Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

On-One carbon fork - does not fit/poor design?

I bought On-One carbon fork 26 over 30 days ago from Unrealcycles. I finally found a moment to put another bike together and to my dismay that fork is a bad design. I checked every single wheelset I have at home (Fulcrum 3/5/29SL, Mavic Crossride, ZTR Crest) with different brakes (Shimano SLX/XT, Avid Elixir CR, Hayes) and every time I mount the fork it is rubbing the rotors. I am not talking about caliper rubbing, the rotor is rubbing against left leg.

This is the fork.

On-One Carbon Fork

I guess warranty is the only option.

Here are some pictures. These are not mine. My fork does not fit.

On-One 29er Carbon Forks - disk clearance? (pic) « Singletrack Forum
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

on one fork

Hi Patrick,
    i know your pain I had the same issue with CK hub and avid brakes, even to the point of machining the Avid brake mount to move the caliper out. This did work. Even without the brake caliper in place I only had 20 thou gap between the outside of the disc and the inside of fork leg. I eventually cut my losses and sold the fork and replaced with Salsa gran cromoto. I didn't have the issue before with White bros rock solid or Pace (RC31) 26er with CK hubs.

I also don't think it's an issue with the Hope hubs and On One fork for clearance. If you haven't damaged the fork they may take it back otherwise change fork or wheel. I would trawl through this site and see what combination others have fitted.

Cheers

Steve

mtbr member
    Shimano SLX and XT hubs paired with avid brakes do not rub on my setups.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    I have the exact same issue. I have to add a washer between the QR skewer which barely leaves enough lip on the fork's cutouts which sometimes worries me...

Bought it from a ebay vendor but took so long to mount it, it was well beyond their return policy ... plus i had already cut the steerer tube before I realize the defect.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm a little surprised there is no comment from the OnOne representatives in this thread. People contemplating buying the fork and hitting this thread are not going to buy the fork.
    I've got the same fork on on a 29er with no problems but doesn't help the 26ers.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I'm a little surprised there is no comment from the OnOne representatives in this thread. People contemplating buying the fork and hitting this thread are not going to buy the fork.
    I've got the same fork on on a 29er with no problems but doesn't help the 26ers.
    I can post pics if need be but it sounds unnecessary at this point. I don't plan to pursue warrantying it. Just sort of living with it, as is.

I am also going though an extensive On-One 456c new frame purchase damage / RMA drama with the US department, Planet X which isn't going very well at all but I'm waiting to see this all the way through before making my final thoughts and conclusions...

It's definitely a shame though. I really want to like this company! They seem to make products that appeal to me (cost and frame geo/design) but QA and CS leaves a little to be desired.
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Guys,

Thank you for all the responses. I installed the fork on my 29er with Hayes brakes and a rotor is ridiculously close to a fork. It works for the time being. I also bought it from UnrealCycles and by the time I installed it was too late to return it.

incognito - Salsa is a pretty nice fork and offers great quality ride.

kvw - I bought On-One Whippet (black) few months ago. As soon as I get it I had to call On-One since the frame had some serious scratches and had to ask for a replacement. There is also a problem with a second frame. The area for seat post clamp must have been cut and misaligned by person with very shaky hands.

Overall, I am disappointed and I doubt will be buying another On-One product. It is a much more pleasant experience dealing with Niner.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Rotor clearance for the 26 and 29" forks is the same. Designed with 1-1.5mm clearance at the dropout and within the disc mount tolerances.

There is a clearance issue with Chris King hubs (and not just with On-One forks). The CK hub has the rotor mount to the outside end of the spec tolerance which can cause setup issues when the calipers mounts are near the other end of the tolerance.

I have not seen rotor issues with Fulcrum or Mavic hubs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    I can post pics if need be but it sounds unnecessary at this point. I don't plan to pursue warrantying it. Just sort of living with it, as is.

I am also going though an extensive On-One 456c new frame purchase damage / RMA drama with the US department, Planet X which isn't going very well at all but I'm waiting to see this all the way through before making my final thoughts and conclusions...

It's definitely a shame though. I really want to like this company! They seem to make products that appeal to me (cost and frame geo/design) but QA and CS leaves a little to be desired.
    KVW, We are sorry for the delay on the replacement. Currently waiting for new stock of the 456c to arrive so we can send out a frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Rotor clearance for the 26 and 29" forks is the same. Designed with 1-1.5mm clearance at the dropout and within the disc mount tolerances.

There is a clearance issue with Chris King hubs (and not just with On-One forks). The CK hub has the rotor mount to the outside end of the spec tolerance which can cause setup issues when the calipers mounts are near the other end of the tolerance.

I have not seen rotor issues with Fulcrum or Mavic hubs.
    FYI, This is occurring with my shimano hub. You can see the scrap marks here:

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    KVW, We are sorry for the delay on the replacement. Currently waiting for new stock of the 456c to arrive so we can send out a frame.
    Thanks for the update shiggy!

mtbr member
    No problem with Shimano XT (775 and 785), but I use Centerlock disks in my Avids.
    I see KVW uses an adaptor.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have had nothing but good luck with ON ONE. Great customer service and a good frames for a good price. Every company sends out a dud now and then. Just asked all the Niner owners with slipping EBBs and cracked scandium frames. I'm sure thell take care of the issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have built up 5 On One bikes and am now starting on a 6th (Lurcher, 26er and 29er Inbreds, geared and SS, and now a Pompetamine). I have had a very positive experience with the O-O guys in Portland and with a few orders from the UK office.

The problems I have run into were mostly parts compatibility issues (see Lurcher bung hole plug thread), but these can be expected when building bikes up from scratch. My experience with On-One has shown that they are more than willing to make corrections, give discounts, bring stuff over from the UK, and on and on to help me get something rolling on the trails.

As for compatibility issues and similar problems: I have found that most of these problems could have been anticipated -- and are ultimately fixed -- via a close reading of threads in this forum. There is a lot of good experience with O-O stuff out there and a lot of good will to help out.

Joe

mtbr member
    Wow! I was going to buy one of these forks from Unrealcycles on ebay for my HT I'm building but I don't need the headaches! I'll get a White Bros. or P231 instead.

Thanks for posting this this thread!

mtbr member
    This is a hub-issue, not a fork issue, so don't count yourself lucky (or smart).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    This is a hub-issue, not a fork issue, so don't count yourself lucky (or smart).
    It is actually neither a fork issue nor a hub issue. Both the fork and all the different hubs are built within certain mountain biking tolerances. It is a combination of both. The problem arises when someone chooses a hub with dimensions to the extreme opposite from that of the fork's, resulting in too little clearance between the disk brake rotor and the drop-out area on the fork.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    True, it's the combination that causes the problem.
    But if his hub is pushing the limits of the standard, there's a fair chance his problems won't be solved by another brand of forks.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by 8shadow8 View Post
    It is actually neither a fork issue nor a hub issue. Both the fork and all the different hubs are built within certain mountain biking tolerances. It is a combination of both. The problem arises when someone chooses a hub with dimensions to the extreme opposite from that of the fork's, resulting in too little clearance between the disk brake rotor and the drop-out area on the fork.
    Shadow8 is right. I tried the On-One Carbon fork with a *new* WTB front wheel with a 6-bolt rotor setup and it finally fits without scraping, but baaarely.

Just out of curiosity, i threw the same problematic wheel with the same centerlock adapter/rotor on my reba suspension fork, guess what, no rotor scrape issue.

So perhaps this On-One fork *IS* within some sort of industry standard limits, but it's skirting the edge of it. Whether you're comfortable with that or not is up to you.
    Last edited by KVW; 11-27-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: clarification

mtbr member
    I count myself informed.

Thank You Allmightyassumingone!

mtbr member
    I guess we can conclude that the answer to this problem is that, if you buy the on one carbon fork, make sure you get a hub that has a narrower width to the outside of the disc tabs, which I'm sure there are many of.

I think it is still a really nice looking fork and it has great value and there are many great hubs that would work just fine with it.

That is the trick when building up or customizing your own bike, you've got to be careful to match parts that work properly together or else it can turn into a nightmare as seen here.
    Last edited by 8shadow8; 11-27-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    True, it's the combination that causes the problem.
    But if his hub is pushing the limits of the standard, there's a fair chance his problems won't be solved by another brand of forks.
    That's the thing, I think that both products are pushing the boundaries which is bringing them to close together. The fork is probably pushing the boundary of how narrow that part of the leg can be and the hub is most likely pushing the boundary of how far out the disc tabs can be. So ya, there probably are many forks out there with more clearance for the hubs he was using.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Please. We are not trying to add a 2013 V8 to a model T. There should be some standards, On One messed up. Yes its a nice light affordable product, but too much of a hassle to make it work. " Buy the right hub to fit the fork".....
    Fix it or people will stop buying them. I know i won't buy. Its a fork, but i would be a little gun shy to purchase a frame ect..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Rotor clearance for the 26 and 29" forks is the same. Designed with 1-1.5mm clearance at the dropout and
    within the disc mount tolerances.

Mine looks like it's right on spec.

Last edited by threebikes; 04-27-2013 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    My rotor is rubbing, same as everyone else here, blah, blah blah. The rubbing is light and I've actually just been tolerating it for half a dozen rides now. My question is this: I am planning to take a flat file to the drop-out to shave off the fraction of a mm I need for quiet riding; good idea or bad idea? Just for anyone building up a bike with one of these forks, the hub is Shimano Deore (2007?).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    26 or 29?
    I think a better idea would be to shim the hub over. Deore hubs are cup and cone setups. There is a washer between the cone and locknut on each side - actually two washers on the disk side. You could add a thin shim style washer to the disk side to move the hub over. If you were worried and really wanted to keep the hub spacing the same, you could replace the standard washer on the non-disk side with a shim washer as well.
    http://www.shimano.com/media/techdoc...9830676707.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast