might answer some of your questions, including the steep head angle.
    On-One Scandal - BikeRadar
    The steep head angle was also noticable during my first ride on my Inbred 29er (which has exactly the same geometry as Scandal 29er has), however it was quite easy to use to it.
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a Scandal 29er, currently setup as a singlespeed. Great bike - probably my favorite bike I've owned - and all my other bike have either been Carbon or steel - this is the only Alu bike I've had.

Its a mountain bike, so rocks and roots are no problem. I'd say any drop off less than 3 ft would be no problem.

I love the 72 degree head angle. When I first built it, it was my first 29er, I had it set up with 100mm forks. I found the steering too slow, so dropped them to 80mm, which made my local twisty singletrack a lot more manageable on the bigger wheels.

I guess the slacker HTA bike would be more stable going down, but I've never had an issue with the bike feeling nervous. The stability that the big wheels give seems to cancel out the effect of the steep HTA.
    Planet X Dirty Harry, SID XX, Chris King, Rotor 3D, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

NONDURO
    A guy was riding a Scandal in one of the tougher XC races I competed in this year. Rocky stuff, drops, etc. I donít know how he placed in the race, but I managed a 2nd place on my Inbred 29er with a Lefty fork, and I rode it hard.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks guys, i took the plunge and bought the frame last night so I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to get here. I shall probably keep a photo diary during the build up

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by u05re0 View Post
    I shall probably keep a photo diary during the build up
    Yes, please! Nice looking frame. Will look even better with build progress pictures.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by u05re0 View Post
    Thanks guys, i took the plunge and bought the frame last night so I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to get here. I shall probably keep a photo diary during the build up
    Any updates for your build?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi sorry, I have been absolutely swamped at uni and couldn't find the time to keep a diary. Anyway below is a picture of the finished thing hope you all like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Scandal 29er, Suitable for trails?-150003_4564625747672_1009242844_n.jpg