Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

On-One 456, but in 29er flavor, anytime soon?

So most likely I will get on the 29er bandwagon next season and already starting to look for a frame. I think On-One should come out with something like the 456 in a 29er variant, along with a tapered headtube and ISCG tabs. Basically an AM steel 29er.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    So most likely I will get on the 29er bandwagon next season and already starting to look for a frame. I think On-One should come out with something like the 456 in a 29er variant, along with a tapered headtube and ISCG tabs. Basically an AM steel 29er.

Thoughts?
    Get to the back of the line!!!! I've been asking for two months already

Prototype new On-One Scandal 29er
    Welcome Back Brant!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Get to the back of the line!!!! I've been asking for two months already

Prototype new On-One Scandal 29er
    Welcome Back Brant!
    That's good to hear. And let's aim for 456 26er frame pricing but with a tougher paint finish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    And let's aim for 456 26er frame pricing but with a tougher paint finish.
    I'll happily take tough paint, but 29ers are still priced at a premium. Either way, I'll happily pay the current Inbred price for a 456 29er. The currently available options for a short, low and slack 29er are pretty limited. If you add in steel and an option for SS (that's what I want) you don't have many options. All I know of is the Honzo(not yet available) and Nimble 9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That would be awesome. Built for a 140mm fork, in steel, carbon and titanium. Banshee has the Paradox, which is pretty sweet, but I don't want a super stiff aluminum frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbenimble View Post
    That would be awesome. Built for a 140mm fork, in steel, carbon and titanium. Banshee has the Paradox, which is pretty sweet, but I don't want a super stiff aluminum frame.
    +111 for the 120/140 fork. Along with 2.4 Ardent tire clearance and ISCG tabs.

Along with firing who's ever in charge of the current bike graphics, they look plenty cheesy.
    The older, less refined graphics, fonts and colors were a lot better IMO.

a tight kick sound
    That Banshee Paradox is a Machine! Thing is like a 4x4 truck but still fast

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Actually the US distributor Titus bikes says November 28 the 456 29er will be available. They emailed me that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96 View Post
    Actually the US distributor Titus bikes says November 28 the 456 29er will be available. They emailed me that
    Any other details?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Any other details?
    No man sorry I just have the date. Email Michael over at Titus bikes and he can probably give you details. PM me if you need his email address

mtbr member
    Incorrect information based on a missing comma?

Should have read "456, 29er, arriving ..."

I am getting closer to nailing one... Chainstay length is one thing.
    It's interesting that a lot of the short chainstay bikes claim a chainstay length that's actually the horizontal distance, not the centre to centre distance.

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post

It's interesting that a lot of the short chainstay bikes claim a chainstay length that's actually the horizontal distance, not the centre to centre distance.
    hhehehehe, indeed sir, indeed!
    A true short chainstay (center to center) 29er is a rare bird!

mtbr member

If I may comment, it would be great to see short CS, with the ability of running a front derailleur and a big tire like the Maxxis Ardent 2.4. It's seems that all the AM-29er HT out now can only run 2.4 tires with a 1x9 system or require a perfectly true rim to not rub with a 2.4 tire and front derailleur as the clearance is minimal, barely enough to slide a business card between, if any at all.

mtbr member
    If I may comment, it would be great to see short CS, with the ability of running a front derailleur and a big tire like the Maxxis Ardent 2.4. It's seems that all the AM-29er HT out now can only run 2.4 tires with a 1x9 system or require a perfectly true rim to not rub with a 2.4 tire and front derailleur as the clearance is minimal, barely enough to slide a business card between, if any at all.
    Besides some straight-up black magic I don't know any way to make a FD cage and a tire safely occupy the same space. I think if you want that combo to work well you might have to be ok with an 83mm BB shell

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Like boomn said, that's a mutually exclusive combo given the current state of drivetrain components.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Actually no, that is not what I meant. Hey man before you shoot the messenger maybe check with the On One distributors because that is what they are telling customers. I just repeated what Titus bikes/Planet X told me in an email.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Actually no, that is not what I meant. Hey man before you shoot the messenger maybe check with the On One distributors because that is what they are telling customers. I just repeated what Titus bikes/Planet X told me in an email.
    I am sure there is a misunderstanding here.
    We have Inbred 29er, Scandal 29er, 456 26" and 456 Summer Season 26" (among other frames and parts) in the next shipment.
    No 456 29er.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apologies. Not shooting you.

It is a misunderstanding on your part due to a miscommunication by them.

I'd love to see the original email so we can work on our English.

Dorkimus Prime
    I'd love to see the original email so we can work on our English.
    I got $5 on it being the Americans bastardizing the Queen's language...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    I got $5 on it being the Americans bastardizing the Queen's language...
    Funny thing to say about a language that's a bastard of German, Norse, Latin, and Norman French Things must have been pretty confusing when the Queen's people just decided to start pronouncing their vowel's completely differently a couple hundred years ago too

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Long Travel 29er

Back to the bike idea... I feel a little behind, but just finished reading about the Ti LT 29er on twentynineinches posted Nov 16th 2010. 2010. What has become of this bike? Why is it not for sale along with the shorter travel Ti and carbon bikes also covered Nov 11th of last year?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Besides some straight-up black magic I don't know any way to make a FD cage and a tire safely occupy the same space. I think if you want that combo to work well you might have to be ok with an 83mm BB shell
    I've seen chainstay clearance pics of the new Chromag Surface 29er with a 2x10 crank, FD, and a Maxxis 2.4 Ardent, so it's doable no doubt. Only thing about it is it's price, but there's nothing else out now that fits what I'm looking for.

Heck I would even go for a 456 29er that had chainstay clearances for a 2.4 Ardent with a 1x9 or 1x10, came with a 21" ST (dropper post friendly), slack HA, steep SA, 44 headtube, ISCG05 tabs. Price would have to be under $450 and weigh no more than 6.3 lbs for an XL 21" size. Along with simpler graphics than what's currently offered by On-One, I much rather preferred the old stuff like on the pink/brown/blue 456 frames and bring back the yellow from the 456SS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've seen chainstay clearance pics of the new Chromag Surface 29er with a 2x10 crank, FD, and a Maxxis 2.4 Ardent, so it's doable no doubt. Only thing about it is it's price, but there's nothing else out now that fits what I'm looking for.
    I think you may be comparing apples to oranges in this case. The left/right position of the derailleur and tire is set by the chainline and hence controlled by Shimano/SRAM. 2x10 is shifted further outboard which is what gives the additional clearance. You can't compare that to a traditional 3x mountain setup. The only control a frame builder has over derailleur/tire clearance is to increase chainstay length until the tire is behind the cage.

I also don't personally consider a 2x in any of the current formats to be acceptable for an AM bike. The low gear isn't low enough and the high gear is too high. That big gear is lost ground clearance which I'm not willing to give up. Especially given the lack of readily available bash guards.

mtbr member

I am getting closer to nailing one... the horizontal distance, not the centre to centre distance.
    Can we expect to see one by summer 2012 or wishful thinking?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can we expect to see one by summer 2012 or wishful thinking?
    Same question here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast