Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 502
  1. #276
    NONDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,540
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    My frame arrived today... Waiting on a few other parts before I can start my build. I am surprised at how quickly it shipped / arrived.

    Did you consult the Turtle for your purchase?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  2. #277
    ask
    ask is offline
    user
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Did you consult the Turtle for your purchase?
    Took me a bit to figure out what you were referring to... The Zen Turtle. No, I did not chat directly w/ him. Is there something I should know before starting this build?
    Last edited by ask; 09-06-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: figured out what the Porkstacker was talking about

  3. #278
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    735
    Just weighed my Lurcher. 22.5 lbs w O-O carbon fork, 1x10 setup, XT brakes and relatively cheap/not-so-light wheels and smaller bits.

    Lots of ways I can shave weight as I upgrade.

    On-One Lurcher...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347390637.381120.jpg

  4. #279
    ask
    ask is offline
    user
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    728

    Done-ish

    My Lurcher SS is pretty much done for now. I am planning to upgrade the wheelset, fork, and some other components... but it is ridable as-is. I took it out for a test spin this morning. No creaks, super quiet, light, stiff, and comfortable. The geometry w/ the Fox G2 fork handled tight singletrack very well. Much better than my GF Rig does. The only issue was a slight headset rattle. (I am having a tough time getting the On One Smoothie Mixer headset tight enough.)


  5. #280
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    My Lurcher SS is pretty much done for now. I am planning to upgrade the wheelset, fork, and some other components... but it is ridable as-is. I took it out for a test spin this morning. No creaks, super quiet, light, stiff, and comfortable. The geometry w/ the Fox G2 fork handled tight singletrack very well. Much better than my GF Rig does. The only issue was a slight headset rattle. (I am having a tough time getting the On One Smoothie Mixer headset tight enough.)

    What size frame is yours and how tall are you? I wanted to order the 18" when they were $399 but I think it would of been too small for me at 6'.

  6. #281
    ask
    ask is offline
    user
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    What size frame is yours and how tall are you? I wanted to order the 18" when they were $399 but I think it would of been too small for me at 6'.
    I bought the $399 18" SS Lurcher. I am 5' 11" and have a ~33" inseam. I am often borderline between medium and large frame sizes. With 29ers and trail bikes I typically choose the smaller frame option. I have only done 1 ride, but the 18" frame feels good. I am using a 70mm stem on it and can bump that up if I need to be a little more stretched out.
    Last edited by ask; 09-24-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: quote

  7. #282
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdcatnau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    485
    Anyone experiencing creaking coming from the drop outs? Since the rain has stopped and the trails in my area have become dusty my drop outs are creaking like crazy. I removed them and cleaned the dirty, rode it, and two rides later the creak is back. Are there torque specs for the drop outs? I'm getting nervousness tightening the drop outs more than I already have.

  8. #283
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    251
    Are there others out there that are having issues with the brake levers hitting the top tube? I had to raise my bars up a little more than i wanted because the top tube was getting beat to crap if the bars swung around.

  9. #284
    Atreidies
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    34
    Please put me right if I'm breaking forum etiquette here - high jacking this thread? But...how are you lurcher owners getting on with the Press fit BB91 bottom bracket? Are they pressing in ok, wearing ok and are you finding light weight crank arms to go with it?

  10. #285
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    251
    I had no issues getting the bearings into place and so far seem to be holding up good. I am running E*thirteen cranks and they are pretty light and I think a good crank for the price.

  11. #286
    ask
    ask is offline
    user
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisj1 View Post
    Please put me right if I'm breaking forum etiquette here - high jacking this thread? But...how are you lurcher owners getting on with the Press fit BB91 bottom bracket? Are they pressing in ok, wearing ok and are you finding light weight crank arms to go with it?
    No issues here... I am running Shimano SLX cranks w/ a Shimano BB. This only issue was that I had to order the BB, as none of my local shops had it in stock.
    Amazon.com: Shimano SM-BB91-41A PressFit MTB bottom Bracket: Sports & Outdoors

    The BB went in easily without a press and the cranks installed fine as well. The BB went in so easily that I had a friend that works at a local shop take a look... he found no issues with the fit. I only have a couple rides so far so I can't really comment on long-term reliability. However, I have zero noise coming from the BB under heavy torque. (Unlike EBBs that I have had in other SS frames)

    With my setup I could easily upgrade to an XTR crankset if I wanted it to be a bit lighter.

  12. #287
    Atreidies
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    34
    Cheers for your feedback singlespeedrider and ask. Very tempted to get a Lurcher but just trying to do my homework. Nothing worse than coughing up the bucks, getting all excited and then being let down by some fault.

  13. #288
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    735
    Singlespeedrider: I have about an inch of clearance between the brake levers and top tube when I crank the bar sideways. Here is my setup: just over an inch of spacers under my stem, a 110/6 degree stem, an On One oversize riser bar and XT levers that are turned downward at a fairly steep angle.

    I used this many spacers just because I did not want to cut the steerer tube too short before I knew what fit/setup I wanted. Likewise, I used the riser bar just because I had it and I like the width. Turns out, I like this fairly upright setup, at least for now -- especially on long mountain climbs.
    On-One Lurcher...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348769522.117079.jpgOn-One Lurcher...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348769552.568598.jpg

  14. #289
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    251
    I had mine set up with just one small spacer below the stem and it has taken out my top tube. I moved my bars and had to flatten my levers a little bit to get it to clear.

  15. #290
    ask
    ask is offline
    user
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    728
    I finally remembered to check my brake lever clearance today... I have one small ~1/2" spacer on my 0 degree stem w/ an older set of Easton Monkey lite XC bars and Avid CR Elixir levers. No clearance issues. The levers are close... but no contact.


  16. #291
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    I finally remembered to check my brake lever clearance today... I have one small ~1/2" spacer on my 0 degree stem w/ an older set of Easton Monkey lite XC bars and Avid CR Elixir levers. No clearance issues. The levers are close... but no contact.


    I am running Titec flat bars so that little rise in your handlebar is where you are clearing and I am not. I moved me stem up so I am good to go now but a few scratches in my new paint job did not make me to happy.

  17. #292
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    735
    It's hard to describe how much I like my Lurcher! So light and responsive. I am using it for commuting, mountain riding and whatever at this point, just to get time on it.
    On-One Lurcher...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349653745.430688.jpg

  18. #293
    dtheo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    176

    here's mine a few months later

    carbon sucks as does the bike industry for pushing it so wholeheartedly.
    a material that cannot take any impact has no place in the bike world.
    this will be FS once replaced or fixed along with the brand new matching fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  19. #294
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by dtheo View Post
    carbon sucks as does the bike industry for pushing it so wholeheartedly.
    a material that cannot take any impact has no place in the bike world.
    this will be FS once replaced or fixed along with the brand new matching fork.
    Ya it sux when you break a frame. However, carbon fiber is here for a long time. It is proven resilient high tensile material. No material is impact proof. carbon is so much fun to ride it is worth it. Good luck with your rebuild.

  20. #295
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    735
    This is another reason to ride an On One frame. Great ride qualities, good geometry and you're not out thousands of $$$ if you thrash the frame.

  21. #296
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    This is another reason to ride an On One frame. Great ride qualities, good geometry and you're not out thousands of $$$ if you thrash the frame.
    Totally agree, I have carbon chinese frame as ss cost as much ad xtr rear derailleur

  22. #297
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rhynolite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by dtheo View Post
    carbon sucks as does the bike industry for pushing it so wholeheartedly.
    a material that cannot take any impact has no place in the bike world.
    this will be FS once replaced or fixed along with the brand new matching fork.

    Hey, sorry to see a cracked Lurcher. Hope you were not hurt.

    Carbon does take damage, just like any other material. But carbon is also easy to repair.

    I cracked my frame at September on a training ride. Long story short, broke my leg and a top tube. The frame was fixed by Ruckus Components at Oregon (the leg was patched with titanium at Palo Alto).

    Great service by Greg at Ruckus, quick turn around, reasonable price. Rides great now.

    Just my two cents.
    power matters

  23. #298
    dtheo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    176
    Luckily, I was not hurt. The bike landed on cement. It was an impact that caused the damage, but this would not have broken a metal frame.

    I have looked into getting it repaired as well as contacting On One regarding replacement.

    I really wanted to like carbon as I figured there was a reason it has been so universally adopted, but now I'm back to being super skeptical. Maybe I am a little ignorant to the material, but it seems that anytime you have impact to it, you have to wonder if it has been compromised in a way that could cause serious failure. seeing this damage, it made that fear much more plausible.

    sorry to hear about your incident, rhyno. was the frame breaking what caused the leg injury and crash?


    DT

    Quote Originally Posted by rhynolite View Post
    Hey, sorry to see a cracked Lurcher. Hope you were not hurt.

    Carbon does take damage, just like any other material. But carbon is also easy to repair.

    I cracked my frame at September on a training ride. Long story short, broke my leg and a top tube. The frame was fixed by Ruckus Components at Oregon (the leg was patched with titanium at Palo Alto).

    Great service by Greg at Ruckus, quick turn around, reasonable price. Rides great now.

    Just my two cents.

  24. #299
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rhynolite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by dtheo View Post

    sorry to hear about your incident, rhyno. was the frame breaking what caused the leg injury and crash?


    DT

    The frame was not the cause of my crash; it was my "pilot mistake". I went down a trail much faster than I should with the tire pressure I had at the moment. OTB at >20mph.

    The damage to the frame came from the handlebar that was slammed into the top tube. Carbon fiber handlebar BTW

    This bike is my 4th CF bike, and I tend to trust the material. I had chains torn, spokes broken, pedals disintegrated - all made from metal. Had a top tube on my aluminum bike bent. Everything breaks.

    I do have 3 carbon fiber bikes, and I like them more than the aluminum ones I had before. The last crash did not reduce my confidence in the bike, I am trying to ride it as hard as I could (obviously, still recovering).
    power matters

  25. #300
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    735
    What a great bike. Getting lots good winter SS riding in.

    On-One Lurcher...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357685770.872519.jpg
    On-One Lurcher...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357685794.674285.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •