Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New(ish) Lurcher!

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Earthpig 
#1 · (Edited)
Been riding this for a few weeks now - I just don't want to stop mid-ride and take a photo because it's just too durn fun to ride (and I don't want to take a photo post-ride because then it's beer time.) Long time On-one owner (bought my first Inbred 29 in 2006) and this one is yet another great job by On-one. Took me a long while to dial in the fit - shortest stem I've ever run on a hardtail, but it seems the Lurcher handles best with a sub-100mm stem (mine is a 90.) Loving it.

Tale of the tape/build:

Lurcher 29 frame, size L
Full XT set up - wheels, brakes, 2x10 drivetrain
Reba RLT Ti fork, set at 100mm travel
Race Face Next SL carbon post
Niner carbon bar
Ritchey Pro Streem V2 saddle
Time ATAC pedals
Specialized Ground Control 2.3 front tire
Specialized The Captain 2.0 rear tire
Truvativ XR stem, 90mm (inverted)
ODI Rogue grips
Salsa post clamp
Race Face PF 92 BB
On-one Smoothie Mixer headset

I think it weighs around 25 lbs, which is more than the Scott Scale 29 alloy I used to ride, but not bad for my 200 lb riding weight. Pretty fun for a "cheap" carbon HT. Thanks On-one! Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

See less See more
#5 ·
I started with 110 (which is what I've used in the past with most hardtails with the same ETT as the Lurcher) and then went to 100 and now 90. For whatever reason, and I can't put my finger on it, it just handles so much better downhill with the 90. With the longer stem, it just felt like I had to manhandle it through corners; now, it's more of a finesse move. I'm guessing the reason it handles better with a short stem is the slack (for a hardtail) 70 degree head tube angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.