mtbr member
    Jun 2009

On One / Planet X Sales - not willing to go the extra mile for a sale

This one should really be posted on RBR, but since there's no Planet X forum there, I thought I'd post here.

I'm the happy owner of several On One / Planet X products, including a Scandal 29er and a Dirty Harry which I detailed my build here:
    Planet X - Dirty Harry

The bikes ride fantastically well and represent excellent value, so last year when I was looking for a Time Trial bike the Planet X Exocet was top of my list. I sent them an email to check if this frame met UCI tube profile regulations (3:1 Aero profile rule - tube can't be more than 3x longer than its width), otherwise I wouldn't be able to race it here in Aus.

The reply I got was that it costs $1000s to get a frame certified by the UCI, so they don't bother doing it. All I needed was someone to measure the tubes sections with a vernier and tell me if it was within 3:1, or I expect the frame designer would know straight away, but it just seemed like the sales guy couldn't be bothered to find out the info for me.

Anyway, because they couldn't tell me this, I had to go with a Ribble frame instead (one of their UK competitors), where the sales guy was only too happy to give me the info I required.

Roll on to last week, and I'm really keen to buy a Planet X N2A frame, I email them to ask for a 50 UK pound discount. This isn't something that I'd normally do with an online retailer, but its currently the only frame that they didn't have a discount on, and I needed the discount to get the frame price under $1000 Australian, because in Aus if you import anything less than $1000, you're not charged import duty and sales tax, so it make a big difference to the overall price. I didn't think this was such a big ask since they have cheaper frames discounted at 200 UK pounds off, but if they said they couldn't do it, I figured that I'd see if I could wait for them to have a sale.

The reply I got said that what I was asking them to do was fraudulent!
    Was really taken aback that they thought that my asking for a discount was seen as being illegal.

So again, it looks that unfortunately, due to their sales guys not wanting to help a customer out, I'll be spending my money elsewhere. Disappointing, because as a Brit living in Aus, its nice to be riding and racing UK designed kit.
    Planet X Dirty Harry, SID XX, Chris King, Rotor 3D, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, IF they'd interpreted your question as you asking them to change the price on the bill to reflect a lower price than what was the actual cost for the purposes of paying less import duties.
    That IS fraud and they would be exactly correct.
    (whether that's how your request was interpreted or not isn't to me to answer)

That being said ... you just asked them to "give me 50 pounds off"... for what reason?
    Why should they arbitrarily change their price ONLY for you because it helps you pay less import duties?
    That's not them "failing to help" that's them charging you the quoted price.
    Sorry, but why is it that you think you deserve special treatment?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!