Short-Change-Hero

On-One Pompino/Pompitemine

Wondering if anyone here has one of these frames and has converted it to a singlespeed cyclocross bike?! I am looking to get into CX this year and thought it would be neat to have a couple On-One steeds!!!
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not using drop bars and not really single speed. Here using an Alfine 8 speed. Trail worthy as long as the trails you go to dont have drops and isnt too technical.

Short-Change-Hero
    Very nice and love the look of the bike. I am thinking of grabbing one, throwing a Nashbar Carbon Cross fork on it and then building from there... What tires are those in the picture? Nice that you could do disc brakes as well.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The tires are Continental Cyclocross Race 700c x 35mm. The good thing about the Pompetamine is it uses mtb spacing for the hubs so i can slap on any 29er disc wheelset. Planning to build one with drop bars soon. Will post pics when done.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Wondering if anyone here has one of these frames and has converted it to a singlespeed cyclocross bike?! I am looking to get into CX this year and thought it would be neat to have a couple On-One steeds!!!
    greg, the frames are designed for singlespeed/fixed use (and internal geared hub with the Pompitemine).

The Pompino has 120mm rear spacing while the Pompitemine is 135 (and requires disc brakes).

Either is a fine 'cross bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks Shiggy. I did see your article for Twentynineinches, I am so waiting for the new "adventure" bike to come about!!! Decided to stay away from CX and just stick with road/touring, maybe add some knobbier tires in there for the bit of gravel I will hit and the snow in the winter.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hello,
    I am thinking about buying a Pompetamine frame because I really like "that blue". But what I dislike is the big black On-One decal on the downtube.
    Would any Pompetamine-owner please tell me if the decal is applied ON the enamel so I could remove it easily or if the decals are clearcoated.
    Thanks
    Gerd

Short-Change-Hero
    Assuming it is probably the same as my Inbred in which it seems they are sprayed into the clear.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    as above the decals on my pomp dont come off

I've been wanting a road/light trail commuter and have been trying to figure out a build for the past few weeks. Just came across the Pompetamine and I'm really digging it. I think the glow in the dark frame will be sick and I might just place an order for the "pompetamix" this afternoon. I think I might put some Mungo bars on it.

Do you think it's possible to fit full fenders on this one with the 35cm tires, or would I have to go with a slightly smaller tire (30 or 32) to fit full fenders?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I've been wanting a road/light trail commuter and have been trying to figure out a build for the past few weeks. Just came across the Pompetamine and I'm really digging it. I think the glow in the dark frame will be sick and I might just place an order for the "pompetamix" this afternoon. I think I might put some Mungo bars on it.

Do you think it's possible to fit full fenders on this one with the 35cm tires, or would I have to go with a slightly smaller tire (30 or 32) to fit full fenders?
    Nate, there should be plenty of room for full fenders and 35mm tires. You can fit 40-42mm tires without fenders.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Nate, there should be plenty of room for full fenders and 35mm tires. You can fit 40-42mm tires without fenders.
    Nice. I was wondering about the tire fit information. I saw on the page for the frame two different statements about tire fit (both those you mentioned), but there wasn't anything about how fenders affected tire fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This is a pompetamine with a 42mm conti double fighter fitted, still room around the tyre but I wouldn't recommend fitting them as they are crap tyres unless you go everywhere in a straight line and perfectly upright.

09072010512 by markenduro, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markenduro View Post
    This is a pompetamine with a 42mm conti double fighter fitted, still room around the tyre but I wouldn't recommend fitting them as they are crap tyres unless you go everywhere in a straight line and perfectly upright.

09072010512 by markenduro, on Flickr

thanks for the tip on the double fighters; was thinking about them for a commuter.

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    Here's mine;

mtbr member
    I built up a Pompino last year as a single speed urban bike that I use to tool around the neighborhood. I really like this bike, the steel frame has a nice feel to it and I can put a rack on the rear if I need to make a run to the store.